Author Topic: The Last Tsar and Tsarina by Virginia Cowles  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
The Last Tsar and Tsarina by Virginia Cowles
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »
Hi there

I'm really happy because I found a copy of The Romanovs by Virginia Cowles for 1.50 in a charity shop! I know it's not looked on favourably by some but I took it out from my libary and thought it was really good for the basic facts about the Romanovs and their reign, I do not like books that go into too much detail. They get confusing, I found that with the Fate of the Romanovs.

Anyway, the point of the thread, further down I found a copy of The Last Tsar and Tsarina, again by Virginia Cowles marked up for 2.99!  Since I had no money left I asked if they could hold it back for me, which they kindly agreed to. Have I done well? I looked inside and it looked great with lot's of interesting photos I've never seen!

All opinions and thoughts welcome!

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: The Last Tsar and Tsarina by Virginia Cowles
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:00:50 AM »
Does anybody know anything about either of these books? I haven't heard of them although I've heard the author's name.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:21:57 AM »
I have The Last Tsar and Tsarina.

It's dated now, ie it says stuff like 'what happened to the Romanovs still remains a mystery', etc, because it was written before the discovery of the bones, but it's still a lovely book with some marvellous photographs, some of which are quite rare.  You've definitely done well.  I wouldn't pay more than about 5 for it myself, but then I'm a student and I'm tight.  But 2.99 is a great deal and it's a really nice book you will treasure.

I haven't read The Romanovs, but I've heard it's good for basic facts.

Where do you live? None of the charity shops in London ever have anything about the Romanovs in them! God knows I look hard enough! I get most of my books from amazon, and from a very kind donator from this forum! He is the one who sent me The Last Tsar and Tsarina, actually! I'd love to come across two such finds...though saying that, I did find Hessian Tapestry in a charity shop in the town I go to university, so I shouldn't really complain...

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »
Hi Rachel

Thankyou for the positive feedback on the book, I can't wait to get it now!

I live in Somerset, specifically in a small town called Chard (rubbish for charity shops!) but I go to college in Taunton, which has around 12 charity shops! And I have occasionally found a few gems, besides the two mentioned today, I also got Anastasia the Lost Princess by James Blair Lovell, which is interesting, despite being wildly inaccurate on some fronts.

I'd love to read Hessian tapestry, so your lucky to have it, I'm sure you'll find more at some point, I've only been finding books on the Romanovs second hand quite recently.

Best

Rachael

It's not fair!

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
This is a really good book, I thought. Immediatley upon opening my copy (old dusty hardcover without a jacket) there is a cute picture I haven't seen before on the inner lining, of OTMA with a pony...and one of the Grand Duchesses is *actually* smiling!