Author Topic: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!  (Read 85305 times)

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2006, 04:08:06 PM »
Dear Bob,

Please accept my apologies. The only reason I have deleated any post, it was because I found when I went to send a post, it for some reason duplicated the sameness of posting. I therefore deleted the duplicate post. I'm sorry if I posed a problem to the Board Members. It was not done intentionally. I did not know one had to wait three [3] days before deleting a post. My apologies again !

I also have modified a post or two, but did not know that on this, I could not modify it. Here again, it was done in error. It was not done to pull any one of my posts, or anyone else's.

The only other reason I posted here in this thread, is that I still am unable to leave without pressing the logout button four to five times each time I wish to disengage.

But, I noticed when I wished also to send a response to messages, I was met with an error message 3. something txt, or 2. something txt.

Watching extra, to make sure, I make no errors in the interim. Sorry Members, Sorry Bob !

Tatiana+

I have also been annoyed by references to post only to find the specific post mentioned is not there and you can't figure out what people are talking about.
The concept of modify posts and not deleting them makes sense.
No one should be allowed to "pull their posts".  By posting in the forum you are sharing your thoughts and ideas and participating in a "group" discussion.  Once you have posted they really should remain as part of the discussion forum.  If you no longer wish to participate, don't post anything new.
I hope you can work this out.
BobG

Tania,
The "Modify" and "Delete" button appear on recent post i.e. those less than three days old.
TatianaA

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »
Tania,
There is no need to apologize to me, and I did not  mean to imply that you or any specific person had deleted any posts.  I was speaking in general in reference to the FA's post:

Posts made by you can be modified for 3 days after posting. After that, it locks. Am exploring ways to change this feature, but still learning this software in places.  What I really want is to allow you to modify, but not delete posts. These "mass deletions" of departing users, in their snits of pique really annoy me and I would like to stop that.

FA

and giving him some feedback as he was trying to make decisons about how he wants the software to work.

I also think I was responding directly to a post of yours about the "Modify" or "Delete" buttons, but I don't see it here, and may have scrolled down incorrectly and should have addressed it to Grandduchessella:

I don't even have a modify button come up on my screen.  :-/

I try not to direct any criticism to any other member of the Forum and was just concerned that sometimes in a thread one or more of the main posts under discussion have been removed and it is difficult to understand what all the following correspondence is about.  I have no problem with any member removing a post if there has been no responses to it.  I do feel that once other people send their reaction, thoughts and comments about a post, ithe original post should be considered part of the thread that should not be deleted.  

Please don't think I was in any way criticizing or refering to you in any critical way.

BobG

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2006, 12:15:46 AM »
Dear Bob,

Thank you again for taking time to post to me, allowing me to understand the issue at hand. No criticism taken. Everything is cool :)

Hope your weekend will be a great one, and full of sunshine ! :)

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
The "Modify" and "Delete" button appear on recent post i.e. those less than three days old.

I don't get the button at all except on those threads that I moderate.  :-/
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »
grandduchessella,
That's strange.  I have "Quote" "Modify" and "Delete" on my April 7th post.  
I have only "Quote" and "Delete" on my April 5th and April 6th posts.
And only "Quote" on my March 29th post.

I'm not sure what would cause this, but you might try shutting down your computer and rebooting.  Sometimes that and deleting "cookies" might also help. Another option would be to try "Refresh" when your in the forum.

Hope one of these makes it work.

BobG

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2006, 03:43:36 PM »
[size=16]Has anyone heard when the older threads will be available to read?[/size]

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2006, 03:46:28 PM »
Not until we figure out why some older threads don't work but OTHER threads just as old DO work...
 :-?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »
grandduchessella,
That's strange.  I have "Quote" "Modify" and "Delete" on my April 7th post.  
I have only "Quote" and "Delete" on my April 5th and April 6th posts.
And only "Quote" on my March 29th post.

I'm not sure what would cause this, but you might try shutting down your computer and rebooting.  Sometimes that and deleting "cookies" might also help. Another option would be to try "Refresh" when your in the forum.

Hope one of these makes it work.

BobG

I've tried these.  :(  I was getting other people's message boxes (don't worry--they couldn't be read  ;) ) and did the cookies thing then. I don't know what it is. Hopefully just a bug that'll work out.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
As I've written several times before what almost always works for most software bugs is:

Log OUT. Don't just close the window, click logout.
Clear your cache and cookies from your browser
Quite the browser.
Restart the browser and log back in again.

Alixz

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »
FA, I know that everyone has been harping on how slow the new site is.  It has sped up, but there are times when it takes so long to post that I'm sure those with "dial-up" could go out for coffee and come back before the posting is done.

I have broad band and I get restless waiting.

Is there anything that hasn't been done yet that could be done?????

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »
I haven't noticed that posting takes a long time now. As I told everyone before, the only thing left we can do is upgrade the processor on the server. The new processor has been ordered and will be installed when it gets here. We are always trying to do everything we can.

If there WERE something left to try that would could try, dont you think we WOULD have?

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2006, 08:20:58 PM »
Dear Rob and Bob -

You both should be congratulated, on an hourly basis, by all the users of this site, for all you do for us.  The manners of some folks on this site simply astounds me - Can I ask - who is paying for the software, hardware upgrades (last I knew, new processors for servers weren’t free), and your time?? - I suspect the answer is YOU TWO or Bob's Company.  I’m not aware of anyone on this site paying for these upgrades and your time – I sure haven’t.  

The fact that anyone would have the kahuna's to complain about anything to do with this upgrade shows a real ignorance to the world of computing in the 21st century.  I've worked with databases and in computer support for 25 years and as near as I can see your upgrade was practically flawless.

Anyway, you don't need me to defend you, but the last post by some clod having to wait for a message to get posted frosted me.  Maybe you should make this a pay site - it could solve many, many problems (some of which, a few of us “old timers” have been complaing about for years!)

Warm regards from the northeast to both of you.

dca

ps. To those folks who disagree with what I’ve said here, save your time – flaming me will get no response…

Alixz

« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:15 AM »
This "clod" has been supporting and complimenting both Bob and Rob for a long time.  This "clod" has also mentioned time and time again that the cost of this site must be astronomical.   ;)

The only thing I have to say, and I usually try to stay as far away from contravercy as possible, is that since I have been recognized as a "clod", just remember, it takes one to know one.   :-*

"The manners of some folks on this site simply astounds me"????  Try looking at your own.   :o

Did you really think you wouldn't "frost" me by the nasty remarks you just made?????   ::)

I am well aware that we are guests here and that we are all grateful for the beautiful site and the freedom to use it.   :)

I simply asked a question that many have asked in the past and will surely ask again in the future.  I didn't deserve the "flaming" that you just gave me.   :-/

I would normally not fill this site with the garbage that I just had to in order to reply to a fellow "clod", I would have sent a PM, which (my fellow clod) you should have done.   ;D

FA, this is my last word on this subject.

Perhaps if you do make this a pay site (which I think you are too generous to do), then posters would not be so likely to waste their time and money insulting other posters.  That would be a good thing.    :-X

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alixz »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »
Dom,

Thank you VERY much for you supportive and kind words. Alixz was FRUSTRATED, not a clod. Trust me, this upgrade has made ME very frustrated and I know whats going on.  I"m sure that to many users, their own frustration is only made worse by being in the dark on the state of things. That is how I read what Alixz wrote.  Let's all cut each other some slack on both sides.

But, yes, you are quite correct, Bob bears the cost of this site 100% out of his own pocket. Many people have offered to help, and Bob always directs such offers to Father Markell at the Feodorovsky Sobor, who needs the assistance far more than we do.  We also have GREAT moderators who volunteer their time to help ME keep things in order, and lets not forget to THANK them hourly as well for their time and effort.

EVERY single person coming in here, believe it or not, has the POWER to either create something positive, or be negative and destroy.  Its their choice. Its YOUR (generic and not any one person specifically) choice to use your posting and words to either be positive and create, or be negative and destroy. Amazing, simple but true.

I urge each reader to ask themselves before pressing the "post" button, to review their post and see which choice they are making. The wonderful freedon of THIS place is that we allow you to MAKE that choice (so long as the negative does not cross into harmful to others).

THANK YOU ALL for making this Forum and the Alexander Palace website in the TOP one half of one percent of most visited websites in the WORLD (over 40 million choices at last count)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2006, 07:56:34 AM »
I urge each reader to ask themselves before pressing the "post" button, to review their post and see which choice they are making. The wonderful freedon of THIS place is that we allow you to MAKE that choice (so long as the negative does not cross into harmful to others).

THANK YOU ALL for making this Forum and the Alexander Palace website in the TOP one half of one percent of most visited websites in the WORLD (over 40 million choices at last count)

That fact always amazes me! When you think about the millions of websites out there, that the one that we're so proud to belong to is so well-visited is just astounding. It also helps reinforce the desire to carefully think out posts before we hit send--not just for civility's sake but also the knowledge that so many people could wind up viewing the information we put out there.