Author Topic: Prince Albert Victor 'Eddy' Part 2  (Read 171016 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Prince Albert Victor 'Eddy' Part 2
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2006, 09:06:08 PM »
From the New York Times article on his funeral:

Once the body had arrived (via train) at Windsor station, the funeral procession was:

Prince of Wales, Prince George, Duke of Fife

Duke of Connaught, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, Prince Henry of Battenberg, Marquis of Lorne

Grand Duke Alexis (representing AIII)

Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein, Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark, Duke of Oporto (representing the King of Portugal)

Prince Frederick Leopold of Prussia, Duke of Teck, Prince Ernst of Leiningen, Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar

Adolphus, Francis and Alexander of Teck

Duke of Wurttemberg and Philip of Coburg

The Princesses drove in a carriage down a separate road from the one the procession took.

The Prince of Wales and Prince George were the 'centre of interest' and 'bore themselves with manly gravity, and looked neither to the right nor left'.

Once the coffin was placed in the chapel, a small window in the Queen's Chapel opened and Alexandra, Louise, Victoria, Maud and May took their seats in the gallery. The Prince of Wales stood at the head of the coffin, with George and the Duke of Fife each on the other sides. The other royals were in a group near them.

At about the middle of the service (which lasted about an hour) a chair was brought in for the Prince of Wales to sit down on. As the Bishop of Rochester pronounced the benediction, the Prince knelt and placed his face in his hands.

At the end of the service, the Prince led the royal personages out while Alexandra was seen to remain behind in the gallery for a period afterwards. At the reception afterwards, the Prince of Wales, while obviously weary, had a kind word for everyone.  When the train had first arrived at Windsor station, the Prince of Wales noticed that Prince George's uniform didn't provided sufficient protection from the cold, had a cloak sent for and placed it on him himself.

Queen Victoria, attended by Princess Louise (Lorne), was at a memorial service at Osborne.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2006, 10:30:47 AM »
Did anyone watch the documentary on Channel 4 last night 'the King we never had'? I didn't see it the first time it was on. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I've nothing against Eddy, and I'm glad they done a lot to prove he wasn't slow witted or anything. However, it's a big leap from 'Eddy was slow witted' to 'Eddy was a saint', which seemed to be what they were implying at the end. One letter in favour of Irish home rule and they decide that Eddy was a progressive, 'common touch' man who would have done things sooo differently.  ::)

As some of you know, I'm no fan of George V, but am I the only one who thinks he was hard done by in this documentary? They seemed to be saying that he encouraged the rumours about Eddy and never once mentioned how sad he was at Eddy's death. In fact, with comments like 'he took Eddy's crown and took his fiancee' they almost seemed to imply that George and Eddy were arch enemies or something!  ??? Edward VII got some bad press too, with them saying that if a wife couldn't be found for Eddy he should be 'banished to the Colonies' which made it sound like they wanted to pack Eddy off to the outback forever instead of simply a tour of the Colonies to broaden his horizons. It was full of unsourced statements too - 'the royal family never talk about him': how could they possibly know that??

Whew, sorry, rant over!  ;) Just my humble opinion!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »
Thanks for this post about Eddy's funeral, GDE. 

The winter of January 1892 was a particularly bitter one and George was still recovering from his attack of typhoid in late 1891, so I can imagine what an awful state he must have been, physically and emotionally, when Bertie personally placed the cloak around him.  :(

-0-

Lieven, I tend to agree with your opinion on the Eddy documentary, even though I haven't seen it myself.  I don't think that by providing evidence that Eddy wasn't involved in some of the sordid things he has been accused of, it is necessary to then claim he was a saint, which simply isn't true.   

Any talk of George going against Eddy is erroneous also -- George dearly loved Eddy and those feelings were reciprocated, different though the two of them were.

The documentary seemed to want to tip the scales a little much the other way to me at the expense of others and, as I have the book it was based on, I'm not particularly concerned I haven't seen it.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »
I tend to agree about the documentary/book from all that I've heard/read. Of course, I'm a George V partisan anyway but I don't know why one person always seems to have to be 'tossed overboard' in favor of the other. I think it does a real disservice to what was one of the strongest relationships for either man--especially for Eddy given his shorter life. After Alexandra, his most important relationship was probably with his brother while Eddy was one of the few people who probably saw the much softer side of George V.

The funeral descriptions were very touching, I thought. I really just posted the basics as the various articles take up pages. In the books that deal with the death, the narrative tends to skip straight from Eddy dying to George marrying May and the focus tends to be on Alexandra's grief--not surprisingly. I found the glimpses of the funeral and the demeanor/actions of Bertie and George very interesting and evocative. There were real fears at the time that his grief over his brother's death might cause George, still very weak, to relapse and perhaps die. That's part of the reason press speculation about who/when he'd marry started up even before Eddy was laid to rest.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:10:23 AM by grandduchessella »

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2006, 12:56:35 AM »
It was full of unsourced statements too - 'the royal family never talk about him': how could they possibly know that??

Even if that is true, I don't see why they would expect the royal family to talk about him. No one alive today ever knew him. As much as we'd all love to think that the royals sit around and discuss their ancestors I really doubt that's the case. He's the queen's great-uncle. Yes, his death ultimately lead to her existence, but there are all sorts of what if's about history. What if Princess Charlotte had lived or if William IV and Adelaide had had a child to live? I'm sure they're all aware of Eddy, but can you really expect Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward to sit around discussing a great-great uncle they never knew?

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
It was full of unsourced statements too - 'the royal family never talk about him': how could they possibly know that??

Even if that is true, I don't see why they would expect the royal family to talk about him. No one alive today ever knew him. As much as we'd all love to think that the royals sit around and discuss their ancestors I really doubt that's the case. He's the queen's great-uncle. Yes, his death ultimately lead to her existence, but there are all sorts of what if's about history. What if Princess Charlotte had lived or if William IV and Adelaide had had a child to live? I'm sure they're all aware of Eddy, but can you really expect Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward to sit around discussing a great-great uncle they never knew?

Yes, yes, I know what you mean. They said it like 'ooh, the royal family don't talk about him, scandal!!'  ::) I don't talk about my great-uncles.  ;D Like you say, I doubt the Queen does either. I was just that they made the statement as though the new it to be fact, without giving evidence - that gets under my skin!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Alicky1872

« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »
Remembering Eddy today, on what would have been his 143rd birthday. He will never be forgotten.

Offline Vaska_Meow

• Eat my litter, Bolshie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
Are there any reviews on the AP of the book, The King Britain Never Had.

There are no reviews for it on Amazon and I'd be thankful if someone could pass on a link so that I can get some idea of the book's quality. Thanks.
Vaska is back, and this time...it's personal.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:52 PM »
There are two reviews on Amazon.uk

-----------------
(1 out of 5 stars) 11 Jun 2006

The point of this book seems to want to prove that Prince Eddy 'would have made a fine king and changed the face of the British monarchy'.Unfortunately for me, the book seems to meander as much as Prince Eddy's mind did in his life.Far too much space is devoted to prove the obvious fact that he was not Jack the Ripper or maybe not involved in the Cleveland Street scandal and far too many other pages are devoted to subjects that really have no bearing on his life.A muddling and unsatisfactory book.

(4 stars out of 5) 12 Mar 2006

Andrew Cook sets out to have a fresh look on HRH Prince Albert Victor of Wales or popular known as Prince Eddy.
The prince was the eldest son of Edward VII. and Queen Alexandra and the elder brother of King George V. He already died in 1892. So he never became Prince of Wales (1901) or King (1910) as it had meant to be.

The prince seems to be largely forgotten (except for some history buffs) and his meager historical reputation is a bad one - stupid, involved in a homosexual scandal and suspected to be Jack the Ripper.

Andrew Cook has a different view of the Prince: popular and charismatic like the late Diana Princess of Wales, not guilty of any crimes history seems to believe he committed, a key role figure who would have made a fine king and would have changed the face of the British monarchy.

Quite opposing views: did Andrew Cook prove his point with his biography?

The book offers indeed a very interesting fresh look on the Prince. It is the first proper full fleshed biography; the life to this prince is not just a footnote in the biographies of his parents or this brother and his wife, Queen Mary, who had been Prince Eddy's fiancée. I feel that this is very positive.

Tat Prince Eddy was indeed not Jack the Ripper had been proved. His involvement in the homosexual Cleveland Street Scandal is open to debate. Andrew Cook writes in-depth about it and one wonders why if the Prince was not involved. Not very convincing!

For the argument that the Prince was not the brightest of persons the authors seems to believe that the education he received was inadequate (that is to say it was not Eddy's fault) or that the reputation was not deserved: Page 109 states "he who so notoriously reacted with indolence and inattention could spend long evenings concentrating on the complexities of whist, furiously energetic afternoons playing hockey or lacrosse, because these things mattered to him.
In my view not at all a great or convincing argument.

That he was charismatic and popular as Princess Diana is not proved at all. The author seems to be taken the usual dues to royalty as a real prove of being popular and loved by the population. On the other hand he states that "other than the Queen and the Princes and Princess of Wales ....the faces of the royal family were not well known (pages 132). So does he want to say that a basically unknown prince was as popular as the late Princess Diana? Does that make sense? My answer is simply no. For the aspect of charisma I could not find any prove of that.

The author states that Prince Eddy had made no mark on history as he done nothing remarkable or even reprehensible (page 278). Yes, this is indeed true (quite different from Princess Diana I may add). Mr. Cook continues this statement by adding that the Prince was "spotless" and because goodness is dull, he was easily forgotten. I feel this carries the notion too far. I rather feel as there was indeed not much about this Prince he was forgotten. The whole book did not give one single aspect why this Prince should be remembered as somebody remarkable who would have made a great king.

However, I would grant Mr. Cook to have been proving that the historic reputation could have been better. Eddy was liked by his family and circle. He was properly a charming, but rather uninteresting person. Nice company but not much more.
That he had the stuff for a great king, I cannot see this.

It was interesting to read this book and see if Andrew Cook can prove his basic points. I believe he did not do this as he seems to be "obsessed" by the idea of Prince Eddy being something more and better than historic reputation had it. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading the book.
 --------------------------
So, there you have 2 divergent ones. Based on what the 2nd person wrote, I'm surprised they gave it 4 stars though. It seemed more qualified than that.

Offline Vaska_Meow

• Eat my litter, Bolshie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »
Thank you Granduchessella.
Conflicting reviews indeed. Oh well, I'm going to buy it anyway if only because I'm so happy to see that Eddy is being discussed as more than a footnote.
He was always rather a man of mystery. I'm doubt this book will solve the mystery, but it should be fun to learn a little more about our Eddy.
Vaska is back, and this time...it's personal.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »
Yes, you will always get conflicting opinions in book reviews!  If you go back some pages in this thread (and maybe even the earlier one on Eddy, if it's still available) you will find some discussion on the Andrew Cook book by one or two of the posters here (including myself)!

If you are interested in Eddy and his life, I think the book is worth getting.  It has interesting details in it I've not heard elsewhere and quotes many sources for accuracy. 

If you are looking for answers to the supposedly "mysterious" aspects of Eddy's life, unfortunately, you won't find them in this book, however.  :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:27:24 PM by Grace »

Alicky1872

« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2007, 06:26:46 AM »
Many people will have seen the image of Alix, Maud and little Arthur Connaught, but I think the full image (with EDDY!) will be new to a lot of you! I believe it was taken in 1888.  :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:32:05 AM by Mrs. Eddy »

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2007, 08:08:52 AM »
I haven't seen it before at all, so thank you for posting.  Wow!  It's an amazing photo!  I'm wondering...was it taken during a tableaux or was it a posed studio photo?  ???

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
is the little girl Daisy Connaught?  :)

Alicky1872

« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »
I haven't seen it before at all, so thank you for posting.  Wow!  It's an amazing photo!  I'm wondering...was it taken during a tableaux or was it a posed studio photo?  ???

Glad you liked it Grace!  :D I gasped when I first saw it. As you know 'new' pictures of him are so hard to find. It was taken after one of those tableaux-vivants Queen Victoria was so fond of. Apparently it was performed at Balmoral before the Queen, the Princess of Wales and the Duchess of Albany between 5 and 6 October 1888. Now we have a date for this picture of Eddy as Bonnie Prince Charlie, posted by Princeeddy1864