Author Topic: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news  (Read 281906 times)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news
« Reply #465 on: November 03, 2007, 05:20:22 PM »
Thank you for the direct link. A pity that I cannot download or something that page, especially the part of July 2007`s Point de Vue would be interesting. The article on the event, which was visited by Beatrice and Caroline Napoleón shows also a picture of Marie Bonapartes granddaughter Tatiana Radzwill, married Fruchaud, and it's funny, it's the first time that I see her husband, Dr. Fruchaud! Thank you very much...!!!! She looks quite good there, even when I think she did not age too well. her stature and figure is so typical grandmother Marie in my opinion, even when the face, especially the eyes, are Glücksburg, like Georg. Interesting that I see more Marie in her than in her mother Eugenie.
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
Princess Clementine of Belgium, her son, and his fianceé in Switzerland, 1949
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4474/1949nearlausannete2.jpg

Source: ANP Photo

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2007, 03:14:05 AM »
Thank you a lot...! Some more from the same photo archive (I like the pictures so much... :))

Princess Napoléon at a charity (on the right side you see the princess Jerome Murat)

Prince & Princess Louis Napoléon after the birth of their twins Charles & Catherine in 1950

Prince Napoléon and his newborn heirs:

Louis Napoleón with hat ;):

Charles Napoléon with ansistor in the background (nice!):

Twin sister Catherine with husband (or only fiance at that time?)

Grandmother Clementine (think there's a certain resemblence especially with Catherine):

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:17:02 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
Thank you for posting all of those pictures!! Many of them were new to me.

Here is the link to a book that google.com has digitalized. It is The Bonaparte-Patterson Marriage in 1803: And the Secret Correspondence on the Subject by William Thomas Roberts Saffell. It was published in 1873 and is 254 pages (and can be read in its entirety online). One may need to have a Gmail account to do so, however.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HJUvAAAAMAAJ

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:27 AM »
Thank you!  I will have a closer look, when having more time what I have to install to get this reading.
There is still the book "the american Bonapartes" by Mario Marquet, which is difficult to get, and which I'm interested in. I had a look into it in our German national library, but there one can only look into the books and is not allowed to take them away. Maybe there will be a chance to get it during the next time, because there the story of the Bonaparte- Pattersons is told very nicely and also with a sense of humour. (Have you maybe read it?) However recently I purchased two books, once on Prince Napoléon (Plon-Plon), yes it was in English!, and one on the life of Joseph Napoleón Primoli "Life and times of a Bonaparte". Primoli was also a famous fotographer, the son of Charlotte of double Bonaparte origin (daughter of Charles Lucien, son of Lucien Bonaparte, and Zenaide, daughter of Joseph, king of Spain and Julie Clary). The book also contains a lot of interesting fotos (he had a contact with many interesting figures of that time and photographed them: For ex: Laetizia, Princess d' Aosta, Princess Mathilde, Eleonora Duse etc etc)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 22, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »
The book by Primoli sounds very interesting! I might consider getting it sometime. And no I haven't read the book by Mario Marquet as it hasn't been translated into English... :(

Do you like the Plon-Plon book that you bought?

By the way, here is a 2003 photo of Pss Caroline and Pr Jean Christophe Napoleon with their mother Pss Beatrice. It is from http://www.ibl.se/default.asp

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 22, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
Alexandra de Witt, wife of a grandson (Jean-Emmanuel de Witt) of the late Princess Marie Clotilde, was named as one of the godmothers of the daughter of Prince Pieter Christiaan and Princess Anita of Orange-Nassau.
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=20694

Alexandra was also one of the witnesses for Princess Anita at her wedding in 2005.
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/newsaug05.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 11:13:53 PM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 23, 2007, 02:27:03 AM »
Thank you very much for the new picture and the infos. I had not seen that picture with Beatrice and her two children before, so it was wonderful to see. It seems that this photoarchive only has this photo of the Bonapartes, but it's a nice one!
Concerning the book on Prince Napoléon (Plon-Plon) I must confess that I haven't read it until now, because I still read other things at the moment. I bought it just in the moment, when I saw it on ebay and it was quite cheap for an old book. I'm also happy to have purchased it, because it's rather rare that books on Prince Napoléon can be found also in English.
You said you haven't read Mario Marquet yet, as it was not translated. Do you have a German or a french version? I once saw it in the German National library and there it was German, if I remember it correctly. What about the version that you have?
The Primoli book is very informative to me as well, also because it does not only show rare photos made my Primoli himself, but also gives alot of interesting background descriptions of that time, where they live,  in general. I think it's worth to be read, if anyone is interested in the time and the Bonaparte family in Italy.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 23, 2007, 02:33:05 AM »
You are most welcome for the photo!

Actually I don't own the Marquet book, but the only version that I have seen for sale on the web is called Die amerikanischen Bonapartes. So I'm assuming that it was never translated into English.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 23, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »
The annual Fondation Napoléon History Prizes 2007 for books on the two French empires were presented at a lunch on 19 Nov 2007 in the presence of HIH the Princess Napoléon.

See article and pictures here: http://www.napoleon.org/en/reading_room/articles/files/fonda_grandsprix.asp

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 27, 2007, 01:59:02 AM »
That's interesting!  At the same occasion some years ago a former doctor of me and my late mum won a prize for a book, which he had written together with his daughter. It is called "Medailles of Napoléon" (=the German original: "Napoleon's Medallien), where he presents the different kinds of medailles during the development of the First Empire and analyzes the meaning and their historical backgound. The book is very big, and when I visited the doctor, who now stopped working as doctor to dedicate himself only to his historic studies, he gave me one of the books with a dedication to me. But I must confess until now I haven't read the whole book, because it's very huge and big.
He told me that he won a prize for it, which was given to him in the presence of the Prince and Princess Napoléon, whome he both described as very charming people. He considered the charming character of Charles as a part, which he inherited from his mother. That german doctor is also very knowing in napoleonic history, genealogy and the differences because of the Bourbon marriage of Charles Napoléon. He also told me about Charles: "He has more Bourbon blood than the count of Paris!" I remember that the site, which now tells about the recent prize, also mentioned the one of the doctor, whose name is Joachim Zeitz, some years ago on the same website. I think it was in 2003  or 2004.  Those history prizes by the Fondation Napoléon seem to be a yearly occasion. Thank you for mentioning!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:05:12 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 02, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
hi Britt, you mensioned that a Bonaparte had married a niece of Mussolini in 1952.Can you tell us more about the connection?

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 02, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »
Hello! Thank you for your interest!

Especially here in Germany, where I come from, there is only little known about that marriage and the background, which is a pity.
In 1952 Raimonda Ciano, the granddaughter (not niece!) of the "Duce" married Alessandro Giunta ("Sandro"), great-grandnephew of Napoléon Bonaparte. Raimonda was the daughter of Mussolini's famous, rebelling daughter Edda and her husband, the -also well- known- count Gian Galeazzo Ciano, also called "Mussolini's shadow" (later he was murdered by the dictator) Edda must have been an interesting personality, I have just bought a quite rare biography of her in italian.
Concerning Sandro Giunta, he was the son of Francesco Giunta and Zenaide del Gallo. From his mothers side Sandro was a Bonaparte descendant:
Lucien Bonaparte, Prince of Canino---Charles Lucien-----Julie Bonaparte----Luciano del Gallo----Zenaide del Gallo-----Alessandro Giunta.
Francesco Giunta, the father, b.1887, d. 1971, was an italian politician under Mussolini, he was the national secretary of the fascist party from october, 13 th, 1923 until April, 23 th, 1924. The dictionary says that he was a layer, fighted in the first World War and then became a member of Mussolini's party, in 1920. He was also involved in the march on Rome.  In the years 1921-1943 he got some more titles and positions, as it is to read. I think that the connecton from Benito's granddaughter and Francesco's son came because of Francesco's positions under the fascist regime.
However it seems that the marriage was not too happy: Raimonda married, when she was 19 and Sandro 23. The marriage, even when I do not know the explicite date of divorce did not last too long, because in an article, which was once sent to me by another relative of Mussolini, and which is dated with the year 1964, it is said that Raimonda (also called "Dindina") was already living separated from her husband with 23 years and inhabitated together with her mother Edda a villa at Capri. There are no descendants of her marriage as well, as was confirmed to me by the niece of Sandro.  A little pity, I think. Nevertheless I found that family connection interesting. I know an article, where Mussolini praised the italian roots of the french emperor. But as we now, the Duce was an opportunist, changing the things he said, as often as his pants  ;D...  :-\

In the group of people is Francesco Giunta, father of Sandro, on the very right side (profile)

marriage of Sandro and Dindina:

Dindina and Sandro:

Maybe it's interesting to mention that also another descendant of Napoleon, the count Ercole Gaddi-Pepoli, who descended from Joachim Murat and Caroline Bonaparte -through their daughter Luisa-, had a position under the fasc. regime:

Thanks for your interest!!! :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:23:50 AM by britt.25 »

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »
many thanks for this interesting information

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 26, 2008, 03:48:33 AM »
Thank you a lot for that information @Benjamin, this is very interesting to know! I did not know of all people, who exactly attended the funeral of the archduke. It  seems that they came because of the connection of the Bonapartes with the belgian royal family, even when only distantly related to the descendants of Carl Ludwig. So they really came to Vienna to attend the Vienna before the Kapuzinergruft? As I got the programme of the funeral by a family member of Archduke Carl Ludwig, I know that there were different events, also a soul-mass in Brussels. I would rather imagine that they visited the event in Brussels than in Vienna. Or both?
If you have fore detailled infos, I would be happy. Do you also know anything about pictures? And why did only Jerome and Princess Napoléon come?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:51:02 AM by britt.25 »