Author Topic: Good Advice  (Read 27392 times)

Offline Jim_Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Good Advice
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:29:27 PM »
All:

Here's something else to think about before you post a topic or a reply.  Think about whether someone very close to you (e.g., a wife or husband) may access this site and read your post.  This should be a no-brainer but sometimes we speak freely and don't stop to think about how someone very close to us might react if he or she were to read our post(s).  They may misunderstand or misconstrue something you posted. It could lead to repercussions in your private life.  Suppose you posted that you wished you were Nicholas II. That might not go over very well with a spouse or partner. Guess how I learned this. Think about it.

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA
Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out

--Murphy's Corollary

Online Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Good Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:45:53 PM »
Jim
I think this IS good advice, not just for those close to us, but for anyone reading the posts. Much of the "bad feelings" that seem to erupt are exactly from people who type before they think. So, for this reason, I'm going to make this sticky too.

THANKS for this great advice.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 07:47:35 PM »
This is GREAT. Thank you. I hope people read this.

Offline Sophia_Skymind

• Boyar
  • ...everything is a matter of point of view...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
Yeah...I agree with that, too. That's very important if you come from a large family. Think about it when you choose yourself a username, too... My little sister still wants to know what's mine, but I don't want to tell her, because I'm sure she'll laugh at me...
The first time is luck, the second time is coincidence, and the third time is SKILL!- Shayla Worley

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »
I think it's great advice too.

The same goes with choosing a signature line. Everyone here has nice signature lines but on another forum I visit the FA is often having to delete people's siggy's because they are inappropriate or rude.

A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline reashka

• Knyaz
  • Beautiful in any angle.
    • View Profile
    • Anne Frank Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:59:00 AM »
Yeah...I agree with that, too. That's very important if you come from a large family. Think about it when you choose yourself a username, too... My little sister still wants to know what's mine, but I don't want to tell her, because I'm sure she'll laugh at me...

We share the same Sophia, I guess if my sister found what's mine she'll sure tease me on that. ;D

Here's something else to think about before you post a topic or a reply.  Think about whether someone very close to you (e.g., a wife or husband) may access this site and read your post.  This should be a no-brainer but sometimes we speak freely and don't stop to think about how someone very close to us might react if he or she were to read our post(s).  They may misunderstand or misconstrue something you posted. It could lead to repercussions in your private life.  Suppose you posted that you wished you were Nicholas II. That might not go over very well with a spouse or partner. Guess how I learned this. Think about it.

We really should think before we post because we don't know what's in mind of others and they might misunderstand what we're saying, carefulness and maturity is really needed.
Dare not to be indifferent

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 02:06:04 AM »
Well, I must be a bit dumb, because I'm afraid I don't really understand this thread personally.

I don't come on this forum to talk about myself or my family so it wouldn't matter if they did come on and read my posts...

I have obviously missed the point here... ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Grace »

Alicky1872

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »
I'm with you on this one Grace.  ??? While I'm sure it's always a good idea to think before you type (as we all know, I'm guilty of doing this the other way round! Especially when getting worked up about Eddy! ;D) I'm not sure what our famillies have to do with this. My family know I'm insane and wouldn't be surprised by anything I say on here. In fact I'm usually on my best behavior here. They'd be shocked at how restrained I am!  ;D

All:
  Suppose you posted that you wished you were Nicholas II. That might not go over very well with a spouse or partner. Guess how I learned this.

Yeah, telling your wife you A) wish you were a dead man, or B) wish you had been married to another woman has never gone down as the best way to romance a woman in my book!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alicky1872 »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »
Poor Jim_W--sounds like it wasn't the happiest situation there.  :-/

Bob sometimes asks me about the Forum but he's never tried to see what I write (though I often tell him) and respects my privacy. He knows I wouldn't do anything to embarass him (except post a picture of him sleeping at work in Bagram ::) ) so he doesn't worry.

The biggest problem I've had with posting is just the lack of face-to-face contact where you can see a person's face or hear their tone of voice. That can sometimes lead to some unpleasant misunderstandings where someone thought I was being sarcastic or I've thought they were being confrontational. I've been on both sides of that fence.  :-/
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »
Yes I know what you mean. ;) ;D

royal netherlands

Alicky1872

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:54:54 AM »
Hang in there Jim_Wilhelm, and just tell your parrner that what you really meant to say was that you wish you were Nicholas II so you could treat them to all the imperial luxuries they deserve!  ;D

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 11:46:39 AM »
Hang in there Jim_Wilhelm, and just tell your parrner that what you really meant to say was that you wish you were Nicholas II so you could treat them to all the imperial luxuries they deserve!  ;D

Ooo! Good save indeed!

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 11:54:52 AM »
Yes, that's true that your family might not like what you write. Sure, we don't come on talk about our families, or even ourselves, but sometimes we reference them when discussing something. I am not sure they would always like that! Anyway, it is important not to get too off the wall, but to always think before we type.My family really doesn't know I am on here.. though, and perhaps that is the way to keep it. But great advice, we write not for ourselves, but for the benefit of people on the forum, and always thinking before we type is good. Sorry you found out the hard way! ;)

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
Ooo! Good save indeed!

Agreed. That should get you out of a tight spot!

Offline reashka

• Knyaz
  • Beautiful in any angle.
    • View Profile
    • Anne Frank Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 05:30:03 AM »
But great advice, we write not for ourselves, but for the benefit of people on the forum, and always thinking before we type is good.

Very well said. :D
Dare not to be indifferent