Author Topic: Windsor Jewelry We Love to Hate  (Read 126511 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Windsor Jewelry We Love to Hate
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2006, 03:09:06 PM »
Definitely- not-a-Windsor but, IMO, one of the worst pieces I have ever seen was sported by that 'poor little insignificant princess' Dona (Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria) in a pre-marriage photo in 1881. Oh if only I still had a scanner! I bet GrandDuchesssElla or someone knows and has the pic and (I hope) can show the hideous piece of jet and the associated neckine that looks like it was run up on a piece of barbed wire..?

Is this the one?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
With a description like that tdora, I can hardly wait!

In the meantime, here's another ruby tiara that just doesn't quite work.  Wasn't this a gift to Grand Duchess Marie (?) when she married one of QV's sons?

Yes, this was a gift to Marie from her father AII. Considering we always here about her fabulous jewels that put the British royal women to shame, it's just appalling that this is one of the few images of them we have.  :P

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »
Okay, so here is the amethyst and turquoise bib, which actually upon closer observation is not all that bad...

But here's the emerald, ruby and gold bib, which to my eyes just looks like parsley and ketchup drips.
As always, other opinions are welcome!

Yes, the amethyst one isn't bad--I don't care for turquoises much though. the 'parsley and ketchup dribs' description for the 2nd is perfect!  :)

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
Action: Wanders back in disconsolately. 'Its not happening...'
Raises eyes.
granduchessella. Yes! That's it. I got the photo from which that sketch is taken. Mayve its the whole neckline arrangement, but first time I ever saw this I thought, I thought...o.

Thanks!
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

WH Auden: The Ascent of F.6

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »
Maybe Marie Coburg's tiara looked better on?  I seem to recall a picture with her wearing that ruby castle and not feeling abhorred- not that the photos always show clearly the jewelry a poor royalty puts so much effort into donning.
I'm not sure about the made-for-chopped-hair tiaras, meaning I don't know if I could tell the difference between an old one or not.  Admittedly, the honeysuckle tiara looks droopy on Mary's forehead.
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2006, 11:01:08 PM »
There's a picture of Mary wearing the honeysuckle tiara in Famous Jewelry Collectors that shows at one time it had a row of diamonds around the base.  It looked better that way, but even so, nicht gut.  

GDella and Tdora, thanks for the effort in finding that pic - looks pretty brutal.  Did Dona have generally bad taste in all matters of dress and ornamentation?  

LenelorMiski - 'ruby castle', as Martyn used to say, 'killing'. ;D
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »
Close as my tired brain could find regarding Marie Coburg's tiara

This tiara, probably the least attractive one she owned, suitably went to her least attractive daughter, Sandra.

It later went to her DIL, Margarita (Alice Battenberg & Andrew's daughter). It was sold at auction in 1989.

It was made of fine Burmese rubies but we've all seen what EII has done with fine Burmese rubies.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline B5218

• Boyar
  • And now for something completely different ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »

You can sleep better tonight knowing that this one will probably NOT come back to haunt us.  Re-reading L Field's book I find that the gems from a tiara which sounds like the loopy thing were from De Beers, given in 1901.  The piece wasn't seen after 1910.  QME  used these diamonds along with others in the collection to make that other one that I don't like. (see page 33 of the 1987 hardback edition).  

It has been interesting reading the book again as many of the items mentioned were not illustrated but are available on this or other sites. Also, the photos now on-line are much clearer than in the book.

Ahh technology ...

I wonder though, as she describes The Duchess of York's wedding tiara as being borrowed from a friend of the Ferguson family (see page 36).  Is that right ?

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2006, 02:54:22 AM »

You can sleep better tonight knowing that this one will probably NOT come back to haunt us.  Re-reading L Field's book I find that the gems from a tiara which sounds like the loopy thing were from De Beers, given in 1901.  The piece wasn't seen after 1910.  QME  used these diamonds along with others in the collection to make that other one that I don't like. (see page 33 of the 1987 hardback edition).  

It has been interesting reading the book again as many of the items mentioned were not illustrated but are available on this or other sites. Also, the photos now on-line are much clearer than in the book.

Ahh technology ...

I wonder though, as she describes The Duchess of York's wedding tiara as being borrowed from a friend of the Ferguson family (see page 36).  Is that right ?

The tiara illustrated had NOTHING to do with Queen Mary.It was made in The early 1920's for the Hon Mrs Ronald Greville by Boucheron.She left it with many other fabled gems to the QMother who had it slightly altered in 1953 by Cartier with the addition of 5 Diamonds along the the top row. Sarah Fergusons tiara was a gift from  QEII (with a modern parure of diamonds)and  is presumably still owned by the Duchess.                                                                            Leslie Fields book is sadly full of errors.Most notably the jewels attributed to the Dowager Empress and allegedly given to various members of the royal family by Queen Mary. MOST of the gems came to mary from other sources......          

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2006, 03:24:40 AM »

This tiara, probably the least attractive one she owned, suitably went to her least attractive daughter, Sandra.

:o Do only the attractive daughters deserve to be handed down lovely jewellery?  :o

Offline B5218

• Boyar
  • And now for something completely different ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2006, 06:32:30 AM »
Thanks for the comments regarding the Field book.  I thought that the comment regard Sarah's wedding tiara was wrong.

Maybe the looper will come back to haunt us yet !

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2006, 07:12:34 AM »
With a description like that tdora, I can hardly wait!

In the meantime, here's another ruby tiara that just doesn't quite work.  Wasn't this a gift to Grand Duchess Marie (?) when she married one of QV's sons?

And while I'm at it, the otherwise lovely CP Victoria of Sweden wearing the, ahem, amazing 4 button tiara.  (How can she looks so happy while wearing that frightful thing? ???)

I've always felt sorry for CP Victoria...I wonder if she isn't dealing with some strange "guilt" thingy in the family...taking her brother's place in the succession,one perhaps she doesn't especially want,due to some PC notion of the Swedish parliament....

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2006, 08:03:03 AM »
I haven't seen a photo of Sandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg wearing her mother's ruby tiara, although I heard there are quite a few of her daughter-in-law Princess Margarita havring wore it.  :(

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »
Of course not--it was a sarcastic comment.  ::) Sandra inherited the whole parure I believe which includes the absolutely gorgeous ruby & diamond necklace Marie wore to NII's coronation.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2006, 08:48:35 AM »