Author Topic: Alexandra forbidding a Nanny to kiss Olga as a toddler- incident  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Nadeshda74

• View Profile
Alexandra forbidding a Nanny to kiss Olga as a toddler- incident
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
I do not know if this was already discussed here, but I could not find it. I ve read that a Nanny once caught up little Olga, when she ran up to her, threw her up in her arms like you do it with little children and then she kissed her face. She had done that before, but this time Alix saw it and got really angry. She adviced the Nanny that she only was allowed to kiss Olgas hands, but not her face. Can anyone help me and tell me when this did happen and the name of the Nanny? I really would appreciate any help and I do not think that it was Mrs Eager. Thanks!

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: Alexandra forbidding a Nanny to kiss Olga as a toddler- incident
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:21:13 AM »
I posted a quote from "Royal romances of today" depicting this incident some months ago.

I donīt know, if it is true, but the facts are a bit different: it was not a Nanny, but a lady-in-waiting, and it was the first time it happened.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
Does anyone else have any information? I haven't heard this before.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:19:35 AM »
Originally poste by me to Olga Anecdotes (page 4)

From "Royal romances of today" by Kellog Surland (1911)

Ladies of the Court were always loath to talk about Olga. "She is cranky," said one. "She is not nice," said another. And one grand lady of honour went so far as to shrug her shoulders and say: "She is like her mother!" When I pressed this and begged her tell me more, the lady merely referred to the haughty, disdainful manner of the Empress....

The Empress received very little sympathy and consideration from the ladies of her Court from her first coming to Russia, and she soon came to hold her head high and walk heedless through the throng..... Perhaps the consciousness of her lack of popularity wore upon her, and rasped. That wide popularity of the Dowager Empress, and her lack
of cordiality toward her young successor doubtless tended to further develop the very qualities that have been her bane. At all events her disposition toward most of the people of her Court has never been happy, and their silent resentment of her coolness has driven her more and more into herself, to the consolations of religion, and her family.

One Lady-in-Waiting, for example, told me that she had been attached to the person of the Empress from time to time for a number of years. She herself is a Princess of old family and in excellent standing at Court. One day, when the Grand Duchess Olga was three years old the Princess and the child were together in one of the nursery rooms.
The Princess stood with her back to one of the walls and Olga came toddling across the room as fast as her little legs would carry her. The Princess stretched out her arms, caught up the child and lightly tossed her ceilingwards, then bringing her slowly down toward her own upturned face, kissed her and set her down. At that moment the Em-
press entered the room. She had no sooner seen this very natural action on the part of her own Lady-in-Waiting than she exclaimed: "The most you may do is to kiss the hand of my daughter!"

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
Thanks for digging that up.

I wonder how much of that was Alix's not wanting a commoner to kiss the face of a grand duchess(which would be haughty indeed!), and how much of it was a mother just not wanting someone to kiss her daughter's face.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »
I wonder how much of that was Alix's not wanting a commoner to kiss the face of a grand duchess(which would be haughty indeed!), and how much of it was a mother just not wanting someone to kiss her daughter's face.

I wonder how much of it was outright baloney. Personally, I don't believe any of it -- the whole story reeks of tabloid journalism and plays right into Alexandra's haughty empress stereotype.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »
I'm with you. Alexandra was shy with adults but at ease with childen. I cannot imagine her behaving this way with any of her ladies in waiting, most of whom, as I recall, were vey fond of her.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
I remember a letter now in "Lifelong Passion". Alexandra write something to one of her daughters saying something like, "Many kisses to you and your nanny." Even if Alexandra didn't kiss anyone, it sounds like the children might have.

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
but then, what do we know about what was considered correct about nannies those days?
do we know if alexandra herself was ever allowed to be kissed by her nannies as a child?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

LondonGirl

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
I don't think Alix was 'haughty' - I think she appeared so in public. And with good reason - the Russian court had decided to condemn her almost before she arrived. How would anyone but the most brazen extrovert react to that? Alix wasn't a brazen extrovert, but she knew her business and had long experience of royal life and protocol from not only her childhood but also from her familiarity with the British royal family. Yes there was a propaganda machine beginning to make royalty fit lower middle class values  - but not in private.