Author Topic: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!  (Read 60273 times)

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
Indeed an improvement, good job [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 02:01:51 PM »
I share the emotion of my fellow country kroket above,it took a while to enter,but it was worth waiting.Was interesting NOT to be able to get to the forum for 2 days,used as I,and certainly many others,are to pop in from time to time,but think it must have been an horendous job to fix it all.But who "changed the speed limit"?Thought my PC had a virus,but no,so could someone please put some chili peppers in the system,so it"ll move faster? :P....And I miss the Discussion Forum,how can we let GDElla know that another week has gone and when her sweetheart of the forces is bound for home sweet home......
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »
I too couldn't access the 'Discussion Forums'.  

Thank you to Rob and Bob for making the forum even better.  

~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
....And I miss the Discussion Forum,how can we let GDElla know that another week has gone and when her sweetheart of the forces is bound for home sweet home......
Oh! I agree -- I can survive without posting in the "This or That" thread, but I'll miss having news of GDElla's Bob...

Is it me, or are things speeding up?  :)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 03:06:55 PM »
Well, I have been going "cold turkey" for the past two days. I pedalled home from work so fast tonight I must have been a blur ;)
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 03:12:15 PM »
The new layout looks good! :) I think it is a great improvement that one can now select several PMs and delete them in one go. And I love the new text colour palet.

It's weird, though, that several posts have miraculously disappeared over the maintenance period.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »
Helen,

The software guy started copying over the databases before notifying me, so I could switch to maintenance mode.  Posts made in the very last 45 min to an hour in the old forum didn't make the switch.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »
The new layout looks good! :) I think it is a great improvement that one can now select several PMs and delete them in one go. And I love the new text colour palet.

It's weird, though, that several posts have miraculously disappeared over the maintenance period.

As I understand it, our old Forum is still there, posts and all, it's simply "read only". You might want to PM the FA if you notice anything specfically missing, as I think we were expecting that there might be glitches with the new software. I must confess I haven't noticed any myself, and am really glad we are back after a two day "hiatus".

nelly

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »
Looks nice, but is slooooooooow--& like lots of other ppl, I can't see the Discussion Forum, either--has the Palace disappeared?? :-?

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 03:45:50 PM »
That explains why one of my posts has disappeared....phew, thought I'd been a bit naughty there for a minute ::)
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 03:47:01 PM »
We KNOW its slow, we KNOW that those of you who used to go to the "private" section can't see it. As I said above, we're working on these things, so everyone just repeating them over and over won't help. The Discussion Forum section is actually HERE in the new forum, I've been tearing my hair out figuring out why you can't see it, since I can...

Please just be patient with us this next few days while we try to sort it all out.

and YES, the "old" original forum will be left back up at the old address as "read-only" in case anything does disappear here during the transition.  As soon as we can get the whole thing locked down over there, you'll know about it.

Thanks guys for all the appreciative words!!

FA

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »
Thank you so so much FA for resetting my password (and LOL at the deep blue ocean post!!  ;D) !

Alixz

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
The new site is very pleasant.  However it is incredibly slow.  I am on broad band and can't imagine how slow it must be for dial up.

I can't see the Discussion Forum either.

Also, posts that I made on March 22 and later were not transferred over on at least two threads.

I also am not getting notification of postings on the threads that I asked for notification on.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
Goodness me! What a change! It looks very swanky over here now, thanks FA! :) Excellent work!

My one criticism is that I had to sign in with my password- it took me serious brainpower to remember it! And add me to the list of people who can no longer see the 'Discussion Forum'.

I am very happy with this new layout.  It's very pretty.  :)

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
Helen, The software guy started copying over the databases before notifying me, so I could switch to maintenance mode.  Posts made in the very last 45 min to an hour in the old forum didn't make the switch.
Thank you for the explanation.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"