Author Topic: Poll: Deragatory To Call Communists "Commies"?  (Read 9579 times)

ferngully

Re: Poll: Deragatory To Call Communists "Commies"?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 08:26:02 AM »
i don't think its considered an insult anymore. on the IMDB, white nationalists call everyone else commies all the time. its meant to be nasty but its just a word nobody uses to hurt anymore
selina                     xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »
Since I grew up in a anti-Bolshvik, who renamed themselves communist,  family,  I viewed the term just as it was meant to be when it was created.  To us, anyone who was a Communists was the enemy of anyone who believed in people rights and freedoms.  The useage of "Commie" was just a shorted version of Communist whom we viewed as "terrorists" who had taken contol of Russia.  There were other terms such as "Red",  "Pinko",  and other nicknames used. 

With the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the Cold War as well as the changing governments of the various Russian states,  the knowledge  of  what communism is and the various derogatory terms which surround the Communists have faded.

The English lanuage is always changing.  The younger generations aren't concern with the older generations English because they are driven to make their own mark in this world.

So,  if I use the word "Commie",  I doubt they would understand I was being derogatory and referring to  Communists who's position on my "Dislike Ladder" is at the top.

My dislike is very political.

To add to this,  my dislike toward Bolsheviks/Communists is also quite personal.  I have very vew family members who survived in Russia under the rule of Bolshevik/Communist.  Their deaths was rarely from natural causes. Some were shot because they were who and what they were.  Some were sent to camps in Siberia and i know of only one who was ever heard from again.  Some starved because there was a law which forbid Russians to fed "Kulacks", who were considered "enemies of the Russian people"....  Some were tracked down by GPU and KGB here in the USA and murdered.

As I've grown older and wiser,  I realize a person should  judge people as individuals.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I've even realized that  being a communist doesn't mean an individual approves of what the Old Regime did or continues to do.  In growing more tolerate,  my world of understanding individuals helps me to understand the different people in this world.  This doesn't mean I don't have some great discussion about why "communism will never work" and that our form of govt. here in the USA may be flawed but it's the best around.

Perhaps my post will provide information which the younger generation is not aware.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:51:40 AM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
Forgot to add my THANK YOUs to Lisa, who has been level headed and even handed with ALL of us.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
I still find the term derogatory and see it as meant to be exactly that. For those of you who preach on a supposedly moral highground, you might respect the feelings of others, even if you disagree.
 There are a few words that come to mind to describe Anti-communists, but would not be used in this forum without censure.
 The English language has not changed that much nor that fast.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »
I grew up the descendant of Irish immigrants. My people suffered under British oppression for hundreds of years. Am I within my rights on this forum to refer to the British as "limeys"? And even if I am --- which I doubt --- common good manners would prevent me from doing so.

The word "Commie" was used as a derogatory term in the 1950s. The word "Pinko" was not used in reference to Russian or Chinese communists, but as a descriptor for left-leaning Americans. And it was not used by the left-leaning Americans to describe themselves, but by tabloids and sensational journalists.

I mean this as respectfully as possible. I am within the age range of several posters who describe themselves as "elders" attempting to impart wisdom to the young. If you intend to do this, please be aware that even our generation is not monolithic in its' experiences or its' understanding of them. And while yes, the English language does change, it doesn't mean that all of it changes --- words that were charged with negative meanings fifty years ago still have the power to wound or disparage. Ask an African American.

I have several colleagues who were blacklisted by the charge of being a "pinko" or a "Commie", and I am uncomfortable with their usage. I recognize that I can't stop it, but please try and understand that there is another point of view in this matter.

"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Paul

• Boyar
  • born a century too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 09:53:29 AM »
Does the term "commie" really evoke much negative conotation anymore? It strikes me as an anarchronism- a relic of an age long dead.
The only real possession you'll ever have is your character.
Tom Wolfe
US author & journalist (1931 - )

Offline Richard_Cullen

• Graf
  • Sad memory brings the light. Thomas Moore 1815
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »
I am afraid I can see little differnce in using 'commie' rather than communist it is the same as saying 'tory' for conservative. All we need to so is be aware that some peopel find it offensive so why not say communist?

Richard
I feel like one
Who treads alone
Some banquet-hall deserted,
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all, but he, departed!
Refrain:
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumberís chain hath bound me,
Sad memíry brings the light
Of other days around me.

Thomas Moore 1815

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 05:09:51 PM »
Why, indeed? Easier to simply use the non offending term.

Offline stacey

• Boyar
  • I wanna be a princess when I grow up!!
    • View Profile
    • Knowitall
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
Seems I'm getting to this discussion a bit late!  :o

I did want to add my two kopecks' worth, tho. (Love that term BTW!!) Yes, I do think that most people use the term "commie" in a negative way--but then again, here in the US most people also use the word "communist" in a negative way! For whatever political or social or economic reasons, the majority of Americans have never found the communist system of government appealing. (Which is why some far-right people will label a Hillary Clinton a "communist"--she may not be a conservative but she is certainly no communist!! It was intended as a slur and an insult to her politics.)

And true, one of the reasons probably that communism never gained much of a following in this country is that a lot of "Red-Baiting" did occur, especially during the McCarthy Era. Let me just add that I think that Senator McCarthy was a despicable individual who only brought shame on the United States Senate--I am thoroughly ashamed to call him an American!! And his fellow witch-hunters were no better than he was!!

I just don't like any form of government that oppresses its citizens and deprives them of their fundamental rights. I don't care if they're called Communist, or Nazi, fascist, whatever--I like my freedoms! Still, I think that part of those freedoms means that every person is entitled to support whatever form of government they find most congenial---as long as we're all allowed the same right! I don't believe in "persecuting" people just because they come from a different background!

And Tania--your post made me so sad. I am a Southerner, and I want to apologize to you on behalf of all Southerners for the shameful way you and your family were treated here. It was cruel and mean and wrong and it never should have happened. I think that your name, Tatiana, is one of the most beautiful names I have ever heard (I'm not just saying that to be "nice" either--I love your name!) and please, don't ever feel ashamed of your heritage! Russia is a beautiful land and the Russians are fascinating people--this board would not even exist if so many people were not interested in Russia and the Russian people!!  :)
Sola Nobilitas Virtus

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »
Hi Stacey,

Is that a picture of you. It adorable! You know through the ages, people love to label people with diffeent types of names. But the heart of the matter, is to treat people with that of which allows all consideration possible. I of course don't lean towards the governing of communism, nor would I support it either. It's not my cup of tea. Slurs and insults do run rampant in politics don't they. If that is what they think helps to get out the vote, then it really besmirches what the real process of elections stand for.

I remember the Mcarthy hearings, and they were very vocal, and Joseph McArthy the loudest amongst all. As you can guess, he is not my cup of tea either. I work as a citified connect in and for the citizens of my city, and equal rights, disabled rights, victims rights, is something we fight for round the clock. I have for over 30 years of my life on these issues.

Though I grew up in the South, there are very wonderful memories I have of being there, and of course things one does not wish to remember at all. It should not happen to any citizen, or any visitor here through out the United States. Equal laws must prevail.
The south is a beautiful region and the people, well some have been wonderful. People are people wherever you go. All you can do is be yourself and bring your best manners always with you and open up your heart.

It took me a long time, in fact years to get used to my name, because people were so demeaning. It was only into my middle or late 20's that I started to really use my legal name. As to my being ashamed of my heritage, I am far from being ashamed. The name alone of Prince/Count/Field Marshal Suvorov is as well known throughout Russia, as the name of Washington, or Kennedy is known here. It is the least I can offer my daughter in terms of valuing family heritage. The communists may have done many things, but they cannot erase the historical figure he was to people globally.

Thank you again for your kind response, and thank you for your kind Southern approach. :) God Bless !

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »
Hi Stacey,

Is that a picture of you. It adorable!

Tania, if you are referring to stacey's avatar, that's Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova, the youngest daughter of the last Russian Tsar, Nicholas II.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »
Thank you.
TatianaA

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 03:41:56 PM »
Interesting comments Yuri!!

I don't approve of Communism either (imagine not having any of those spectacular palaces!!) but it does differ greatly.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
The best word for calling a Communist is:

"PIG"

I hope we got Cuba destroyed soon, I would like to see that boring communist musician Silvio Rodriguez dead and all the leftists supporters of marxism, killing them is not a crime, is an act of justice and liberation!!

While I certainly don't like Communism as a system of government, I greatly dislike name calling. It's rude and uncivilized. Yuri Davidovich, no name calling on this Forum.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
What is even worse, imo, ids calling murder justified and an act of "liberation".  Disgusting post.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.