Author Topic: Standart interior photos  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Standart interior photos
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »
After going through the pictures again, I noticed that Aleksei's playroom and classroom had the same wallpaper. Last two pictures from http://www.livadia.org/trw/peterhof/
So it could be either one or was there only one room used as playroom and classroom?
Looks like you're right about the wallpaper. My photo-books all identify Aleksei's playroom at Peterhof separately from his classroom. That's all I know for sure on the subject! ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Harald

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 11:17:46 AM »
Dear Sarushka,

I guess we will be able to identify the rooms depicted on the various photographs - I will try to start tonight otherwise definitely over the week-end. To start with is, next to me, the photograph from room number 4 taken onboard the Standart. On the wall behind Maria and Anastasia we can see typical reminders of the 1901 Kiel Regattta - Standart was present at this event.

Quite quickly after Standart came into service the interior of the Standart was refurbished to suit the Empress' taste and hence chintz wallpaper replaced the original wall decoration. In 1912 Standart was again refurbished and therefore identifying a room by it's wallpaper is only possible if photographs are taken in the same period.

I will check the photographs of the rooms by comparing locations of doors, windows, etc. to the plans. It might be useful to indicate the locations where the photographs have been taken by adding the scanned location from the original plans to the photo's.

Harald

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
Harald,
WELCOME BACK!  ;D

Your amazing knowledge of Standart will be of great value to us all. You have been missed for a long time.

FA

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 02:23:25 PM »
After going through the pictures again, I noticed that Aleksei's playroom and classroom had the same wallpaper. Last two pictures from http://www.livadia.org/trw/peterhof/
So it could be either one or was there only one room used as playroom and classroom?
Looks like you're right about the wallpaper. My photo-books all identify Aleksei's playroom at Peterhof separately from his classroom. That's all I know for sure on the subject! ;)

I don't see similiarities at all. The floral pattern in Alexei's classroom is larger and features more leaves than the one found in Alexei's reception room. It's clear, at least to me, that they're different.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
Dear Harald,

Do you think photo #6 may be the antechamber behind the Imperial Dining Room? The railing next to Anastasia has the same pattern although the absence of the door confuses the identification.

#7 I had thought was A's  boudoir on the Standart as the style of the children's clothes are familiar from numerous photographs on the Finnish islands excursions. Also the tassels of A's chaise are to be seen in older photos c1906 to c1909 on the Yale albums which are not as clearly defined as the majority.

Joanna

Harald

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
Dear Joanna,

Room No. 6 is the Imperial Lobby - this lobby is located on the upper deck, forward of the Imperial Dining Room and adjacent to the Imperial Day Cabin (the latter one often being confused with Nicholas study). I can understand that you identified this as being the Lobby behind the Imperial Dining Room. Both lobbies have similar looking staircases leading to the main deck Imperial Suites, but the wall to the left side of the staircase and the lack of a corner sofa to the right of the staircase identifies this as the lobby in front of the Imperial Dining Room.

Room No. 7 is for sure one of the Empress Suites on the main deck on starboard side. To be exact this is the one neighbouring to one of Nicholas' suites to which it had a connecting door.
a - the big, rectangular, window identifies it as a suite on the main deck
b - the location of the furniture identifies it as her room - besides the chintz and use of light colored woods
c - the side table is the original one that came with delivery of Standart from the shipyard

Anna had a cabin on the lower deck below the Empress suite - her cabin is one of the three cabins that are labelled on the original plans as Empress Spare Cabin.

I will put up scans of all rooms as to support identification - I was in Denmark over the weekend but will start shortly with the identification of all rooms.

Looking forward to your support,

Harald

Offline Mashka-Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
Thanks and wlcome back, Harald!!!
You contribute greatly to our board :)
Mashka
"I am excessively diverted" ---Elizabeth Bennett

aleksandra