Author Topic: Queen Mary part 2  (Read 100095 times)

Offline B5218

• Boyar
  • And now for something completely different ...
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Mary part 2
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2006, 07:12:38 AM »
Joye - looking at #285, Margaret is in the picture, with her head just above the balcony.  She is to the left of her sister in the picture.

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »
Today its Her Majesties Birtday she became 80 years old, but wear thier any celebrations on Queen Mary's birtday wenn she turned 80?
I was wondering was thier a special birtday picture taken, or was thier a ride in a carriage a some quint of special dinner was thier a family reunion are something?
I would love to know, if some one has anny pictures ar information on that special day in may 1947.
Thank in advance ( same story as on the Queen Alexandra thread because I want to know of bought Queens) : ;D

RN

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »
There was some sort of celebration. There were things about her in the newspapers, and on TV. She wrote in her journal 'so tiresome getting old!!!' and 'It is a great bore to get old!!!' She gave a small party to friends are Marlborough House and even made a speech. Later that year, when Princess Elizabeth became engaged to Prince Philip, Queen Mary attended a party at Buckingham Palace and wrote in her diary 'Saw many old friends, I stood from 9.30 till 12.14am!!! Not bad for 80.'

Hope this helps.  ;)
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »
Thank you Prince Lieven this information made my day :)

RN

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2006, 06:59:40 PM »
There was a good deal of coverage of QM's 80th birthday--including newspapers and periodicals in the US.

I think the color photos posted on either this or the previous thread showing QM in the power-blue dress was part of the celebration.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:30 AM »
Thank you for the information gdella.

RN

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2006, 12:23:17 PM »

HM Queen Mary at the wedding of her daughter HRH Princess Mary the Princess Royal.

RN

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Today its Her Majesties Birtday she became 80 years old, but wear thier any celebrations on Queen Mary's birtday wenn she turned 80?
I was wondering was thier a special birtday picture taken, or was thier a ride in a carriage a some quint of special dinner was thier a family reunion are something?
I would love to know, if some one has anny pictures ar information on that special day in may 1947.
Thank in advance ( same story as on the Queen Alexandra thread because I want to know of bought Queens) : ;D

RN

There was a group photo taken on Queen Mary's 80th birthday with quite a few royal relations in it. I'll have to look it up and scan it. I was thinking of it on Her Majesty's birthday and hoping one will be released of her and the other members of the Royal Family.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:17 PM »

Sorry, the scan didn't turn out to well.

Back row: Lady Mary Cambridge, Lord Cambridge, Countess Toerring, Sir Alexander Ramsay, Henry Abel-Smith, Lady Pamela Mountbatten

Middle row: Philip Mountbatten, Duchess of Beaufort, Lady Cambridge, Edwina Mountbatten, Louis Mountbatten, Patsy Ramsay, Captain Ramsay, Princess Marie Louise, Lady May Abel-Smith, Lady Helena Gibbs, Princess Andrew of Greece, Lord Carisbrooke

Seated: Duchess of Ken, Duchess of Gloucester, Duke of Gloucester, Princess Elizabeth, George VI, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Lord Athlone, Princess Margaret, Princess Alice Countess of Athlone, Princess Helena Victoria, Victoria Milford Haven

on floor: Prince William of Gloucester, Prince Richard of Gloucester, Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Alexandra of Kent

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
Wonderfull picture Keith it is not that bad a all, thank you for making the trouble to scan and post the picture.

RN :)

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 25, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »
No problem at all.

Off topic question. Does anyone know who Countess Toerring is? The reason I ask, it sounds like a German name, and I just thought it odd, that Prince Philip's sisters weren't invited to his wedding later that year, due to the closeness of the war, yet if this woman is German she was invited to the 80th celebration and photographed.

Michael_II

« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
Countess Torring-Jettenbach was the Princess Elizabeth of Greece and sister of Princess Mariana, Duchess of Kent.  You are right about it being German.  Maybe her husband wasn't involved with Hitler during the war.  Philip's sister Sophia's first husband Prince Christoph of Hesse was a pilot and was killed during WWII.  I am not sure how involved the husbands of Philip's other sisters were. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael_II »

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2006, 07:19:25 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2006, 01:12:28 AM »
Please pardon my constant theme, but my interest in the House of Windsor is shared with the great Atlantic liners.   Here is a wall collage of photos and letters, honoring HM,  on the Queen Mary 2, located in the Queen's ballroom.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »
What a beatifull collage Cunarder I really like the picture in  the middle and the on e in the left corner where she is older. Does some one has those two pictures  a part as not in a collage ;D really like them.
Here is one I think is taken at the same time as the picture in the middle but a different pose.

Also verry beatifull picture.

RN :)