Author Topic: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death  (Read 101026 times)

Offline polignac

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Nikolai Yusupov, elder brother of Felix, his life and death
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2009, 02:51:25 AM »
Nicolas:

Offline Sasha_Katerina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
I also read in the article that latter in life, Marina de Hayden had an affair with GD Dimitri Pavlovich. I did not know that. Does anyopne know anything about this?

are you kidding me?? where is the quote in her autobiography i need to see this!!

sorry but this is a big deal to me, dmitri saying he will replace nicholas as felix's brother and then having an affair with felix's dead brother's fiancee...EEK

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »

Nicholas is at the far right of the picture.

Offline thedarkone

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
It was briefly touched upon in this thread, but does anyone have any more info about his relationship with Maria "Munya" Golovina?  I don't know much about the Golovins, but how were they associated with the Yusupovs?

Also, does anyone have any specific information about dueling in Russia?  How it was performed?  When (and if) it was ever legal?  I know Pushkin died after his duel, but beyond that I'm a little in the dark on the subject.     

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:17 AM »
'I was rather surprised to see him in this group shot as I had believed he had resigned from his regiment after the duel with Nicholas Yusupov.'

I have also read that Manteuffel resigned his commission after the duel. However, in time of war I doubt he would have had much trouble in getting himself reinstated. After all, he was the wronged husband, and he behaved entirely honourably according to the mores of his time and class. The worst that could be said was that he was guilty of an error of judgement in insisting on a second shot.

Ann

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
'I was rather surprised to see him in this group shot as I had believed he had resigned from his regiment after the duel with Nicholas Yusupov.'

I have also read that Manteuffel resigned his commission after the duel. However, in time of war I doubt he would have had much trouble in getting himself reinstated. After all, he was the wronged husband, and he behaved entirely honourably according to the mores of his time and class. The worst that could be said was that he was guilty of an error of judgement in insisting on a second shot.

Ann

I always assumed Manteuffel resigned and retreated to a low profile life. The events after the duel have been made out to appear both Marina and Manteuffel were in disgrace and Marina was forced to leave the country for some years. Perhaps Manteuffel remained secluded for a brief time before returning to his former position in his regiment? Or as you mentioned he may have returned at the start of the war.

The duel itself is rather mysterious to me, for Nicholas did not fire at Manteuffel but instead fired into the air. Manteuffel insisted on the second shot so did he mean to injure Nicholas? Or did he intend to kill him? From the passionate letter Nicholas left Marina it appears he was prepared to die.

I hope to gather more from Marina's book which I just got recently. Of course since the book is in French it may take me a while to translate but I'm patient. To my disappointment there were no photos in the book, not even one of Marina herself. Still it should make for an interesting read.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
'The duel itself is rather mysterious to me, for Nicholas did not fire at Manteuffel but instead fired into the air. Manteuffel insisted on the second shot so did he mean to injure Nicholas? Or did he intend to kill him? From the passionate letter Nicholas left Marina it appears he was prepared to die.'

It is rather odd. Unless Manteuffel was an extremely good shot with a revolver, I don't think he actually intended to kill Nikolai - if he had, he would not have been so accurate as to drill him through the heart. And if he was a really good shot and intended to kill, why did he miss the first time?

Personally, I think the letter was Nikolai being dramatic.

Ann

Offline Labuanbajo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
Here's a photo from "Lost Splendour", a family portrait of the Yusupoffs in 1901, Nicholas second from left.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:19:49 PM by Labuanbajo »

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »
Prince Nicholas in an electric car (see, we've gone backwards over the years:)

Offline Sasha_Katerina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/31329/2978055780102753164S600x600Q85.jpg

haha! were these cars common then? it's quite small
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:00:28 PM by Svetabel »

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »

haha! were these cars common then? it's quite small

Plaything of the Rich I would imagine.

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »
They were not common. It was more of a "Novelty" for the rich..
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Sasha_Katerina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »
it almost look like a toy! i wonder if they have them in auto museums anywhere it looks like fun

Offline greekroyalist

• View Profile
    • Greek Royalist
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
I found this photo in a book about Rasputin. If it's the Yussupov family, i guess Nicholas is in the middle, and Felix sitting next to him with the navy suit..