Author Topic: Windsor Jewels Part 4  (Read 179758 times)

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
Re: Windsor Jewels Part 4
« Reply #525 on: October 04, 2006, 05:44:56 PM »

The pic of the watch doesn't work currently. :)

Whoops! I had put it in the wrong place in my photobucket account and deleted it without thinking! (I won't be deleting this one  ::)) Here it is again:

"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »
I don't think it would be terribly wise to try to force the issue with Mr Munn.  He has already been asked once, and we should respect his response; especially if we want to leave our avenues open for the next time we have a question within his area of expertise.  Of course his integrity is one reason that any of the QVDs would trust him with the info in the first place.   
The next coronation is probably the next chance to see the piece and that can't be more than 25 years or so away - we've waited this long!   ;D

I agree-if said person is worried about security reasons, that's good enough.  (I also wonder if perhaps they don't have insurance on it...although with something like that, it would be priceless-insurance couldn't compensate for the historical and sentimental value!)

Diana sure did like her sapphires, didn't she?  Can't say I blame her. 

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2006, 03:15:44 AM »
They matched her lovely eyes.  ;)

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »
I wonder if she was ever allowed to borrow the Prince Albert Brooch?
And until we meet again,

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
Paul Burrell (and though I query the need for another book by him, I don't believe he has reason to fabricate stories about Diana's jewellery) indicates that Diana didn't borrow jewellery from the royal collection at all, but wore those pieces that had been given to her from the Queen, the Spencer tiara (which Charles Spencer demanded back in 1993) and a mixture of her own and costume jewellery.  He says that her royal jewellery collection was quite small.

Burrell claims that Diana did not like ostentatious displays of jewellery as she felt it took away from her rapport with every day people.

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »

The Prince Albert Brooch would look go really nice with her eyes, just like Eric said. If she had wanted to wear it, would she have been allowed to?

Why did Charles Spencer demand the Tiara back?
"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2006, 09:36:33 PM »
Well...Diana loaned it...not owned it ! Charles Spencer had every right to get it back for his wife and daughters.  ::)

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:24 PM »
Paul Burrell (and though I query the need for another book by him, I don't believe he has reason to fabricate stories about Diana's jewellery) indicates that Diana didn't borrow jewellery from the royal collection at all, but wore those pieces that had been given to her from the Queen, the Spencer tiara (which Charles Spencer demanded back in 1993) and a mixture of her own and costume jewellery.  He says that her royal jewellery collection was quite small.

Burrell claims that Diana did not like ostentatious displays of jewellery as she felt it took away from her rapport with every day people.

But she was loaned and not given the Lover's Knot tiara, though, right? Ditto the Cambridge emeralds. Or am I wrong and they were gifts?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »
They were gifts as long as they remain in the royal family. Every bride was given jewels for them to use in public events. Princess Diana was the last to be given historical jewels to wear on a regular basis (both Sophie & Fergie were not given historically important jewels).  ???

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2006, 01:18:01 AM »
Well...Diana loaned it...not owned it ! Charles Spencer had every right to get it back for his wife and daughters.  ::)

I'm not disputing that the Spencer tiara belonged within the family, Eric, but I question Spencer's reasons for insisting on its return when he did.  Clearly, in Diana's position, she would have more occasion to use it than either his wife or daughters would.  I wonder why it couldn't be shared between them when necessary.   

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2006, 02:10:46 AM »
I think they had a childish tiff and Earl Spencer exerise his rights as owner to claim the jewel back.  :(

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2006, 05:49:51 AM »

I'm not disputing that the Spencer tiara belonged within the family, Eric, but I question Spencer's reasons for insisting on its return when he did.  Clearly, in Diana's position, she would have more occasion to use it than either his wife or daughters would.  I wonder why it couldn't be shared between them when necessary.   
I think the tiara went back & forth between the family...Diana certainly wore it before AND after her brothers first wife Victoria wore it ON HER weddingday....

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2006, 07:01:25 AM »

I think the tiara went back & forth between the family...Diana certainly wore it before AND after her brothers first wife Victoria wore it ON HER weddingday....

Charles Spencer's first marriage to Victoria Lockwood was in 1989.  He reclaimed the Spencer tiara in 1993 and Diana didn't have it after this time.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2006, 07:34:05 AM »

I think he was annoyed (and rightly so) that she refused to pay any of the hefty insurance on it. 

And quite honestly, if I had access to those kinds of rocks, I'd be wearing my tiara constantly-to the grocery store, out to get the mail, etc.
And until we meet again,

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:58 AM »

It has been said that Diana was not fond of brooches and disliked wearing ithem.  QEQM gave her a massive sapphire and diamond brooch (larger than the PA brooch) and she only wore it a few times in its original form - a state banquet with the visiting Queen Beatrix springs immediately to mind - before having it adapted to wear as the centre ornament in a nine-row pearl choker. 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo