Author Topic: Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson, by Peter Kurth  (Read 16631 times)

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson, by Peter Kurth
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 03:10:34 PM »
I first read Mr. Kurth's book upon its release twenty-plus years ago.  I was absolutely fascinated by the story, and although I was already generally interested in the Romanovs, "Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson" is one of the two books (the other being Massie's) which I recall being instrumental in my developing my"passion" for Romanov and Russian history.  

It remains a staple in my Russian history "sub-library" (although it is now dog-eared and worn, but I've always believed that indicates a well-used, well-loved and treasured book). Like Elisabeth, I've read it as from both "believer" (when I first read the book it made a believer of me) and "nonbeliever" points of view.  While I am now firmly and irrevocably in the camp that believes all the members of the Imperial Family in the Ipatiev House died that night in 1918, I highly recommend this book as required reading.

Jane

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 06:01:53 PM »
Of all the many books I am fortunate to possess, I probably remember receiving Peter Kurth's 'Anastasia' more clearly than any other.   My husband bought it for me to take into hospital when I was admitted to deliver our son.   Amazingly that will be twenty one years ago in January 2005 (only days after the death of Anna Anderson).

In as much as Robert Massie's 'Nicholas and Alexandra' is THE seminal book (everything between two covers) on the subject of the last Imperial Family;  likewise Peter Kurth's 'Anastasia' has the same definitive qualities on the neverending fascination and public captivation with the GD Anastasia/Anna Anderson tale.

I think we should all (pro and anti survival believers alike) raise a glass and toast the coming of age of Peter's 'Anastasia'.

tsaria

Offline Scout

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 02:20:28 PM »
Just a fleeting remark. Swastika was first officiallly used in European history by Russian Provisional Government under Kerenski in 1917. On a 250 roubles banknote there's the new Russian eagle with swastika in the background.

Swastika indeed used to be a symbol of luck and prosperity. Still is - in the Buddist countries. And it is included in the official emblem of the Theosophical Society.

Accidentally, the position of Nazi Swastika is reversed - which means "bad luck". Hitler had been warned about it more than once but paid no attention.

PS It is very unlikely that somebody in the 20's might profess his/her anticemitism by displaying a swastika - just doesn't make any sense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Scout »

Sergio

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 05:56:21 PM »
Just a fleeting remark. Swastika was first officiallly used in European history by Russian Provisional Government under Kerenski in 1917. On a 250 roubles banknote there's the new Russian eagle with swastika in the background.

250 Rubles banknote (back) with swastika (1917)

Offline Scout

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »
Thanks for showing. I would like to point out that the swastika is a bit dimmed by scanning.

Offline Nathan_Davis

• In Loving Memory NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »
Peter Kurth's "Anastasia" was the book that first quickened my interest in the last Tsar and his family, and for that I owe him my sincere gratitude. I admit I was really rooting for Anna Anderson and was quite stunned when the DNA results eventually came out.

Regards,

Nathan

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 07:05:31 PM »
If Peter Kurth has the opportunity to update his book, I hope that it will reflect on Dr Gill's mtDNA analysis which proved conclusively that AA was not who some purported she might have been.

I would welcome such a revision to help set the records straight.  :D  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »
If Peter Kurth has the opportunity to update his book, I hope that it will reflect on Dr Gill's mtDNA analysis which proved conclusively that AA was not who some purported she might have been.

I would welcome such a revision to help set the records straight.  :D  

I agree.  Peter's book set me onto the whole Romanov passion when it came out.  I was a senior in high school when I read it.  Even though the DNA has proved AA to not be AN, the book itself is such a well written treasure that to have the whole story told within its pages would be great.

From what I hear, though, the publisher will not release the rights for an update.  :(

Denise

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »
There are other venues to restate one's case! ::)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 06:35:50 AM »
Hi there

I'm new to posting but I have read the posts on here with interest.

I am especially interested in the story of Anna Anderson's and I am planning to buy one of Peter Kurth's books on her.

When I looked up Peter Kurth to try and find a list of the book's he's written the books all seem different in some way, some even have different titles! So I am very confused as to whether the book's I am seeing are the same book just with different titles. ???

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me identify the books by Peter Kurth on AA & AN.

Thanks in advance

Rachael

P.S. I'm sorry if there's already a thread of this nature but I'm too busy with holiday H/W to look properly!
It's not fair!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 08:31:28 AM »
US Edition:  Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson
and the UK edition  Anastasia the Life of Anna Anderson.

Same book.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
I hope one day this book will be republished with an update because alot has happened since 1983 when the book was published. AA deteriorated quite alot and died in 1984 (although the paperback 1985 edition adresses this). There was some more films made, 1986 which was based on this book called "Anastasia: The mystery of Anna", and then of course the "Anastasia" cartoon musical in 1997. And how can we forget the 1995 announcement of the DNA results which proved Anna Anderson was not Anastasia and most likely FS.

I for one love this book no matter who AA is. It is certainly the best of the numerous biographies written about her and sticks to the facts instead of making up wild rumors. It's still my favorite book. It was the first I read about the Romanovs when I was a kid. So maybe it's outdated now, but it's still a great biography and as long as you keep in mind AA wasn't Anastasia, it's still a book that sticks to the facts.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
This is a terrible book, this book spits up true facts of romanov and spits it out. It deastory there character. It has barely any facts. Made up stories. For example the terrible "King Kong" story. This is simple a fairy tale not true at all.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »
The King Kong story was not in Kurth's book. It was in the  long dis-credited James Blair-Lovell's ANASTASIA. Kurth is a much better writer. Lovell is dead.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline StevenL

• Boyar
  • Don't believe everything you think.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »
For example the terrible "King Kong" story. This is simple a fairy tale not true at all.

You don't know what you're talking about. I have an idea: Try discussing a book you have actually read!