Author Topic: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death  (Read 101166 times)

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
Ok here we go...pg 26 on second part of article 'My brother's keeper'

Once the Horse Guards Tribunal decreed that Manteuffel’s grievances were uncontestable, Commander Khan Nakhitchevan, through Marina’s father, submitted the decision to the Emperor, “who did not oppose it.”(93)

Although the Emperor was Colonel-in-chief of the Horse Guards, the offended regiment, he was also sworn to uphold the civil and criminal law of the land and on many occasions had made it clear to his family that no Romanov was exempt from it. The case was no longer a formality which would satisfy the honor of Manteuffel’s regiment with shots fired deliberately into the air; it had become a grave and mordant matter.

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
Regardless of the reasons, it's terrible to think people murdered someone and got away with it, especially since some duels, like Nicholas's, seemed to be set up against one of the men.

What leads you to that conclusion?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »
Regardless of the reasons, it's terrible to think people murdered someone and got away with it, especially since some duels, like Nicholas's, seemed to be set up against one of the men.

What leads you to that conclusion?

Marina: ".. His regiment is taking a major part in this and will instigate a duel, and it will all end very badly."

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
I guess it was not considered Ilegal at that time. Nicholas II knew about the duel and decided not to take hands in the matter, so I can infer it was acceptable to settle "matters of the honor" in that way.

Indeed duels were illegal.

Where did you read that Nikolai II was aware of the duel before it had taken place and secondly, "decided" not to act on that knowledge?

Margarita

I read it in "My brother's keeper".. I was going to quote part of the article but Ashanti01 already did it.. The author also says that indeed  duels were illegal but during Alexander III's reign rules were "softened"and in case of death, the survivor could be charged with murder in a criminal court, although it was rarely done....
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »
I also read in the article that latter in life, Marina de Hayden had an affair with GD Dimitri Pavlovich. I did not know that. Does anyopne know anything about this?
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline gugussey

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
Marina mentions this affair in her autobiography.  It is a very brief mention but its intent is clear.

Offline loulia

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2007, 04:05:46 AM »
did she said when it happened? before his wedding with Audrey I guess? She also lived in France at that time?
we live in a beautiful world, let's protect it

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2007, 03:24:49 AM »
Well, if it happened after the revolution she would have been married at the time .. :o  Marina was basically shunned out of Saint Petersburg for some years but returned around 1914?...perhaps it happened during this time. This also would have been around the time Felix married and he and Dmitry had their first 'out' over Irina...again all speculation on my part

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Well, Marina returned in 1914, she had her affair with Dimity and after that, she got married again in May 1915.
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

Marina de Hayden in old age

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:06 PM »
Well, Marina returned in 1914, she had her affair with Dimity and after that, she got married again in May 1915.

Who did Marina marry in 1915?  How did her life play out?
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »
She married Michael Tchitchagov, Captain of the Lancers Regiment. She had a son in 1920 but their is little information avaliable after that except that her marriage ended in divorce. She never seemed to forgive Felix and as late as 1960 she still referred to him as her 'fierce enemy'. Marina died in France in 1969 at the age of eighty.

Offline polignac

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:57 AM »
Is there any genealogic information about Marina's parents?When did they born, married and died?And about her sisters too?

Offline Elena

• View Profile

Offline Elena

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Her great grandfather L. Geiden:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Login_Geiden

Genealogical info on family of Frederick Heyden / Feodor Geiden, Marina’s grandfather:
http://www.ostrov.ca/drevo/family.php?famid=F456

Entry of Marina’s father Alexander Feodorovich Geiden (1859-1919) on an Imperial Navy site tells us that he finished St. Petersburg University, served first in the Army, then in the Navy, first on the Mediterranean but mainly on the Baltic. Lieutenant 1888. Member of the suite of the Czar 1908.  In Navy headquarters 1914. Orthodox, married, 4 daughters (in 1916). He died in Moscow 1919
http://li-k.narod.ru/price10.html