Titles, Ranks and Forms of Address

<< < (6/52) > >>

Belochka:
You're welcome sydguy71! ;)

marina:
I would like to know how, in the family, they call each other with "ty" or "vy" (in russian)? If the translations are right, it must be "ty" but...   ???

Shvibzik:
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here goes.

As a king or queen, anyone under you would call you "Your Majesty" or "Sire" (for a king at least).  This also goes for Emperors/Empresses/Tsars, ect., ect.  For princesses/princes/GD's, ect. they would be called "Your Highness".  And for dukes and duchesses they would be "Your Grace".  

My question is what would counts, viscounts, barons, ect. be called since every rank is called by a different title?

Thanks in advance.

David_Pritchard:
I do not know if this is the coreect place for this question either but as there is no protocol topic, this would seem to be as good a place as could a few others.

Your question is one that is much more complicated than you may know. I think I shall break it up into three sections in order to present it in a logical manner. What you refer to as titles are actually called styles, as in styles of address. What you call ranks are just that but a narrower scope of description would be titles.

The next problem to addressing your question is if one should simply give you the forms of address in Russian or to try to translate them into English as accurately as possible to their true spirit and meaning in the Russian language. Over the centuries, the Russian styles when translated into other languages have been codified so to speak. These long accepted translations have not been totally accurate, so please put away what you think you already know about Russian titles and styles when reading my answer.

Members of the Imperial Family of Russia

His Imperial Majesty the Sovereign Emperor

Her Imperial Majesty the Empress

His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke
Sons of the Emperor and grand sons of the Emperor in the male line.

Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess
Daughters of the Emperor and grand daughters of the Emperor in the male line.

His Highness the Prince of the Imperial Blood
Great grand sons of the Emperor in the male line and the eldest son of each of the great grand sons of the Emperor in the male line.

Her Highness the Princess of the Imperial Blood
Great grand daughters of the Emperor in the male line.

His Serenity the Prince of the Imperial Blood
Great great grand sons of the Emperor in the male line.

Her Serenity the Princess of the Imperial Blood
Great great grand daughters of the Emperor in the male line.

Members of the Nobility of the Russian Empire with Native Titles

Serene Prince- His/Her Serenity the Prince/ss

Illustrious Prince- His/Her Illustriousness the Prince/ss

Count - His/Her Illustriousness the Count/ess

Baron - His/Her Excellency the Baron/ess

Members of the Nobility of the Russian Empire with foreign titles that do not corresspond with Russian titles

Duke (Gerzog in Russian)- Addressed as: His/Her Highness the Duke/Duchess or His/Her Serenity the Duke/Duchess depending upon their royal or serene status.

Marquis (Markvis in Russian)- ? - May be one if any use of the title with a naturalised noble.

Vicount (Vikont in Russian)- ?- May be one if any use of the title with a naturalised noble.

DAP

Shvibzik:
Thank you David, that really helped.  I know I didn't get the title/rank/style thing right, so thanks for clearing that up too.  Who would be called "Your Grace" then?  Or is there such style?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page