Author Topic: Love matches in Victoria's family  (Read 59702 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Love matches in Victoria's family
« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2007, 10:21:36 AM »
Well...Helena, Arthur, Leopold and Beatrice all marry Germans, only Louise married a Scot !  ???

Yes and each one precipitated a good deal of sniping on the part of the British public about foreign marriages. It might have even been exacerbated if Albert was still alive since he was never truly accepted during his lifetime.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2007, 08:10:20 PM »
I think Albert would have arranged more political matches for his children in the mold of the Vicky/Fritz.  ???

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
With whom??  Almost everybody else was not Protestant or not liked by Queen Victoria.

-Duke of NJ

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2007, 08:40:07 PM »
Well...Alix of Denmak was not liked by QV too, but Albert managed to come around and selected her. I think a scandanavian match with Sweden could have happened.  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #274 on: May 22, 2007, 09:49:30 PM »
Why and with who? The only one of marriageable age (similar to QV & PA's children) was Louise (b.1851), who later married King Frederick VIII of Denmark; Eugenie (b.1830), who never married but really would've been too old to be considered; and Prince August (b.1831) who married in 1864. All the rest were more of an age with QV's grandchildren or, those close in age had already married before Albert died, such as King Oscar in 1857. 

Albert might have lived long enough to see how the political marriage he made for Vicky and Fritz was working out--not well, though it was a huge success personally. Also how the Danish marriage contributed to ill-feelings within the family. He wasn't particulary set on a great political marriage for any but his eldest 2--marrying Alice to the future Grand Duke of Hesse was a good match but not a great one. Having seen how intent Bismarck was on unifying (forcibly or not) Germany, he might not have wanted to see anymore of his children on the dividing lines, as were Alice and Vicky.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:56:55 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2007, 11:51:14 PM »
Well...Louise might be a good choice for Alfred. even the Catholic princes might be considered (in fact QV was very interested in Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen for one of her daughters. Good looking, rich and well read. She was lamenting how she cannot have him...due to religion. But again had he fell for Helena/Louise, I don't think QV will stand in his way (as her grandaughter Missy did marry Leopold's son...a Catholic).  ???

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
Well...Louise might be a good choice for Alfred. even the Catholic princes might be considered (in fact QV was very interested in Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen for one of her daughters. Good looking, rich and well read. She was lamenting how she cannot have him...due to religion. But again had he fell for Helena/Louise, I don't think QV will stand in his way (as her grandaughter Missy did marry Leopold's son...a Catholic).  ???

Albert also regretted having to discount Pedro of Portugal for Alice due to his Catholocism.  Pedro came from the Saxe-Coburg line just as Victoria and Albert did, so he was family to boot.  I'm not sure if he or Victoria would have allowed such a marriage or not; perhaps if their child was allowed to remain Anglican (as Alfred's wife Marie was able to remain Orthodox) after the marriage, this may have happened.

Napoleon-Eugene of France had wanted to marry Beatrice at one point.  His mother, Empress Eugenie, was a great friend of QV's and said to Beatrice at her marriage to Liko that she (Eugenie) had always looked on Beatrice as a daughter-in-law.  Nothing serious ever came out of Napoleon-Eugene's wishes for Beatrice.  She was a teenager at the time and Victoria was pretty steadfast on not wanting her to marry at all.  He died a few years later in Africa.  Had he and Albert lived, I wonder if he would have indeed been seriously considered as a suitor for Beatrice.

For those who have read the newest biography on Beatrice, what does it say about her and Napoleon-Eugene?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:31:57 AM by eejm »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #277 on: May 23, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »
QV also would've liked GDss Olga (later Queen of Greece) for one of her sons but her age at the time of writing and the religion were obstacles.

I was never sure if the Prince Imperial/Beatrice story was true or some of the romantic fiction that sprung up. It would be interesting to hear what the new bio says.

I can't think that Prince Albert would've favored it, however, with the potential political complications.

Offline Rudolf_II

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »
I was never sure if the Prince Imperial/Beatrice story was true or some of the romantic fiction that sprung up. It would be interesting to hear what the new bio says.

I can't think that Prince Albert would've favored it, however, with the potential political complications.

What 'The Last Princess' says about the Beatrice/Louis Napoleon story is that he was well regarded by Queen Victoria (she was close to his mother, the Empress Eugenie) and there were rumours of 'affection' between them.  When news of the Prince Imperial's death reached them The Queen's journal said 'Dear Beatrice, crying very much, as I did too, gave me the telegram...It was dawning and little sleep did I get...Beatrice is so distressed; everyone quite stunned.'  Dennison notes that this passage was not edited out of the Queen's journal by Beatrice herself later on.  Make of that what you will.
"Many people tell me I am bewitched and I well believe it, such are the things I experience and suffer."

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »

What 'The Last Princess' says about the Beatrice/Louis Napoleon story is that he was well regarded by Queen Victoria (she was close to his mother, the Empress Eugenie) and there were rumours of 'affection' between them.  When news of the Prince Imperial's death reached them The Queen's journal said 'Dear Beatrice, crying very much, as I did too, gave me the telegram...It was dawning and little sleep did I get...Beatrice is so distressed; everyone quite stunned.'  Dennison notes that this passage was not edited out of the Queen's journal by Beatrice herself later on.  Make of that what you will.

Sounds as though information is as sparse on Beatrice's involvement with Napoleon-Eugene as it is on her marriage.  Packard mentioned it in Victoria's Daughters, but was also pretty vague about it.  From what he mentions, NE and Beatrice spent some time together as QV was comforting Empress Eugenie after her husband died.  NE had expressed some interest in Beatrice, but did not pursue it.  Packard surmised it was because of Beatrice's age (she was only sixteen or so) and the fact that her mother was not interested in Beatrice marrying, at least as that point.  I know I read in another book (a QV bio, I forget which one) the bit about Eugenie telling Beatrice that she'd always thought of her as a daughter-in-law. 

By Beatrice leaving the entry in her mother's journal, it may have indicated she thought of NE in kind of an innocent, first love sort of way.  Or, she may have just looked on him fondly and saw no need to take the entry out. 

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 23, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
As others of have said Beatrice wasn't married to Henry until 1885 and the Prince-Imperial died in 1879.  At that time maybe Queen Victoria didn't think about the marriage of Beatrice.  The marriage to the Prince-Imperial might have been too much for the Prussians, and we all know how much Queen Victoria tried to please them.

-Duke of NJ

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »
Yet. If Princess Beatrice had wanted to marry the Prince Imperial, it might still have happened. He had the support of his mother, Empress Eugenie and the Prince & Princess of Wales. Although QV tried to please the Prussians, but at the matter of the heart, she would relent since it became evident that he would make England his home.  ;)

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »
Yet. If Princess Beatrice had wanted to marry the Prince Imperial, it might still have happened. He had the support of his mother, Empress Eugenie and the Prince & Princess of Wales. Although QV tried to please the Prussians, but at the matter of the heart, she would relent since it became evident that he would make England his home.  ;)

Eh, I don't know.  QV was pretty intent on keeping Beatrice with her, unmarried and attending only to her mother's needs, forever.  Plus, there was that issue of Napoleon-Eugene being a Catholic and all...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2007, 08:25:25 PM »
Remember QV did support Helene of Orleans & Eddie...And Eddie was the throne.  :o Beatrice 's match would have less complications.  ;)

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
A thought came to me out of the blue the other day.  For several months before Queen Victoria consented to Henry of Battenberg marrying Beatrice, QV and Beatrice did not speak to one another.  They communicated entirely by note while still living their lives right beside one another.  Is it known if any of those notes are still in existence?   

And did Beatrice and Henry write to one another between the time they parted in Darmstadt after the Victoria of Hesse/Louis of Battenberg wedding until Henry came to Britain to propose to Beatrice?  If so, how did Beatrice hide this from her mother and if not, how did Henry know that Beatrice still wanted to marry him?