Author Topic: The Imperial children "sad,sheltered" life?  (Read 92510 times)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: The Imperial children "sad,sheltered" life?
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2008, 05:41:18 AM »
You can read that on lots of sites. The original source is actualy Sophie Buxhoeveden´s book.

Multiverse

« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
Something I have wondered about OTMA and Alexei is whether they ever felt isolated and lonely? As one website put it, "no girls were ever invited to the palace," and that Alexandra thought her daughters should be able to entertain each other. While they did have each other I wonder if at times any of them felt isolated and lonely. It must have been more difficult for Alexei. Yes he had his older sisters, but he had no other boys his own age to associate with.

My sense of Nicholas II is that he was a good man, a kind and careing man who wanted so much to do the right thing for Russia and The Russian People, but who by his training was so bound to tradition that he just couldn't bring himself to make the changes that were needed to save The Monarchy.

In reading this family's story I feel a real sense of sadness not only for how they died, but also in their lives as they lived them.

I know this is a very big if, but if Russia at that time had been a constitutional monarchy much like Great Brittain, what kind of constitutional monarch would Tsar Nicholas II have made? My own thought is that with his personality, Nicholas II would have made an outstanding constitutional monarch. 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
There was already a thread on this topic so I merged the one created today. Please remember to search through the existing threads before starting a new one. Thanks.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #258 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Dear Multi,

Maybe you must read the diary off Grand Duchess Olga for the year 1913, by Reagan Baker. They had no sad lives, but were very happy.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 31, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
It must have been more difficult for Alexei. Yes he had his older sisters, but he had no other boys his own age to associate with.

On the contrary, reading Aleksei's 1916 diary is leading me to believe that he actually had a more normal (by modern standards) social life than his sisters. He certainly had more opportunity to play with children his own age than OTMA did.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Multiverse

« Reply #260 on: December 31, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
I may be able to shed a bit of insight into this from personal experience. I myself was raised very over protected and very oversheltered. I understand my father and mother's motovations in raising me this way. Like Nicholas and Alexandra, my parents were motovated by fear and by concern for the safety and wellbeing of their child or children, but in their fear they carried it too far.

At least OTMA and Alexei had each other. I myself was an only child. There were many times I wished I had a brother or sister just to have another kid in the house.

Many of the same terms people of the day who encountered them used to describe the Grand Duchesses could have applied to me. Seeming to be socially immature for their age. Nervous, uncomfortable, ill prepared for certain social situations.

I'm like a big kid who never quite grew up. At 53 years old I am still single never married, and I occasionally have people tell me there is almost a strange childlike quality about me.

Yes my childhood was very happy, and I'm sure OTMA and Alexei had a very happy childhood as well. But growing up so very overprotected and oversheltered does impart at times a sense of isolation and even loneliness, and also a kind of childlike sense or quality that one never quite outgrows. From my own personal experience I'm thinking the same may have been true of OTMA and Alexei.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
It must have been more difficult for Alexei. Yes he had his older sisters, but he had no other boys his own age to associate with.

On the contrary, reading Aleksei's 1916 diary is leading me to believe that he actually had a more normal (by modern standards) social life than his sisters. He certainly had more opportunity to play with children his own age than OTMA did.

I agree with you there- that's a good point.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
growing up so very overprotected and oversheltered does impart at times a sense of isolation and even loneliness, and also a kind of childlike sense or quality that one never quite outgrows. From my own personal experience I'm thinking the same may have been true of OTMA and Alexei.

Thanks for sharing that Multiverse. I suppose it depends a bit on the individual concerned, as different people cope with the situation in different ways. I too was an over-protected only child for much of my early life and as a teenager was nervous, uncomfortable and shy in certain social situations. However, I gradually overcame the problem although I still dislike large gatherings and tend to avoid them if at all possible. Strangely enough, I married an only child and he too dislikes large gatherings although is forced to attend them on a regular basis because of his work.

I was probably guilty of over-protecting my own son...it is said that one sub-consciously repeats one's parents' behaviour...but he reacted violently against it from a very early age and took every possible opportunity to meet other children, loves parties and various social activities and is now what I would describe as a real "social butterfly" and cannot understand our dislike of parties etc. So I think that at the end of the day it all boils down to one's personality.

Offline Felicia

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
They have played with Sandro and Xenia's children, don't they?
I think their shelterness shouldn't be exaggerated, because the life of very first Romanovs princesses was much more sad - home, church - and early death or elder age as nuns.
I'm sorry for possible mistakes

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »

They have played with Sandro and Xenia's children, don't they?

I know only for Aleksei -- yes. Probably OTMA too. IMO, their life were very enjoying with many friends around them, and rarely they were isolated, meeting people during ceremonies, opening lazaret. I am only looking case from good point of view. But there is also another side of medal -- a bad one.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
Yes I agree that they were sheltered.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
They were sheltered yes, but not in the sense that they had no idea about what was going on around them, Especialy Olga. And as for Alexei, he had contact with childeren, sons of Officers and such. I think also in Mogilev and such, when he joined his father, he had contact with other people. I don't know there were boys of his age to play with but from what we know he hade nice times then. So, yes I think they were sheltered, to some sense, but not as they would have been completely isolated.
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
Yes. I heard Alexei was upset that his father abdicated his rights to the throne without talking to him.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
Yes. I heard Alexei was upset that his father abdicated his rights to the throne without talking to him.

I've read precisely the opposite -- to my knowledge Aleksei never once protested his father's decision, nor his own loss of rank.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »

I've read precisely the opposite -- to my knowledge Aleksei never once protested his father's decision, nor his own loss of rank.

Sarushka is right. The boy only asked "And who would be now the Tsar?". He never asked for his own rights. The idea of Alexei being upset about Nicolas giving up the throne for him comes probably from movie Nicolas and Alexandra, where Alexei is portraited (sorry for that) like a spoilt brat.