Author Topic: re: past lives?  (Read 62729 times)

rskkiya

Re:  past lives?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2004, 05:52:50 PM »
Dear Merrique
Spasibah
Nyet --sorry I don't smoke!

lol rskkiya

Sunny

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2004, 05:58:05 PM »
Merrique, the thing I remember the most about Audrey Rose, was Anthony Hopkin's impassioned plea to Marsha Mason about there being millions of people on this earth who believe in reincarnation.

Am looking forward to "Birth". Have read about the film, and the questionable bathtub scene. Is that what caused the "R" rating ?

Sunny

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
  • aka Yekaterina Yevgenievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2004, 06:06:53 PM »
Just think Rskkiya,you could sell them cigarettes to other revolutionaries for loads of roubles,you could make a killing I tell you.  ;) ;D
Don't knock on Death's door....ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.:D

rskkiya

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2004, 06:08:35 PM »
Sunny hello!
   Well nothing can be "seen" in any of the tub scenes (there are two) so I would guess that that its the topic of an adult woman and a 11 year old boy that might have made some feel that an R was a better rating...No violence/one sex scene with two adults where again nothing could be "seen", and no profanities that I can remember.

Its a thoughtful work with a paradoxical ending--I liked it
(but I have odd tastes in films)  :D
rskkiya

Merrique
No! Comrades don't smoke! LOL  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
How many times in the Old or New Testament of the Bible is the subject of "reincarnation" mentioned?

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

rskkiya

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2004, 06:45:57 PM »
Agrbear

Which version of the Bible are you asking about? What translation?

rskkiya

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2004, 05:11:13 PM »
How about just  one example which someone  remembers having read?

I don't care which bible you use.

No counting by me but I'm sure someone has.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »

Offline Moth

• waiting for the winter snow...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2004, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi there; new here, so bear with me.  On the topic of reincarnation, I would never be one of the "crazies" who would claim to be a reincarnated Romanov.  I do, however, remember having dreams and bits of memory (had mostly when I was a child) that actually got me interested in the topic of the Romanovs, instead of the other way around.  However, I think maybe I was just there at the time, because I don't have any person-specific memories, only a recongnition of the faces as "familiar".  

I wish now that I could remember where I found the website (I think on About.com?),  but someone conjectured that reincarnation might not be the passage of the soul into another body, that we are indeed "ourselves", but that it might be the memories or dreams of person that become transferred.  It reminds me of a photographic kind of effect; so instead of being reincarnated, the memories or dreams we experience that are not our own are the energy left over from the deceased (even though the soul has passed on).  

I just kind of thought it was a nifty theory.  I don't really know whether or not I believe in reincarnation; I'm pretty open to whatever.  I just know how some things seem familiar and vaguely frightening; then again, I get that reaction when I look in the mirror.   Forgive my long-windedness.  Shoot me if you must.
Come, son of my soul, and drink your cup, for you'll get no sup when your life is past -

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2004, 07:44:03 AM »
Well, I've discovered that I write a capital A the same as Anastasia. So, I must be Anastasia re-incarnated. There's no other possible conclusion!  :D

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2004, 08:19:25 AM »
Well, I do my  "A" like Alix and her mother, but my name is Elisabeth!
No, In fact here is my full name: Elisabeth Marie Olga!
So, who am I ? I'm lost !
??? ;D 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2004, 06:29:03 AM »
If you think you're Anastasia, then why do you use your grandmother's name?

I'll get back to you on this when I've thought of something convincing.  ;D

Dashkova

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2004, 07:30:15 PM »
How many times in the Old or New Testament of the Bible is the subject of "reincarnation" mentioned?

AGRBear

Hummm...this thread definitely caught my eye, especially with regard to bringing the "Bible" into it.

I've got an undergrad minor (almost a major) in Religion and to my knowledge there is no mention of reincarnation, in fact, quite the opposite. However, I believe it is in...hmm...I think it's in Jeremiah where he states that God knew him before he was born. But that's not reincarnation.

Not being especially Christian or Jew (or anything else), the probability that reincarnation does not come up in the canon of either the OT or NT doesn't mean I am saying either collection of books are correct, or incorrect.

I would also point out that the question regarding "what translation" reminded me that translations, in many ways, are different "takes" on the original Greek (NT) or Hebrew (OT) and even *those* are extremely suspect as for so-called "accuracy" let alone "inspired" by any particular "God.'

Therefore, one *may* very well *read* into any translation pretty much whatever one wishes.  Christians are famous for reading into the Hebrew prophecies, in rather shocking and actually inappropriate ways.

Still, I never turn down the chance to hear Handel's great oratorio in person, even though it's rife with Isaiah compared with Luke and Matthew!

Offline BattleAngel

• I plan to live forever--So far so good!
    • View Profile
    • The Color Guard
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2004, 12:58:14 AM »
I am so glad that someone had the guts to bring up this topic!

For the record...I DO believe that reincarnation is possible, and it actually makes as much sense (if not more) than any other theory that is floating around out there.

While I don't think that I personally was a member of the Romanov family I can tell you this: IF reincarnation IS a reality SOMEONE has to be.

I have a friend who feels that they were a member of the crew of Titanic and died in the sinking.

Is this glamorous? Not really...he kinda hates it and doesn't tell any but his closest friends...but there it is, like it or NOT.
So in HIS case, he is hardly looking for "status" by being some poor chap who froze to death on a sinking ship.

It would not be surprising that people who have some sort of past life link to the Imperial Family would find their way to this site.
Affinities, automatic likes, dislikes, and interests could very well be linked to the natural human desire to seek out what we know and are comfortable with.

So if any former Romanovs are here...I am not a BIT surprised.
And actually not everyone who has odd memories of a "past life" DOES claim to have been someone famous.

Many of them join the SCA...and don't know why.

They join Civil War reinactment groups...and don't know why.

They buy and feel best in vintage clothes...and they don't know why.

And since the vast majority of us don't end up in history books...they will NEVER know why and never be able to compare their present life to a past one in order to find the answers.

And may God help you if you even admit to suspecting that you were someone who DID make it into history books.
I guess it's better to be snide and sarcastic than it is to feel that you were...say...Napoleon.
At least it makes you LOOK superior, to those who mistake snide sarcasm for wit and depth.

Soooo, the more astute people, you know, the ones who COULD convince us (at least a little) wisely keep silent and the only voices we hear are the looneys who don't know enough to keep under the radar...or the snide sarcastic ones who bully everyone into keeping quiet.

That's too bad, cause I'd be interested in knowing how people cope with having memories of a life of such priviledge and such pain.

And I pray that all goes better for you this time.

Mary

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »
It is not required to believe reincarnation in order to reason about it.

He/she who will not reason, is unreasonable.

He/she who cannot reason is a like a slave caught in a closed box  and may never venture beyong and learn there is more to life than life in the box.

AGRBear

Dashkova

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2004, 12:30:17 PM »
I am not sure about the exact year, but it was only about five hundred years after Christ that the Church decided that there wouldn't be room for believe in reincarnation within the Christian religion. This decision was probably partly inspired by a wish to consolidate its power over the people. Reincarnation was a moe or less accepted concept in the first centuries of Christianity.

Helen, I have never heard of this, but would like to read more about it.  Can you recommend books or articles, or at least tell me how you learned of this?