Author Topic: Books on British royalty (non-Tudor)  (Read 146507 times)

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
Re: What books on Diana Spencer would you recommend?
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
True, I cannot imagine Diana as an older woman, and it is true that, Diana story was like a tragedy. And it ended in a way a good tragedy should end. But even if that is true it still is so sad and heartbreaking because she might have found happiness again. The happines she was eager to find, but never found in life.
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: What books on Diana Spencer would you recommend?
« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
Yes...Just like a shooting star...beautiful but brief in duration...

alixaannencova

Re: Books on British royalty (non-Tudor)
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
Am terribly excited to discover that Charlotte Zeepvat's new book 'The Queen wore lilac' is on submission. I pretty sure it will be snapped up in the next few weeks and will hopefully be on the shelves some time this side of Christmas '09!!! I hope so anyway as it sounds truly scrumptious to me! I love her books and I just know this one will be very, very lavishly illustrated too!!!!!!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
There's a thread in the book section which discusses this title. Hopefully, there will soon be some more to discuss on it. It sounds like a really interesting subject and one right up your alley!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

alixaannencova

« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »
Thankyou Ella...I should looked there first! Maybe you should add this thread to it! I can't believe it has been lurking about for more than a year and is still waiting in submission! But I am sure as they say...all good things come to those who wait!

Rani

« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
I donīt know if it is already shown:

http://www.elisabeth-sandmann.de/index.php/hunde

A book with pictures of the Royals with their dogs. Itīs very nice.

Rani

« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2009, 05:50:44 AM »
In english

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »
I am interested in Charlotte Zeepvat's new book.  I hope that we don't have to wait too long for it!

Offline SakuragiMiu

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
As anyone read Queen Victoria: A Personal History by Christopher Hibbert?

I just ordered it, but I'd like to get some opinions. Because in Portugal you can only find 2 biographies: this one and another one by a French writer, Alexandre Phillippe (Victoria, la derničre reine). Ofc I decided to buy the one written by an English author (even though it's in English, while the other one was translated to Portuguese).

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Mountbatten Assassination Memoir to Be Published
« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »
Lord Louis Mountbatten's grandson has written a memoir about the assassination of his grandfather,his twin brother and two others. The author was one of the survivors of the attack. The book will be published in August of this year. It is the first time he has spoken publicly about the attack.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/5259162/Earl-Mountbattens-grandson-finally-tells-his-story-of-survival-and-loss.html

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Mountbatten Assassination Memoir to Be Published
« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:38 AM »
The memoir will be titled "From A Clear Blue Sky". According to this press report, there are some concerns within the family over its publication.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1185154/A-memoir-far-Earls-clan.html

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 09, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
It seems a bit odd to me that someone who suffered so terribly from the atrocity which decimated his family would want to write a detailed book about the event.  If this had happened to me, I would want to concentrate on remembering good things about my family whilst they were with me, not their awful demise.  I'm not sure if I really buy the 'healing and reconciliation' claims.  I wonder if Timothy Knatchbull has money issues? 

I also think it's outrageous that the man who planted the bomb which killed Mountbatten and family has been out of prison for over 10 years now! 

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »

You've obviously never been through a tragic accident - -- this is a way for Tim to deal with the situatiion ... kudos to him for being so brave.

It seems a bit odd to me that someone who suffered so terribly from the atrocity which decimated his family would want to write a detailed book about the event.  If this had happened to me, I would want to concentrate on remembering good things about my family whilst they were with me, not their awful demise.  I'm not sure if I really buy the 'healing and reconciliation' claims.  I wonder if Timothy Knatchbull has money issues? 

I also think it's outrageous that the man who planted the bomb which killed Mountbatten and family has been out of prison for over 10 years now! 
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
How would you presume to know what I've been through, Marlene?  You wouldn't recognize me from a bar of soap!

As for it being "brave" and a way for him to "deal with the situation" - a very modern perspective but I find it a little strange that it's taken 30 years for him to do so, however.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:12:23 PM by Grace »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:01 PM »

In case you may not have realized this, but Tim suffered a major trauma - being on that boat, which exploded - killing several people and maiming several others- he lost a grandfather and a grandmother and his twin brother.  One can only imagine the hell that Tim went through ... and it is not something one gets over in a week or even a year or perhaps even 30 years.  He may not have been ready to write about the events until now.

How would you presume to know what I've been through, Marlene?  You wouldn't recognize me from a bar of soap!

As for it being "brave" and a way for him to "deal with the situation" - a very modern perspective but I find it a little strange that it's taken 30 years for him to do so, however.  Just my opinion.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/