Author Topic: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death  (Read 83120 times)

Offline Taksa

• Boyar
  • "Это было прямо феерично!.."
    • View Profile
Re: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 05:41:32 AM »
I have some pics. sorry fot the quality :-\

"Тоска ужасная, так долго ехать, so happy to see you soon, my darling love. Felix" - 17.10.1915

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 02:36:45 AM »

comte Nicolas Félixovitch Soumarokoff-Elston (+1908)

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 02:10:37 AM »
I just read a very good article on the couple and events leading up to the death of Nicholas. And I started thinking that I've never seen a picture of Marina in her youth. Does anyone have one?

By the way the article, His Brother's Keeper, by Gretchen Haskin which was published in Atlantis Magazine in 2000, was very insightful by one the most overlooked Yussupov's. One has to wonder how different things would have been had he not been killed in that duel. Would he perhaps had been the one to marry Irina instead of Felix?

http://www.directarticle.org/brothers_keeper2.pdf

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:01:57 AM by Svetabel »

Offline loulia

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 07:04:07 AM »
I think Irina was pretty fond of Felix, at least at the begining of their mariage, so I don't think she could have prefer his brother, she loved his personality and Nicholas seem to be rather different. But I don't know what could have happen if Nicolas were not dead, get married to Marina and Felix to Irina. Do you think Felix would have herited the fortune because of such a mariage?
we live in a beautiful world, let's protect it

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
From what I gather, the scandel that Nicholas and Marina's relationship was so hot that people were openly saying that the Yussupov title and fortune should be passed to Felix. Well, Zenaida would hear none of it, but I'm sure if Nicholas had married Marina that there would have been a falling out of sort where Felix Sr. more than likely would have disinherited Nicholas, much to Zenaida's heartache. More than likely they would have been shunned by society for some time but would have been back with the 'in' crowd in time.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
I don't think Nicholas would have married Irina. Look that's a 13 year age difference. With Felix and Irina it was 8 and that is kind of a lot on its own. I have noticed among the old aristocracy most marriages of that time were 5  years age difference or less. Olga A.'s was a 14 yr. difference and it didn't last. She then found a man only a year older and they were happy. Of course age doesn't always have to be a factor, but it can be. Especially in the semi arranged marriages of the old royals and nobles, they didn't usually go so far out. Nicholas was shot when he was 26 Irina was only 13. I doubt if he'd lived he'd have waited until he was over 30 for her to grow up, he'd have found someone else by then. If Felix didn't get Irina, Dmitri probably would have, IMO. Remember he had a thing for her, and Felix said in his book Dmitri seemed sad when he and Irina were married.  I also feel sorry for the long suffering Munya Golovina, whose unrequited love for Nicholas tortured her even after his death.

I have also never believed Felix planned, or wanted, or hoped his brother would die in the duel. He was torn up over the whole thing, and he hated how it hurt his mother. He'd never have wished that on his family.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 10:53:08 AM by Annie »

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »

I have also never believed Felix planned, or wanted, or hoped his brother would die in the duel. He was torn up over the whole thing, and he hated how it hurt his mother. He'd never have wished that on his family.

I don't think Felix hoped or wanted his brother to die in the duel. It would have been just plain cold, but I do think he carried some kinda of guilt over it, for whatever reason. Yes, I agree that he wouldn't have wanted to harm his family, especially his mother who he adored, but I think that Felix did do something foolishly that caused a chain reaction of events. Was he planning for something bad to happen? No, I highly doubt it, it just became a trick/gag that got out of hand. It's not the first time I hear of him having had some part in the events leading up to the duel in which Nicholas died.

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »
By reading Marina de Hayden's book you get the idea Felix was just having fun telling Marina that his brother Nicholas was in love with her and in Marina's point of view she believed that at some point this became true. I agree with Ashanti that Nicholas' death was the result of a chain reaction of events that went out of control.  I believe that Nicholas, being used to do as he pleased, went alone with the flow and when the situation exploded it was too late to back off. Honor was considered very important in those days and remember Marina was a married woman. The duel was a well known event. Even Nicholas II knew about it and I think he decided not to take action against it. if Nicholas Yussupov wouldn't have shown up for the duel he certainly would have been known as a coward and I do not believe he would have allowed himself that.
According to Felix, he look for his brother all night long, but I do not believe this was entirely true. At the end, Marina became Felix's sworn enemy for the rest of her days and blame Felix directly for Nicholas death.
I can only infer Zenaida, having the pleasure of knowing her sons better than anyone,  as Marina wrote Zenaida told her in Paris, knew her son's death was the consecuence of a game out of control and got in terrible depression excluding herself from all social life. After that i think the only social event she attended was  felix & irina's wedding.

Arturo vega-Llausás
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 08:23:39 PM »
I just finished reading the whole thing, and I enjoyed it! It was well written and played like a movie. I could just imagine them all. I'd love to see this made into a film. But how sad. Thanks for posting, Ashanti!

But I do wonder if it all happened just like that or if Marina and the writer added some to make it more interesting, and more slanted against Felix.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:40:42 PM by Annie »

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 01:50:44 AM »
I don't think that it was written to slant Felix. Think about the rumors and accounts that you've heard over the years and they all reference Felix in one way or the other. That he was involved in the whole incident, there's no question, it's just a question of exactly what. Marina and Felix were clearly both pointing the finger at each other, and in truth they were the only one's who would have known what really happened. Given Felix's history of changing information to better fit his needs, I would have to go lean towards believing Marina.

Offline loulia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 03:03:47 AM »
From what I gather, the scandel that Nicholas and Marina's relationship was so hot that people were openly saying that the Yussupov title and fortune should be passed to Felix. Well, Zenaida would hear none of it, but I'm sure if Nicholas had married Marina that there would have been a falling out of sort where Felix Sr. more than likely would have disinherited Nicholas, much to Zenaida's heartache. More than likely they would have been shunned by society for some time but would have been back with the 'in' crowd in time.
I can imagin how felix Sr would feel devastated: choose who will "bear" the honor of the familly between Nicolas in such a marriage and Felix who at the time had fight with his father because of his behaviour as a travesti!
I guess even without a mariage, at this time, before Nicolas's death, Felix Sr felt very disapointed by his sons as he probably wanted his sons to become grat viril soldier with a huge sense of honour and of machism
just my thoughts...

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2007, 03:16:32 AM »
I think Nicholas was a soldier? Wasn't he?

But yes, I think Felix Sr must have felt very disappointed and perhaps even depressed over the actions of both his son's. One must think how hard it must have been for him to remain strong for the sake of Zenaida, but then again, I do believe he was one of those men who kept his feelings to himself, therefore its more likely he grieved the death of Nicholas in private.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2007, 03:32:23 AM »
First I have to thank gugussey for giving me the link to first part http://directarticle.org/brotherskeeper.pdf which has alot of more information!! A true must read!!! And even better very, very rare pictures!!!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:02:23 AM by Svetabel »

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 03:37:13 AM »
I think it's only fair that I post this....very moving

"My Dear Marina,
“By the time this letter reaches you I shall be dead.... I believe that you love me and my last thought will be of you. I
hope you believe me, as I would not lie to you before my death. I loved you, my little Marina, because you are not like
anybody else and never thought of behaving like others, always following the correct path set before you. Society does
not like such people. They have mud and stones thrown at them. You, as a weak little woman, cannot prevail against
them alone.
“Your life, as well as mine, is spoiled. We met at an unfortunate time which has ruined us both. You will never be
happy since it is unlikely that another will appear who will understand you as l did. I understand you easily as we are so
alike. How happy we could have been together.”
“Forgive me for the lack of style in this letter; it contains several phrases that fail to tie together. I write what is in my
mind with little regard for style. I find it very hard that l cannot see you before my death and that I cannot say farewell
and tell you how much I love you. Just think how terrible it is to die for you without even knowing whether you are
thinking of me at that moment.”
“Marina, my dear Marina, you do not know how much I love you. It is now five o’clock.
In two hours my seconds will come to take me away and I will never see you again. Why are you so far away? You
will not hear from me as I pronounce your name for the last time. I do not even have your photograph that I could kiss.
I have only a small lock of hair that I hold sacred.
“That is all. I do not fear death, but it is hard for me to die far from you without seeing you for the last time. “Farewell
forever. I love you.”
Letter by Nicholas , source listed as State Historical Archives, Yusupov Collection, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Offline loulia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 04:00:57 PM »
may be my husband is not romantic enough, but I didn't think it was possible someone write something (and truly think it) except in love stories on cinema... How beautiful and sad is this letter, Marina was probably terribly heartbreaking when she read it. What a tragical story :(