Author Topic: Before the Revolution: A View of Russia    (Read 1728 times)

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
Before the Revolution: A View of Russia  
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
'Before the Revolution: A View of Russia under the Last Tsar' by Kyril Fitzlyon and Tatiana Browning

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEFORE-THE-REVOLUTION-A-VIEW-OF-RUSSIA-UNDER-LAST-TSAR_W0QQitemZ8390926938QQcategoryZ29324QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I came across this while browsing ebay. It appears to be a photo book of life in Russia in general during Nicholas' reign.

Has anyone heard of this? Can you tell me anything about it? It looks really interesting.

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline markov

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Before the Revolution: A View of Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »
'.....a superb evocation in text and contemporary (b & w) photographs of the Russian Empire in the reign of Nicholas II before it was overwhelmed in the floods (!) of 1917 : the IF at home; the two capitals, grandiose St Petersburg and holy Moscow; great estates. provincial towns, peasant villages; Caucasian mountains, Siberian wastes, cotton mills, gold fields; the varied peoples of a gigantic and newly formed Empire; work, prosperity, famine, unrest; the Imperial ballet, Stanislavsky, Faberge; ordinary people leading ordinary lives....'

That's what the blurb on the dust wrapper says, and the book has all that and more. Certainly not a 'must have' (imo), but interesting. Mainly notable for its photos of 'ordinary' people rather than IF (only about three or four pages on them). Both authors have Russian backgrounds and have worked in publishing and translating. It's hard-back, 1977, published by Allen Lane. If you're bidding, I wouldn't go above 7 or 8. It often appears in book fairs and even Oxfam, which is where I got mine for 5. I'll keep my eye open for a copy (sale in Market Harborough tomorrow!).

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »
Thanks Markov!!! :)

I will keep an eye out in Oxfam, then! ;)

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline lilavanderhorn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:00:55 AM »
I have seen a website with coloured pictures of Russia during NII's reign.

Alixz

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:23:42 PM »
A friend gave me Before the Revolution as a gift many years ago.

At first I was disappointed that it was all about the "ordinary" people.  But as a reference point for the Wealth vs. Poverty of the last dynasty, it is a good resource.

I don't know that I would have bought it for myself, though.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:15:26 AM »
I have read this. It isn't really about noble Russia, or life before the Revolution for the Imperial Family. It is more about the common life of people and such. From that perspective, it is very informative, in my opinion. It is good as the last person said, but might be a bit of disapointment to those who are expecting a extravaganza or something. I found the text the best, although it has got good pictures in it. But I woudn't say it is spectactcular.

Offline M_Breheny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »
I have owned my copy of "Before the Revolution" for many years.  While it is true that the book is less about the I.F. and more about ordinary Russians, I still count it as one of my favorites since it gives the reader a real "feel" for what life was like in that far away and lost world.  The photographs are of all classes of Russians -- from the Romanovs and the upper classes to the poorest peasants.  It may not be the best of the best, but I think "Before the Revolution" is worth adding to everyone's Romanov book collection.  

Offline Russian_Duchess_#5

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 04:19:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I inherited this book from my grandmothers friends grandmother.
Although I did check the link, I'm note entirely sure that its the same book. Has same title, but not the same cover.  :-/
But, of course, if you look at N & A, that book comes in several different cover versions, so I'm still pretty sure that what I have is this. GREAT collection of photos that I have never seen before. I havent quite read it yet, but of course I studied each page.
The hotos are mostly high-quality, and i have to say, that there is aphoto of the 1913 Romanov Tercentary celebration, that is worth the book itself. Its amazing!  :D