Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Descendants  (Read 20151 times)

Alicky1872

Re: Queen Victoria's Descendants
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »
I must say I've found Marlene's information to be extremely helpful and interesting. When I take on board just how much time, effort and genuine hard work (not just sitting on her keister doing google searches) has gone into her work, it really is amazing. She got where she is today through her own sheer effort--to my knowledge she wasn't born into money like some who have got where they are today because of who they know. She does not constantly remind us that her books are still for sale on the internet.

I also think Marlene has a point about standards having slipped when it comes to this 'business' of Royalty. I am mostly reminded of this when I look at the rash of 'picture books' which have come out recently by 'authors' who cannot write properly or even identify the portraits correctly. It seems that if you are blessed with a fortune, you can go on ebay, win an armload of photos and voila! you have a book overnight.   :-/

I don't care if it's not popular to express my feelings like this. I'm not interested in winning a popularity contest. I just think people jump on Marlene far too much. Envy is truly an ugly trait.  ::)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 09:59:46 AM »
The NYT used to be a great source for royal events - weddings, births, obits, as was the AP (and a great many stories in the NYT and other papers were AP reports) - public libraries also have the Readers Guide and various other of the Wilson indexes.  However, many libraries now get the online version only, which you can use in the library, as opposed to in home access (licensing agreements rarely allow out of library access)
The womens magazines -such as LHJ and that ilk - were also good for royal stories.  I've got copies of at-home type of articles about Nicholas and Alexandra -- fluffy pieces as I call them, so removed from reality.  Recently I helped a biographer working on a bio on Pss Grace, and obtained for her the Look and Life and LHJ type of stuff from the late 50s through the 70s.

British and European libraries have nothing like OCLC ... I was looking for Lord Edward Gleichen's memoirs ... and I went to my library, filled out the ILL request, and OCLC found the book in a Kansas library.

I love, love, love the RDTPL! I used it so much in college (back in the old days before the internet  :) ) and when I worked in libraries, I would use my dinner break on occasion. I have notebooks full of references (packed away right now) and would then hunt down the articles through Interlibrary Loan (where I was lucky enough to work at one library) and now, sometimes, ebay. It's amazing how much old royalty was covered in such a variety of newspapers & magazines--unlike today where it's more of a niche. Sadly, the Reader's Guide is much harder to find now than when I was in college--it's usually just university & college libraries that carry it. Online databases often only go back a few decades--except for some newspaper archives.

OCLC is a great research tool for finding books. If you library gives access, definitely use it.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 10:17:42 AM »
Tsaria,  in all fairness, you are very good about jumping on me, rather than others.  But I tend to take it with a grain of salt.  To be perfectly honest,  all posters are not equal except in being created equal by God.  Some of us are more equal  than others (and I am not talking about me, particularly.)  I am not some giggly kid -- I am  serious researcher.  I do it for a living, and have certain letters after my name ... that does put me in a different queue than someone who is still in high school.  There are posters here who have huge private postcard collections,  larger than mine, for example.  That makes them more equal than me.  If we were all equal, we would all have the same things.  But we don't.  So we are not all equal.  

Never said my way is best ... but I do have that experience ... and a lot of it ...

whenever I see your "name," I am reminded of Tsaria, the lumbering st Bernard who lives next door, and the poor dear drools a lot.  But she is a sweet, affectionate pooch."

or;num=1142460265;start=0#16 date=03/17/06 at 08:43:06]Marlene

This is a discussion forum not a lecture theatre.  

I am sure many people value your work, but we do not need to be constantly reminded that your way is best.

Here we are all equals who share our opinions and knowledge without prejudice.

tsaria

[/quote]

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
I just wanted to say that I purchased Marlene's book along with the companion update last year, having heard so much about it as a "must have".  That is certainly true.  I can only try to imagine the time and effort which went into collecting and choosing the pictures alone.

The funny thing is, that, although I've owned them nearly a year, they still haven't made it to my bookshelves!  They seem to need to stay on the table next to my couch, close at hand.   :D  

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »
Marlene,
You were fine until comparing a Forum Moderator personally to a "lumbering, drooling St. Bernard..." you know full well personal attacks are not permitted.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »
The NYT used to be a great source for royal events - weddings, births, obits, as was the AP (and a great many stories in the NYT and other papers were AP reports) - public libraries also have the Readers Guide and various other of the Wilson indexes.  However, many libraries now get the online version only, which you can use in the library, as opposed to in home access (licensing agreements rarely allow out of library access)

None of the libraries (public) around here has the RGTPL (which sort of surprised me since there are a number of libraries) and 2 of the librarians looked at me like I was crazy--they hadn't heard of it.  :o The online database just went back to about the 1960s. Luckily, William and Mary is only about 30 mins from here and they do carry it. At the base library, the ladies working at the Circulation Desk didn't know about OCLC when I asked about it and the Reference librarian was surprised that I knew about it, let alone how to work it. The public libraries don't have public access to OCLC so luckily the base does--still, they have a 30 mins rule for computer use so I have to go in well-prepared.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 11:27:56 AM »
Marlene, please:
The originator of this thread asked for information. Relentless self-congratulation and ill-disguised slights are not constructive.
Letters? How about: LL.B(Hons), LL.M, PGCE, RGN.
What are these in? All law bar the last (nursing). What does it matter? Masters but no doctorate - I had to work instead. Does that make me qualified enought to respond or not?

BTW I second grandduchessella's recommendation - I had it bookmarked and intended to add it to my post - but the kettle intervened. As it just seems to...
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

WH Auden: The Ascent of F.6

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 11:40:54 AM »
Marlene,
You were fine until comparing a Forum Moderator personally to a "lumbering, drooling St. Bernard..." you know full well personal attacks are not permitted.

I didn't compare anyone to a St Bernard.  I said the name Tsaria reminded me of the St Bernhard next door.   No comparison.  

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 11:43:17 AM »

You are certainly more qualified to discuss nursing than I am, ... however, I am probably more qualified to discuss research methods ...
Marlene, please:
The originator of this thread asked for information. Relentless self-congratulation and ill-disguised slights are not constructive.
Letters? How about: LL.B(Hons), LL.M, PGCE, RGN.
What are these in? All law bar the last (nursing). What does it matter? Masters but no doctorate - I had to work instead. Does that make me qualified enought to respond or not?

BTW I second grandduchessella's recommendation - I had it bookmarked and intended to add it to my post - but the kettle intervened. As it just seems to...

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
There's a thread nearby, where the I-am-research-kahuna aggro has been gone through recently, and I see no point in repeating it. This isn't about research qualifications. Or any others. Although one doesn't get a Masters in Law without research ability.
A request was made for a site recommendation. Informing someone of one's own immeasurable superiority, only to add that this is not available to him, is the point. Why bother?
My first visit to Peerage.com was my last. According to them, Princess Andrew of Greece was surnamed Mountbatten.
Acts of injustice done

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »
YEAH Tdora!  A voice of reason and common sense among the......

Tho if I were Tsaria I wouldn't mind being called a dog, I simply adore ALL dogs.  Dogs being higher ups than people.

Arleen

Sorry Rob.....

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »

I didn't compare anyone to a St Bernard.  I said the name Tsaria reminded me of the St Bernhard next door.   No comparison.  

Acts of injustice done

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
No comparison....?
But why add the dogs characteristics? If we are to interpret Marlene's explanation as she would have us do, then I can't see why any info beyond the coincidence of names would be relevant. Particularly given the less-than-flattering description and the context in which it was posted.
Acts of injustice done

Offline Ssyentz

• Graf
    • View Profile
aRe: Queen Victoria's Descendants
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »
Good grief...can't we get back to the REAL subject...a request for recommendations regarding valid sources for researching QV's descendants...

Note...Source for reference to Princess Andrew as Mountbatten on thePeerage.com. comes from Burke's Peerage.  I think I remember (I must have my notes about that item somewhere around here...I shall look!) that when the Anglicizing of Battenberg took place, highlighting her relationship with her son, Prince Philip, was an item of interest.

Obviously, one source is never enough to substantiate validity.  That's why we've all found different sources on the web.  The more we refer to sources, the more we can discover...not only about the research subject at hand but also about the reliability of sources we find.
Referring, of course, means examining; it is not the equal of citing.  Such is the distinction between a bibliography and a list of works cited.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 03:28:58 PM »
This is the most entertaining the Windsor threads have been for some days, IMO.  Thank you to all concerned!  :D