Author Topic: Buckingham palace  (Read 157530 times)

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Buckingham palace
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 06:38:41 PM »
Why do so many monarchs and their consorts, everybody from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Queen Alexandra to King George V to Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh seem to dislike the palace so much.  It really seems nice, I would enjoy living there.   ;D

-Duke of NJ

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 10:12:51 PM »
Wasn't there a comment by someone that it was rather cold (not temperature-wise) and it was hard to feel at home there?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 05:11:26 AM »
Wasn't there a comment by someone that it was rather cold (not temperature-wise) and it was hard to feel at home there?

It was certainly a step up from St. James!
In the picture of the Green Room posted by Boffer, above the door to the throne room it looks like the portrait is that of Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia and Infanta Catalina Michela by Sofonisba Anguissola.  Does anybody know when this picture was obtained from Spain?  Something else, another portrait of Isabella Clara Eugenia by Frans Probus the Younger is hanging in Hampton Court. 

-Duke of NJ

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 05:37:18 AM »
You do not get to see all the rooms in the guide books on any given day.  Only about a quater were open on the day I went. 

Also the rooms open to the public and rooms with exhibits were quite dirty.  All the pictures needed a good cleaning and some of the walls needed a coat or two of paint.

BP does not look or feel as if anyone really lives there.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 11:55:18 AM »
You do not get to see all the rooms in the guide books on any given day.  Only about a quater were open on the day I went. 

Also the rooms open to the public and rooms with exhibits were quite dirty.  All the pictures needed a good cleaning and some of the walls needed a coat or two of paint.

BP does not look or feel as if anyone really lives there.

TampaBay

Yep, I'll second that.

I have been twice in two years.  The place is like a barracks with too much gilding and very little in the way of good taste.  Some great portraits, most of them in need of a good clean.

Plus, you get herded in like cattle, kicked out through yet another gift shop full of tat and end up miles form anywhere handy.

It would have to be either wild horses or a REALLY good exhibition to get me in there again.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »
The palace to see is the Palace of Monanco,

Beautiful!  The Grimaldi Palace  looks like a place a king or prince would live.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »
I forgot to add that I think that it is such a bland building from the front.  We have town halls that have more character......

Next year Windsor - I'm sure that will be a much more enjoyable experience.

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »
Buckingham Palace is falling down, falling down, falling down............

Seriously, the stonework is in peril.   Lumps of it are falling off.   One piece - the 'size of a shoebox' landed on (or near) the Princess Royal's car.   She wasn't in it - the car - at the time.   The archway through which the Queen drives either in her car or carriage, is crumbling.   The Department of Health and Safety have been called in.  They are in debate with the Department of Culture about who should be funding the maintenance.   Meanwhile, every time the Queen, or whoever, drives through that archway, they are taking their lives in their hands.

(Now, that could have presented us with a particularly interesting and exciting predicament yesterday! - old/new prime ministers and their spouses and the baisemains)

To secure the exterior fabric 5,000,000 requires to be spent over the next three years.

tsaria

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
BP is in no way comparablke with Windsor, remember there was the great fire in 1992 and now all the state rooms are new and you can see this. The silk walls are fresh, the gold glittering and also the oak (?) of the ceiling (St. Geroge's Hall) is new.

I think the last great restauration of BP was around shortly after WWII.

BUT despite all this.. I LOVE BP!!!

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »
I've been to the Palace twice as an invited guest. You are not allowed to bring a camera.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »
I've been to the Palace twice as an invited guest. You are not allowed to bring a camera.

And I'll bet good money that you didn't get herded through like an item of livestock, Dmitri!!  ;)

As I said before, I will think long and hard before I part with good money to get in there again (and it's not cheap either!)

Offline Richard_Maybery

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 05:32:18 AM »
The thing which stuck in my mind when I visited Buckingham Palace 3 three years ago were what seemed to be water stains on one of the banquettes in the Picture Gallery. It seemed incongruous, somehow. On the whole, it was quite an enjoyable tour and I would certainly do it again.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2007, 06:09:49 AM »
Well maybe it's worth doing one of those tours for 60 quid a ticket.  It rather depends as well on how well informed the guides are.  The last time that I went there, I had questions about some of the pictures that no one seemed able to answer, which was a bit frustrating.

I think that I would much prefer to pay the extra, had I any further interest in visiting that gilded barracks, as opposed to paying the current ticket price and being crushed nearly to extinction and herded like livestock.........

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »
Perhaps it should be remembered that it is not long ago that the Palace was not open to tourists at all. It is not surprising it is a popular place to visit. I remember people were herded through the Tower of London. I wonder whether this has improved since the opening of the new Jewel House?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »
Perhaps it should be remembered that it is not long ago that the Palace was not open to tourists at all. It is not surprising it is a popular place to visit. I remember people were herded through the Tower of London. I wonder whether this has improved since the opening of the new Jewel House?

Perhaps it should be remembered that it should have been open to the public long before it was!  I do find it surprising that so many people wish to visit, as the experience can hardly be described as pleasurable.

This year I went to Hampton Court, for the first time, which was such a pleasant and interesting experience.  Such a beautiful place and so peaceful....