Author Topic: The courtesy of the curtsey  (Read 11848 times)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The courtesy of the curtsey
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »

Just to throw a spanner in the works.....  in my humble and personal view - I dont see how you can pick and choose who to "show respect to" - the whole idea of a bow or a curtsey is to show repsect to their ROYAL rank and not the individual person's popularity.....  and surely popularity contests should be left to the press ??? 

Im sure that this will be unpopular but regardless of my personal thoughts, I would ALWAYS bow to PMOK as she is an HRH and should be afforded the same respect as any other ROYAL, be it HM, HRH, HSH, HH etc.....  and the same would apply to other foreign royals!

The Viscount

I have to say that you raise a valid point.  It also seems to me that no matter what most of us claim we would do should we have the opportunity of meeting members of the RF, that we would probably be completely awed at the actuality of it, and would be curseying right and left la Mette Marit!  :P
Just the fact that all of us are here, posting and reading in this type of forum shows our fundamental repect/interest in royalty in general, and I believe this would ultimately be manifested in our behaviour.

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Leuchtenberg

Re: The courtesy of the curtsey
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 03:14:05 PM »
I would treat all members of the royal family with courtesy, but now that protocol has deemed bowing/curtseying optional, I would apply this only to those of the RF I deeply respect, such as Her Majesty and Prince Philip. 

These days, with this change in protocol, we are seeing this deferential act less and less but I still think it is appropriate for the Queen to be accorded this honor.  She has given her life to serving the monarchy and is above reproach.  Prince Philip is not exactly above reproach but his devotion to duty and his support of the Queen in her role cannot be questioned. 

The same cannot be said for any other members of the current RF, in my opinion.  I think people will pick and choose related to the esteem in which they hold the individual royal personage.

VERY well put, Grace.   I feel exactly the same.

Anyone suggesting  that Princess Michael merits the same respect and reverence as The Queen ought to reassess their standards.   :(