Author Topic: Eye-color  (Read 14464 times)

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
Re: Eye-color
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »
http://www.alexanderpalace.com/realtsaritsa/

There you go!

Rachel
xx

ah thanks so much!
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
I just red in a book(Olga's memories) that Anastasia had grey eyes. So maybe she had more grey than blue...?

Offline granduchess_leah

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2006, 02:52:24 PM »
Anastasia had cornflower blue eyes ,and they all had blue eyes but tatiana's was darker then her sisters which made them look grey!

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »
well since we cant decide on a color
mabey we could do a genetic chart

what color was alix?
wahat color was nicholas?
. Josh Groban .

Offline Galactic_Misfit

• Currently living in the jetstream
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »
well since we cant decide on a color
mabey we could do a genetic chart

what color was alix?
wahat color was nicholas?

I believe both had blue eyes. It's the only possible combo if all their children had blue or grey eyes, like OTMAA did.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »
we can't be to sure of that

mabey Minnie had brown eyes.
. Josh Groban .

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 06:35:11 PM »
Genetics are always changing and never very straight-forward. DNA has abnormalities all the time which is why babies are born with birth defects. I'm pretty sure both Nicholas and Alexandra had blue eyes but even if they didn't. It's still possible for some of the children to have had blue eyes. I've seen it before. OTMAA all had blue eyes but of course, like today, there are many different shades of blue. Some light, some dark, some greyish. Tatiana didn't have brown eyes but they were probably a darker shade of blue with some grey and that might appear brown sometimes.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Galactic_Misfit

• Currently living in the jetstream
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 06:47:26 PM »
Genetics are always changing and never very straight-forward. DNA has abnormalities all the time which is why babies are born with birth defects. I'm pretty sure both Nicholas and Alexandra had blue eyes but even if they didn't. It's still possible for some of the children to have had blue eyes. I've seen it before. OTMAA all had blue eyes but of course, like today, there are many different shades of blue. Some light, some dark, some greyish. Tatiana didn't have brown eyes but they were probably a darker shade of blue with some grey and that might appear brown sometimes.

I forgot about the recesive and dominant genes when I posted. And we do at times need to take the color of the grand-parent's eyes into consideration. It is after all possible there was a gene for brown eyes floating around somewhere. Does anyone know for sure what color Minnie's eyes were?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:49:45 PM by orange_oceano »

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 08:09:10 PM »
yeah exacty.

i always thought that nicky looked most like his mother and i just assumed that he got her eye color.

thanks again holly!
. Josh Groban .

Offline stacey

• Boyar
  • I wanna be a princess when I grow up!!
    • View Profile
    • Knowitall
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »
Apparently the genetic inheritance of eye color is a bit more complex than the experts used to think (as if it weren't already confusing enough!  ;))

I was just watching a program on National Geographic Channel about the development of the human fetus. They were explaining how almost all infants of African or Asian descent are born with either brown or gray eyes, which later darken to dark brown or black. Caucasian babies, of course, almost always are born with blue eyes, which later can either remain blue or turn anything from gray to hazel to dark brown. They also mentioned that at least several different genes influence eye color--as opposed to the older idea, that eye color was controlled by only one or two genes. So obviously it's a lot more complex than we used to believe!

For myself--my parents both have hazel-brown eyes. I was born with blue eyes (unusual, but not impossible--even by the old genetics!  :P). But strangely enough, when I was about 11 years old my eyes began to change color!! Over a period of just a few months my formerly clear blue eyes changed to green--and green they have remained, for roughly 4 decades! Go figure!! And the very same thing happened to one of my first cousins--altho her eyes changed from more of a hazel-brown color to green.

This same cousin--now green-eyed  8)--married a man named Joe, who is blue-eyed. Both their children have brown eyes!! When the children were small, a so-called "friend" came to visit my cousin, and she suddenly said (in a very snide way):

"You know, Caroleigh, I just noticed the oddest thing! You have green eyes, and Joe's eyes are blue, but both your kids have brown eyes!!"

Without missing a beat, my clever cousin answered calmly,

"So what? The mailman has brown eyes!"  :D ;D ;)

This reply, I am happy to report, left the "friend" speechless.

How my green-eyed cousin and her blue-eyed husband managed to have two (non-adopted!) brown-eyed children, I'm not sure. Except that obviously the genetics of eye color is a lot more complex than once believed!! (And I know my cousin--her husband is most definitely the father of both her kids!!  :o)

And yes, I have heard of people (besides my cousin and myself) whose eyes, for no known reason, suddenly changed color. Odd but true! (What can I say? I come from an odd family!!  ;D)

I would love to see the exact shade of Anastasia's blue eyes!! I have heard that many years ago--mostly during the "Anna Anderson" years--there was a color known as "Anastasia blue".

Can anyone dig up something of that particular shade of blue?? I would love to see it!!  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:34:36 PM by stacey »
Sola Nobilitas Virtus

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 01:42:52 AM »

For myself--my parents both have hazel-brown eyes. I was born with blue eyes (unusual, but not impossible--even by the old genetics!  :P). But strangely enough, when I was about 11 years old my eyes began to change color!! Over a period of just a few months my formerly clear blue eyes changed to green--and green they have remained, for roughly 4 decades! Go figure!! And the very same thing happened to one of my first cousins--altho her eyes changed from more of a hazel-brown color to green.

Eye does change the color. Uusually babies have blue eyes which will become to something else color or then they can stay as it was. Changes does happen when one is growing up. I remember when my mum asked from her friend that does her child still have the same color in her eyes and I found the question was silly. But then my mum explained the reason it was not a silly question at all.  Blue is an eyecolor where's no pigment. Then there's green with some and the brown is full of pigment. And then there's persons without any pigment [like in the Da Vinci -Code]
Green and brown are the *only ones* who do have pigmentt there's of course many variations of them. Both of my parents doese have blye/grey eyes and I have very strong green. When I do have green and if I' having children they can have brown eyes. Two blue -eyes can have a brown eye child IF the brown eye is a domante feature in one or both of the parent's family. And alsso some blue doese have pigment more than some blue -that's why sometimes one is not sure if he does have blue or green eyes... Complicated hu?

ps. sorry fo mistakes in writing ;)

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 02:32:32 AM »
No, that's not true.

Stacey, your cousin and her husband had two brown eyed children because your cousin clearly inherited a brown gene.  She must have had a blue and a brown gene, and her husband two blue genes.  She gave both of her children brown genes, and because her husband could only give them blue genes, they got brown eyes because blue is recessive.  For your cousin's eyes to change colour, she must have had hazel eyes to start off with.  They can sometimes appear blue.

I'll go through this again.  And no, this isn't true in ALL cases; there's always an exception to the rule.  But, the standard scientific explanation is this:

Each parent gives two eye colour genes to their child. 

Nicholas had BLUE eyes.  Therefore, he had to have received TWO BLUE genes from his parents, as blue is recessive.

Alexandra had BLUE eyes.  Therefore, she had to have received TWO BLUE genes from her parents, as blue is recessive.

Therefore, both Nicholas and Alexandra had purely BLUE genes to give, resulting in five BLUE/GREY eyed children.

Unless there was a genetic mutation, none of the five Romanov children could have had green or brown eyes.  There is a separate gene for each of these colours, as far as I know.  However, as grey is a shade of blue when it comes to eye colour, it is indeed possible that some of the girls could have had darker, greyer coloured eyes.  Obviously there is room for shades of a colour to be different within a family, but it would be nigh on impossible for two blue eyed parents to produce brown eyed children.

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »

Unless there was a genetic mutation, none of the five Romanov children could have had green or brown eyes.

Talking about genetic mutations I've red that Nicholas may have something like that.. it was something to do with the identify of the bodies. Russian did not want to believe he had any kind of mutation, and if I remember correctly USA( ? ) game wiht he had... Can this affect somehow, in case this is even true?  ??? Though I do not believe OTMAA had anything else than blue/grey eyes.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:08 PM »
I believe the genetic mutation you're referring to is called heteroplasmy.  This is a condition that results in there being two types of mitochondrial DNA in a person's cells rather than there being just the one, identical type.  This is what I understand it to be, but I could be wrong; I'm no scientist.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with eye colour.

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel