Author Topic: Suspended Users  (Read 100907 times)

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Suspended Users
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
Lisa and FA,

I have a question to ask, if i may please ? If someone is using every means to get onto this forum, though they have been forever banned, [and one is suspected of entering through a specific porthole, using whatever web base,] can not only you and the FA track them from here, plus those who offer the specific website from where the person is conducting their avenues of distress, be seized in that way ?

I'm sorry, but I am not versed in the complete understadings of the interface, or technicalities of the internet. Still I would imagine there might be specified ways of nabbing these destructive intruders ? I know most of us have their eyes alerted for these toughies, but I'm wondering how or what other ways are there left to address and finalize such persons trespassing as they do ?

Tatiana+

finelly and rskkiya were the same people? i was in contact with finelly addressing jewish issues. can't believe the deception. i wondered why they disappeared :o is dashkova still around? or was she another imposter? she was pretty rude
selina                         †xxxxxxxxx

I don't know if Dashkova is still around or not. AFAIK, she is not an imposter, though I believe she did have a rather hefty agenda.
TatianaA

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
Tania,

The short answer is yes and no. I CAN see specific Internet providers and block access from them.  The other problem is that there are some access providers that are very common, and so many of our regular users also use them, and as a result I will not block these.  (I won't say what they are, so as not to give any new ideas, but sadly several abusive users already know them).

To quote an old World War II poster hanging in a dear friend's house: "Eternal Vigilence is the Price of Liberty"

For us to keep a free and open forum, we can only remain vigilent to watch for these disruptive and obsessed people, which I would rather do than "lock down" the forum like restricing reading to only registered users, or force people to post on a regular basis just to stay a user. That just seems a pathetic, paranoid and poor excuse for a genuine place for learning and discussion. Better to tolerate the small handfull of psychos than prevent the many thousands of other people who come here weekly from deciding for themselves how best to enjoy and learn here.  The greater good is achieved at the price of having these few occassional disruptions.  With ten thousand or more users a week, we have only perhaps five or six of the pathetic obsessive whackos. Not really a bad percentage.  Don't you agree?

FA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »
[size=10]FA,

First of all, you and the moderators have done and continue to offer the best in terms of watching out not only for this wonderful website, but indeed for the frame work of liberty. Thank you !

It is sad to see abuse in whatever form, but when it defies one to be blatant, and curtail the liberty and calm of others then these people are the saddest of the sad. I pity greatly their lack of integrity, and their total lack of sensitivity. In the end of course, they will suffer from their own obsessions, and that is the worst of all.

I agree with you, at this time, it is better to allow the thousands of users entry then allow a few pathetic, paranoids to gain this temporary entrance. It is not however to say that they will not be caught, for I believe they will be. In the interim, we must turn our focus to that which needs our focus and not to these 'strangers' amongst us.

Thanks for all you do !

Tatiana+[/size]

TatianaA

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2006, 12:11:48 AM »
GOOD FOR YOU, FA!  There are those who have gone far further with probably far less cause.   :-?

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2006, 12:37:35 PM »
Tania,

The short answer is yes and no. I CAN see specific Internet providers and block access from them.  The other problem is that there are some access providers that are very common, and so many of our regular users also use them, and as a result I will not block these.  (I won't say what they are, so as not to give any new ideas, but sadly several abusive users already know them).

To quote an old World War II poster hanging in a dear friend's house: "Eternal Vigilence is the Price of Liberty"

For us to keep a free and open forum, we can only remain vigilent to watch for these disruptive and obsessed people, which I would rather do than "lock down" the forum like restricing reading to only registered users, or force people to post on a regular basis just to stay a user. That just seems a pathetic, paranoid and poor excuse for a genuine place for learning and discussion. Better to tolerate the small handfull of psychos than prevent the many thousands of other people who come here weekly from deciding for themselves how best to enjoy and learn here.  The greater good is achieved at the price of having these few occassional disruptions.  With ten thousand or more users a week, we have only perhaps five or six of the pathetic obsessive whackos. Not really a bad percentage.  Don't you agree?

FA

One possibility of reining in the psychos (I agree there are only a few, but those few made a big splash, in my view) would be to implement a Terms of Use policy, that all members would have to accept via a click-through process.  Yes, I know people often don't read them, but they stand up in court, which is why so many websites have them.  By clicking the "I Accept" button, users would pledge to follow certain rules of good behavior and other rules before being allowed to post.

Also, my internet service provider is managed by my apartment building.  My building has free WiFi, but before they turned me on I had to sign a statement promising not to do anything illegal, not harrass anybody, etc.  Would it be worthwhile to report these individuals to the ISP's they use?  Or is that not feasible?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2006, 05:17:02 PM »
We already HAVE a user agreement with such language which all users must agree to when they register.

Offline Darkness_tillXx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:39 AM »
Admin, with all due respect, maybe you should just ban IP Addresses?
I have a little confession to make..I was SkandarsQueen, but †have re-registered under this name because my old profile wasnt working, truthfully. It wouldnt allow me to PM or modify my profile. I'm sorry if this wasnt allowed; re-registering and all. But, now, everything is working smoothly. I think it was the moving from one forum to another that screwed up my old profile. Not to complain, but,  ijust wanted to confess about my re-registering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Darkness_tillXx »

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 06:55:36 AM »
You can do what is called an IP range ban.ect. However you can also surf around the net using mutable IPís . so that sort of tossís a wrench into the IP banís because they can get around them if one knows what there  doing.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006, 10:30:18 AM »
As I said before I DO ban IP addresses. However there are some providers that are VERY popular and we have many users who also use those same IPs. I can't exactly ban the whole city of New York or Los Angeles can I?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »
I have decided that it actually is constructive to demonstrate that this has been a problem, and have decided to "out" the alias names of several other suspended users, as I have been accused of unfairly banning them.

Rskkiya aka: finelly, elfwine, catt.sydney, leushino, praskovia, vera figner, barishchina

Darth Olga: oscarwilde, Oscar Wilde, comrade, Olga Rodionovna

CalebG.Money: bigbi, annaanderson, Doggy, cornmuffin, anastasiaclaimant, J Christ Anderson

UPDATE:

CalebG.Money: bigbi, annaanderson, Doggy, cornmuffin, anastasiaclaimant, J Christ Anderson, applespidersauce

Offline OlgaNRomanovaFan

• Boyar
  • Olga Nicholaievna 1906
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 06:16:33 AM »
applespidersauce

I did wonder if this was another alias. They used the same arguments that AA was AN that the other names previously did.

Thanks to Jelisaveta!

"Father asks to...remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but love." Olga

Offline GD Alexandra

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »
applespidersauce

I did wonder if this was another alias. They used the same arguments that AA was AN that the other names previously did.

Me too.. got to that conclusion when I was in the Anastasia thread and he/she came out with a really strange argument.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »
I have decided that it actually is constructive to demonstrate that this has been a problem, and have decided to "out" the alias names of several other suspended users, as I have been accused of unfairly banning them.

Rskkiya aka: finelly, elfwine, catt.sydney, leushino, praskovia, vera figner, barishchina

Darth Olga: oscarwilde, Oscar Wilde, comrade, Olga Rodionovna

CalebG.Money: bigbi, annaanderson, Doggy, cornmuffin, anastasiaclaimant, J Christ Anderson

UPDATE:

CalebG.Money: bigbi, annaanderson, Doggy, cornmuffin, anastasiaclaimant, J Christ Anderson, applespidersauce

NEW UPDATE:

CalebG.Money: bigbi, annaanderson, Doggy, cornmuffin, anastasiaclaimant, J Christ Anderson, applespidersauce, Anna Sue (claiming to be a "San Francisco lesbian!!"  ;D)

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »
That has to be the most unique yet.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »
 ;D  rlf   ;D  lol

well all i can say is they are 'kind of' inventive...
TatianaA