Author Topic: Once a Grand Duchess, by van der Kiste and Hall (Xenia Alexandrovna)  (Read 18868 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Grand Duchess, by van der Kiste and Hall (Xenia Alexandrovna)
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2004, 06:34:22 AM »
The book is not that hard to find, and $250 is outrageous !! Who is paying that kind of money ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2004, 07:52:30 AM »
The book is not that hard to find, and $250 is outrageous !! Who is paying that kind of money ?

$250 is an awful lot of money.  Especially if you think that new publications with extensive photo reference often retail at about £50 or £60 (about $100)...Still something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.  I wanted a copy of the Pcss Louise biog by Jehanne Wake; this was listed on some sites at around $200.  Thankfully GDElla (what a star) tipped me off that it was for sale on Ebay and I got it for £30, which was a much more realistic price!
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »
Martyn,

have you tried www.addall.com  for books ... it is a great source - as it searches dozens and dozens of book dealers - dozens, dozens, dozens.  For years, I had been searching for In the Eyrie of the Hohenzollern - and I would search and find nothing ... and then try again a few months later ... and nothing ... and then again - and voila!  a copy in of all places Australia.

Since 1983, I have published a bi-monthly newsletter Royal Book News, where I review the latest royal tomes on both sides of the Atlantic as well as foreign language -- so I have a lot of experience with royal books ...
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2004, 09:39:35 AM »
Thank you for that information Marlene.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2005, 09:05:09 AM »
"Once A grand Duchess - Xenia, Sister of Nicholas II" by John Van der Kiste & Coryne Hall. I was given this today as a gift. Anyone read it? :)

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »
Hi, Lass!
Yes, I've read this one (I think I got it via e-Bay), and it's good, but really not what I was expecting.  A lot of the information I had read before (except for her post-Revolution years).  

It's really a QUICK read.  (And wasn't there another book by this name, written by GD Paul's daughter?)

I'm STILL in search of Ian Vorrey's (sp?) biography on GD Olga that was written shortly before her death in Canada.  Has anyone seen this?

E--

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »
The author is Ian Vorres. The Last Grand Duchess. I have it, I like it but it has had criticism from some of her family I think. You can find it pretty easily, and the price range is pretty wild. I just checked and it starts at $35 and goes way UP !
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »
Hey Lass,
I just finished that book last week. Very interesting read! I do hope you enjoy it!  :)

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »
Thanks. :) It doesn't seem like one of these really 'important' books on the Romanovs but I think I'll enjoy it as I know very little about GD Xenia.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2005, 11:59:32 AM »
I thought oh good there is a book about Grand Duchess Xzenia, then I read that it could have been better and I was disapionted. Looks like she will remain a mystery woman. I agree that Princess Irina was even more of a mystery than her mother, where is some good information about her?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2005, 03:13:36 PM »
I was dissapointed with the book too...Dry facts and wonderful pictures.

BTW, I don't think that Xenia and Irina were enigmatic women. They were just beautiful, shy and reserved.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2005, 05:24:13 PM »
I agree! I did like the book but was rather dry at times. However it was interesting to read her letters to Ducky and Marie etc, as well as find out more about her later life  :) She seemed a very kind, thoughtful lady.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
It is a good book, the immediacy and vividness of some parts of it ate astonishing, they take you back to Imperial Russia. I especially enjoyed reading Olga's memories of her favorite niece, Anastasia.She had alot to say that is worth reading, and it is compelling to read how she went from a fairytale existence to a more down to earth one, and handled the transition better than could possibly be expected, and made a second life for herself, one not caught up in ghosts of the past, but one in the here and now. I was impressed by this, and her common sense and intelligent views expressed throughout the book.
One has to admire her. :) I thought this book might be dull, but discovered it gives a really good idea of the last days of imperial Russia.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
I'm STILL in search of Ian Vorrey's (sp?) biography on GD Olga that was written shortly before her death in Canada.  Has anyone seen this?

E--

Someone tells me Eurohistory has a copy for sale!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 11:01:05 PM »
They reissued the Vorres book in paperback last year or so, so it should be a bit cheaper (the local Borders carried it). I think the Xenia book title is a riposte to her husband's autobiography, which was called Once a Grand Duke.
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."