Author Topic: Books on British royalty (non-Tudor)  (Read 108043 times)

Alixz

Re: Books on British royalty (non-Tudor)
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
I scored a coup today.  I was looking on line for a copy of Grandmama of Europe and I found several in different used book sellers.

I was just abou to order when I noticed that address of the book seller, The John Bale Book Co was right here in CT and about 5 miles from my house!

I quickly raced to the address to find a wonderland of used books on every subject.  It is a store front book seller with a delicious lunch and coffee bar right on the first floor.

So I got Grandmama ,Land of the Firebird by Suzanne Massie and The Romanovs by W Bruce Lincoln and a great lunch for just $43 US.

I am in heaven and can't wait to go back again when I have longer  (like all day) to search in their inventory.

www.johnbalebookco.com   If you live in CT it's in Waterbury on Grand ST across from the Post Office.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 04:36:31 PM »
How far is Waterbury from New York (Westchester area)?

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 06:23:28 PM »
Alixz,

Thanks for the info. I always enjoy hearing about used book stores. This will make a nice day trip from my area(Philadelphia)

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • UK Citizenship Equality Now
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2006, 11:17:43 AM »
How far is Waterbury from New York (Westchester area)?
About 1.5 to 2 hours.    
Demand UK Citizenship Equality Now

Remove the discrimination against children born out of wedlock before 2006 to British fathers.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »
Might make a good day trip then! :D

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
What a lucky find, Alixz!  :D

I wish such things would happen to me, but there aren't many used booksellers around my way.  They all get pushed out by the big bad chain stores!

Though there are still the odd gems you find down back streets in London.  Though these said gems rarely have anything Romanov or Russia related in them at all.

I can't complain, however, seeing as I bought Hessian Tapestry for £1 in a charity shop and I've just seen a copy on ebay already at £15 and it has 4 days left!

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »
I'm half way through it and really enjoying it. Nice to read more about Vicky and Sophie especially. It was interesting to read Missys opinions on Alix and Nicky :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Alixz

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »
ritka,

If you can take Metro North and change trains in Bridgeport, you can take the train to the Waterbury station which is at the end of Grand Street in Waterbury.  You would just walk up Grand Street a couple of blocks and the store is right there!

Philadelphia might be a long trip but Interstate 95 runs to Route 8 which runs right to Waterbury.

Just for information, I think my lunch cost more than each book!  Grandmama was the most expensive at $28 and Firebird and Romanovs were about $3 and $4.  I think lunch was about $8, but it was such an exquisit treat!!

Alixz

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
I finished this book last night and I enjoyed it very much.  The author interwove the lives of all of the descendents of Queen Victoria very well.

I was surprised at how many who were crowned lived into the middle of the 20th century.  Even though some lost their thrones and some got them back after a while, Theo Aronson takes the reader right up until the end of their lives, not just the end of their time while ruling.

I think that the Scandanavian descendents were the most curious and amusing.  They were very un-royal as we think of royal.

But what I found the most interesting is that the beginning of Victoria's "matriarchy" began with Edward VII marrying a Danish princess and ended right back in Denmark with the marriage of Ingrid of Sweden to a Danish Prince.  Not that is has truly ended, because Victoria's descendents sill sit on thrones, but the book takes the reader on that trip.  From Denmark to Denmark in 100 years or so.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »
Read A FAMILY OF KINGS, also by the late and very talented Theo Aronson, responsible for bringing so many of us such joy!

THE GOLDEN BEES, is also another one of his books that should be a must read on every royalty watcher's list.  Theo told me this was his favorite among all his books.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 10:52:23 PM »
Grandmama of Europe was one of my early QV reads and remains a favorite. I love Theo Aronson's books--what a great biographer.  :'(

I had gotten a copy long, long ago and dog-earred it and noted so many passages I had to buy a 2nd copy.  :)

Family of Kings is also great though GOE remains my favorite.

I'm only now getting into the Bonapartes and The Golden Bees is on my 'to read' list.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Alixz

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 08:08:20 AM »
Arturo,

Thanks to you I have looked into A Family of Kings.  It looks like a good read, but is very expensive.  It looks like it was never published in the US.

I have a question out to a Danish bookseller.  I hope he comes through.

I want to be sure if I spend too much for a book that it at least has the geneological charts in the back.

Thanks again,
Alixz

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
I know Eurohistory.com sells it and it is not that expensive.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »
I purchased mine a few years ago through Royal Reprints from Piccadilly Press---they used to put out Royalty Digest. They still sell reprints though of books such as this that have been out-of-print for several years.

If you want the info:

http://www.picrare.com/Royalty_Digest/RDBookForSale/RDReprints.htm

Aronson, Theo: A FAMILY OF KINGS. 252 pages, illustrated, hardback. Originally published in 1976. Reprinted in 2000. Limited to 200 copies. £20.00. [UK postage and packing £3.25].
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 01:59:28 PM »
Who can tell me some titles from books, about the daughters of Queen Victoria?