Author Topic: Standardizing the Entries  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Standardizing the Entries
« on: September 04, 2004, 06:08:43 AM »
Dear Forum Administrator -

I echo what everyone else has said about what a great site this is.  The depth and variety of material on it keeps one interested and enjoying it.  

One of the attributes that makes this a strong site is also, in my view, one of its weaknesses.

There is some great information in here - but because we can all type in headings of our own design there is little standardization which makes searching for things difficult.  For example, I am a horrible speller in general, but am particularly bad with Russian names.  So I might start a topic on the death of Mikhail Nickoleavich and spell the name much differently than others.  We've all seen topics that are duplicates of other topics, but with titles that are slightly different.

I'm afraid that this fact will make the long term storage and use of this information difficult, compounding the problem will be the ongoing growth.

Have you thought about how you want to keep this information log term?  Will there be any standardization and/or catagorizaton of the entries in this system?

I realize what I'm saying can go too far the other way as well, but it would be too bad for valuable information to get lost in here.  Eventually, I can envision a librarian type organizing, catorgizing and separating the wheat from the chaff in here so to speak on this site.

What do other sites like this do for long term storage?

Just wondering...

dca