Author Topic: Good Advice  (Read 26600 times)

Offline Brycik

• View Profile
Re: Good Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »
Good advice from everyone. Is it possible to change a username ?

Beatrice

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
Good advice from everyone. Is it possible to change a username ?

It's possible to change your display name.
Go to "Profile" and under "Name" you can choose what you want to be displayed.

Offline Brycik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 11:19:55 PM »
Thank you Laura Mabee

Brycik

Jay

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 09:04:22 AM »
Thankyou everyone. It is all very good advice indeed!! Any more good advice besides sticking to the topic being discussed, proper internet etiquette, and not being rude or offensive?

Alixz

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
My family knows that I post here, but they don't have a clue about Russian history and they have no idea what I am talking about half of the time anyway.

I know that I have, in the past, posted things that were very personal, but that was usually to make a point, such as how Alexandra had trouble coping with the chronic debilitating disease of her son just as my husband and I have.

My son is probably the one who could be embarrassed, but I don't think so.  He posts on another site and has posted things that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, not even with an eleven foot extention!

My only caution is to not give truly important personal information such as "true name" if you are using a user name, true address, phone number or even true email.  Let anyone who wants to contact you do so through the site unless you are very sure to whom you are talking.  I hesitate to let anyone know what part of the US I live in. (And its a very big country)

That last one is from my heart.  I have had such a bad experience with "trusting" someone who abused my trust.

"Be careful out there."

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »
My only caution is to not give truly important personal information such as "true name" if you are using a user name, true address, phone number or even true email.  Let anyone who wants to contact you do so through the site unless you are very sure to whom you are talking.  I hesitate to let anyone know what part of the US I live in. (And its a very big country)

While this is certainly crucial advice, as I've mentioned before, this becomes more complicated with sites like AP, where people are exchanging books and such. You have to provide an address and name for things like this, making maintaining privacy rather tricky. If you're going to participate in threads like the Duplicate books thread and uncomfortable with providing such personal information, it is recommended to use an alternate address, like a work address.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
[size=10]Dear Readers, & Posters !

Before you do anything, get everyone's attention, and make sure they approve and ok what you do !
I would suggest to either give the name of a business [perhaps where you work] in regards to mailing, or receiving mail, as books, or gain a post office box. Either work quite well. Make sure the priviso is to only use it for receiving understandings as books, literature, nothing more; and for heaven's sake, one can use only a first name for anyone. Only your business or post office will and must maintain your personal identity and personal information, never giving it to the public. This IS one way of maintaining your personal data, and your privacy.

Remember in all and any of your posts to those on the global internet, never allow anyone to cross your personal boundries. Make it very specific here on these threads, as well any threads, that you will provide no more than the given address you offer, and or your first name only, if only an alias.

Make postively sure the receivers of anything you will ask for others of whom you ask to mail to, are kept appraised of what you ask the public and them to be involved in. If you do not, you may be involved in lengthy legal entanglements....

But again, the purpose of any of the information shared, especially on the global internet, IS a responsibility we all must be involved in.

Safety is 100% everyone's responsibility. That is more than good sage advice !!!!  :)

Tatiana+[/size]
TatianaA

Offline Jim_Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »
Tania:

I'm trying to send you a PM, but something is wrong and it's not going through. I hate to post this on the forum but its the only other way I have to contact you. I'll try to contact the FA and report the problem.

Jim Wilhelm
albuquerque, NM USA
Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out

--Murphy's Corollary

Offline Павэл

• Oh Rus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Additional Problems:

I have recently discovered why some old friends from my undergraduate days were not replying. They know nothing about Russian history - all they could see was that my facebook account was full of pictures of pre-pubescent girls. "Remember that bloke in the room above us in the 2nd year? Never dates?" and all. The black and white format didn't help them figure this themselves. Now they just think I'm a REALLY SAD monarchist! As if.

The other problem is for those who write poetry or playa about with faded collages. Be careful your wife doesn't think the word 'affair'. (Not one I've had personally).
"[st]Winston[/st] Paul returned to his room and smoked his Victory cigarettes ......"

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 01:42:24 AM »
Have to admit my husband knows everything about this - that i'm obsessed with the romanovs stuff and so on. I was not sure tio come in in this forum, that's my husband who insisted the most... he wanted me to have a way to speak freely about this, with others "obsessed"  ;)
Personally, don't mind if my friends on fb think i'm mad, or something - they already know it  ::)
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
This is very good advice indeed. Because the internet provides some source of anonymity, people believe they can say what they like and get away with it. Even if family members don't lurk here, this Forum is used by hundreds of people worldwide. What is acceptable to say in England, may not be acceptable to say in Russia, and so forth. The worst thing in the world is having a virtual argument with someone you don't even know over something that was misconstrued.