Author Topic: Broken Engagements  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Broken Engagements
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
I've been reading Prince Christopher of Greece's memoirs and he mentions two interesting broken engagements that I had never read about.

On p. 156, he states that Olga of Greece, his niece, "became engaged to the Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark and then suddenly a misunderstanding arose and the engagement was broken off."

Does anyone know anything further about this?  Why was the engagement broken?

On pp. 95-97, Prince Christopher details his own broken engagement to Princess Alexandra of Fife.  Princess Victoria (Alexandra's aunt and Christopher's cousin) enthusiastically arranged this.  She begged a weekend invitation from the Fifes for Christopher and he and Alexandra were young and hit it off.  They became secretly engaged on that weekend.  However, unknown to Prince Christopher, the Duke of Fife had made Toria promise that the Prince would not propose to his daughter that weekend, and Toria did not tell the prince about this little requirement.  The next day the young couple decided to tell her parents and a row ensued, Fife accusing the prince of not keeping his "word."

I just thought these were interesting "what-if" situations, and I know there were many others, I've seen several discussed on the Forum.  

Let's please list the broken engagements here for comment and discussion.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Engagements
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:54:12 AM »
Is the book any good?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:05:52 AM »
I think it is good, not heavy reading at all and full of personal little tidbits about many of the royals that only a family member would know.
--Cicero

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:19:11 AM »
I've been reading Prince Christopher of Greece's memoirs and he mentions two interesting broken engagements that I had never read about.

On p. 156, he states that Olga of Greece, his niece, "became engaged to the Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark and then suddenly a misunderstanding arose and the engagement was broken off."

This was also mentioned inA Royal Family - but I can´t remember if there were reasons given for the break-off... Anyone?

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »

This was also mentioned inA Royal Family - but I can´t remember if there were reasons given for the break-off... Anyone?

Different personalities, and Olga appearently didn't like his "sailor manners".

A picture of Olga and Frederik during their short engagement.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:25:21 PM »
Olga wrote in her diary of her engagement to 'Rico' (they had met up at Cannes) that 'it is all so very change(d) and we can hardly realize it is true!...It is all too new to be thoroughly understood, and all I know is that I am very fond of him and felt I can trust him, and I feel in him a good strong friend.'

Commemorative postcards were printed up (much like her own mother's aborted engagement decades prior to Prince Max of Baden). Frederick and she had to soon part and the time apart seems to have strained the relationship and allowed time for doubts and reconsiderations to sink in. There was also the issue of Rico's rather heavy drinking.

Rico began to be rather derelict in his attentions to his fiancee, sending very few letters to her once she arrived back in Greece. Around this time Olga seems to indicate that doubts were creeping in.

Olga soon confided in her diary she was starting to develop feelings for 'someone else' besides her fiance and this was depressing her. Soon her engagement was broken off & Olga wrote that 'all is finished' between Rico and herself. They had met up and talked for 45 minutes but she recorded that he had 'quite made up his mind' to break the engagement. Olga was 'willing to try again but he said he had no more love for me.' Olga, not seeming too broken-hearted, returned the ring.  

It seems fortunate that the 2 realized their feelings were not strong enough to make a strong and happy marriage. They parted amicably and remained on friendly relations for the rest of their lives.

She was soon to encounter Prince Paul and marry him in 1923, while Rico wouldn't marry for over a decade, finally marrying Princess Ingrid of Sweden (granddaughter of Arthur, Duke of Connaught) and having one of the happier royal marriages on record.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:17:25 PM »
Thanks, Grandduchessella, for the information. :) :)

Was Olga's diary published?
--Cicero

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:06:58 PM »
There were excerpts from it in the revised memoirs of her father Prince Nicholas, My Fifty Years, which Art recently published.

As for more broken engagements:

GDss Helen Vladmirovna & Max of Baden--he called it off

King Ludwig of Bavaria & Sophie of Bavaria (Sisi's sister)

I think that Moretta & Sandro were unofficially betrothed

Ileana of Romania was engaged to Daisy Pless's son Lexl

Miechen was engaged to someone (I forget who) who she tossed over to try for GD Vladimir

So there are 3 generations of broken engagements there: Miechen, her daughter Helen and Helen's daughter Olga.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
There was also Hilda of Luxemburg's (sister of GDss Marie Adelheid and GDss Charlotte) to Duke Philip of Wurttemberg due to political considerations. She was heir to her sister Charlotte and, so soon after WW1, it was impossible for her to marry a German, though she later did (a Prince of Schwarzburg I think). There were engagement photos issued.

There was apparently an engagement between Alfred of Coburg and Elsa of Wurttemberg (dau of GDss Vera) as well as engagements between Beatrice of Coburg's 2 sons to the 2 daughters of her cousin Queen Ena [information on this from various posts of Marlene's]

Archduchess Maria Annunciata was engaged to Duke Siegfried in Bavaria but it was called off due to his mental health prlblems. Engagement photos were taken and neither ever married though both lived for about 50 years afterwards.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
Good memory GDElla,I wouldn't remember that many broken engagments...I think Hilda married Prince von Schwarzenberg-I think his name was Adolf-but if it's not I think I don't rememberg his name...

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »
Good memory GDElla,I wouldn't remember that many broken engagments...I think Hilda married Prince von Schwarzenberg-I think his name was Adolf-but if it's not I think I don't rememberg his name...

Yes, his name was Adolf and they married in 1930.
--Cicero

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »
engagements between Beatrice of Coburg's 2 sons to the 2 daughters of her cousin Queen Ena

Anyone know why these engagements were called off?
--Cicero

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
Also, wasn't Eddy engaged to Helene of France?
--Cicero

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
Maybe in their minds they were engaged, but it was certainly never 'official'.  
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »
Also, wasn't Eddy engaged to Helene of France?
Wasn't this Helene of Orleans the same Helene that Marie Feodorovna wanted to marry Nicholas?
Also Eddy & Mary of Teck's engagement was broken off by Eddy's death, same with Minnie & Nicholas's