Author Topic: Bedny Bedny Pavel - Movie About Paul I (Poor Poor Paul)  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Bedny Bedny Pavel - Movie About Paul I (Poor Poor Paul)
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:51:38 PM »
 Relatively new film [2003] in Russian, with English subtitles- "Poor, poor Pavel" By Vitaly Melnikov.  Very well made dealing with the Emperor's ascension,  [brief] reign and death. The assasination plot is covered in depth, I feel. Lots of location filming- Gatchina, Pavlosk, Castle and Catherine Palace.
Historical costume drama.
I bought my copy from RussianDVD.com.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Bedny Bedny Pavel - Movie About Paul I (Poor Poor Paul)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »
Yes, I have had this for some time.  It's not bad.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:38:07 AM »
* I did a search in the films section but nothing came up, so I am assuming that this wasn't discussed (or else the search feature is not functioning properly).

This is a Russian language film about Paul I, the son of Catherine the Great. Has anyone seen it?

Lenfilm's most recent major production spins a kind of historical fantasy based on real incidents that's full of ominous implications for today. One night, a patrol rushes into the chambers of the Russian prince Pavel, son of the Empress Catherine; the Empress has died, and Pavel is to be anointed the new Tsar. Thought to be feeble-minded at best and crazy at worst, Pavel soon lives up to his enemies' fears: he dismisses long-serving courtiers, demands that peasants only work three days a week, and declares that state officials should start their days at 5 am. Soon, it seems that everyone who can is trying to hatch some kind of plot against him - including his own sons. Sumptuously designed, POOR POOR PAVEL contrasts the imperial splendor of the court with the sordid atmosphere of conspiracies and backstabbing that comes to define these characters' lives.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:11:20 PM by Alixz »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »
I've seen it  :), in Russian of course. I can't say it's very interesting  or exciting as the movie is not an action . Anyway the actors play perfectly, esp. Viktor Suhorukov, who plays Pavel. Good quality movie.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:33:49 AM »
I've seen it  :), in Russian of course. I can't say it's very interesting  or exciting as the movie is not an action . Anyway the actors play perfectly, esp. Viktor Suhorukov, who plays Pavel. Good quality movie.

Thank you, Svetabel! The actor who plays Pavel looks so much like him... It sounds very good (even if not an action film  ;)).

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »

Thank you, Svetabel! The actor who plays Pavel looks so much like him... It sounds very good (even if not an action film  ;)).

:) In fact I don't like much action movies, I meant "Poor, Poor Pavel" is an interesting thing only for the historians or for those who like costume films I think.

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
I've only just heard about this film - it was mentioned in the entry for Tzar Paul in Wikipedia - and thought it sounded very interesting.  Does anyone know if it's available with subtitles as sadly I don't speak Russian.

Here's hoping!