Author Topic: Broken Engagements  (Read 8207 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Broken Engagements
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 09:39:02 PM »
Yes it was the same Helene.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Agneschen

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »
Prince Leopold of Bavaria was engaged (though I am not sure it was official) to Princess Amalie of Saxe Coburg but turned her down to marry Archduchess Gisela of Austria. Amalie later married Gisela's uncle Duke Mapperl in Bavaria.

Prince Philippe of Orléans (son of Philippe Count of Paris & Isabelle of Orléans-Montpensier - brother to the above mentioned Hélène) was officially engaged to his first cousin Marguerite of Orléans-Chartres when both were still very young. But Philippe soon felt trapped (he thought he had been pushed into it by his parents) and broke the engagement. He had a long standing affair with the singer Nelly Melba which scandalised his family and later married Archduchess Marie Dorothée of Austria. Marguerite married Patrice of Mac-Mahon, Duke of Magenta when she was 27.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »
There were wedding plans for King D. Manuel II of Portugal with Alexandra of Fife and Patsy Connaught.
Postcards were printed with the king and both princesses (individually of course  ;D )

Miechen wanted Pss.Helen to marry the future king Albert I of Belgium, but he swapped her for Elizabeth in Bavaria.

In the 14th century King D.Fernando I of Portugal was bethroted to Pss. Leonor of Aragon.
Then he lost a war with Castille and he had to marry Pss. Leonor of Castille to seal the peace.
In the end he married Leonor Telles de Menezes, a bewitching widow.
At least he remained faithful to  ...  the name  ;)

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
There were wedding plans for King D. Manuel II of Portugal with Alexandra of Fife and Patsy Connaught.
Patsy Connnaught was also "married off" to Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden (the eldest son of the Swedish crown prince) in the early 1900s, but he prefered Patsy´s elder sister Daisy and married her instead.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
We'll just want to note that the latter examples were false engagements rather than broken ones to avoid any confusion. Patsy never broke off an engagement--they were made up by the press.

Prince Albert of Belgium also never showed an interest in Helen--that was solely Miechen's desire. (Don't want poor, good Albert to be seen as a jilt.  :) ) I think Helen was already set on Nicholas of Greece by then but am not sure.

If we want to expand this to include false engagements there are a good number of them out there. I've seen newspaper articles marrying off all kinds of royals and you wonder 'where did they even come up with that?'.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/