Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3  (Read 244520 times)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »
Well, we have seen her at various evening engagements without anything on her head for some time.  Perhaps the hatless,scarfless look is an attempt at some small degree of informailty in her public appearances?

I think that she looks great; so fresh and spry and her colours and outfits are always spot on.  Plus what an amazing array of brooches - I suspect that she would feel a bit undressed with the ubiquitous brooches and pearls.  So great to see the Cullinan heart brooch getting so many outings, although I really don't like that enamel thing  with the rose that she is wearing in one of the photos.............. ;)
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
Ditto that on the rose brooch for me too.  Can't stand the thing.  Uggggleeee!  Where's that thread on Windsor Jewelry We Love to Hate? 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »
Hi,

I think that the enamelled rose and diamond brooch is the one that The Queen gave to her mother for her 100th birthday.
I don't mind it, but it's not a favourite of mine either.

I also want to thank the 'Duke of New Jersey' for posting all these great photographs.  It really is heartening and refreshing to see an attractive and happy woman well dressed in public now-a-days.  And, in such great colours too.

Larry

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
Re: The Queen hatless. I do think it looks strange only because we are so used to seeing her with some form of head gear. For a lady her age she has lovely thick silver hair and it's nice to see it without being covered. Has she ever changed her hair style?
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
Re: The Queen hatless. I do think it looks strange only because we are so used to seeing her with some form of head gear. For a lady her age she has lovely thick silver hair and it's nice to see it without being covered. Has she ever changed her hair style?

Not appreciably.  Her hairstyle is perfectly compatible with her need to wear both hats and tiaras and hasn't really changed all that much since the 1950's.  The flat crown with curl at the back and edges and the raised brow is a style that is typical of that era, and she obviously feels that it is practical; in addition, it suits her.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »
Well, we have seen her at various evening engagements without anything on her head for some time.  Perhaps the hatless,scarfless look is an attempt at some small degree of informailty in her public appearances?

I think that she looks great; so fresh and spry and her colours and outfits are always spot on.  Plus what an amazing array of brooches - I suspect that she would feel a bit undressed with the ubiquitous brooches and pearls.  So great to see the Cullinan heart brooch getting so many outings, although I really don't like that enamel thing  with the rose that she is wearing in one of the photos.............. ;)

I don't like the brooch either. I wouldn't wear it when there are so many goodies to choose from but I suppose there's some sentimental attachment there.

We had discussed the Queen's appearance some time back and I said how wonderful I think she looks these last few years, especially with her bright colors. She pulls them off so well, especially with her white hair, and they are very suitable for her 'job' since it must make her very easy to spot in a crowd or from a distance. (Unlike the washed-out colors Sophie often wears.) She also seems to have the best hats in the family.  :) When you look at some of the photos of the family on other threads, really an 80+ year old woman should not be the best-dressed female in the family!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »

Not appreciably.  Her hairstyle is perfectly compatible with her need to wear both hats and tiaras and hasn't really changed all that much since the 1950's.  The flat crown with curl at the back and edges and the raised brow is a style that is typical of that era, and she obviously feels that it is practical; in addition, it suits her.

It suits her!  This is the whole pont of style.  If you wear what looks good on you and works for you no one will ever notice (let alone care) if you are in fashion!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 06:01:31 PM »
So right, Tampa, I wish more women would realize this.

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »

This suit needs a hat.  The Queen almost looks naked without a hat or head scarf.

TampaBay

Is it not custom of HM that she went to Chelsea Flower Show without a hat, mostly with a head scarf for wearing it when windy or so... When I recall the last years she did every year so....

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 08:49:45 PM »
Shortly after the death of the Diana if someone had told me QEII would become the fashionista of the House of Windsor, I would have ask them what they were smoking and may I have some please.  ;D ;D ;D

QEII has somehow managed to pull off looking regal and age appropriate without looking dowdy as she did in her 40' s and 50's.  Her hats are just enough to make a fashion statement without deviating from her personal style.  Her designer seems to me to be styling her clothes around her jewelry, hats and perfect silver hair.  Even her make-up is perfect.

The queen has always worn "sensible" shoes but her shoes blend in with her outfits instead of sticking out like a sore thumb and ruining the effect.  See the latest photos of Mrs. Timothy Lawrence for a good example of how to ruin a great suit and perfect hat.

Anne really needs to make an appointment with her mother's desinger or stylists or both.  Martyn should really speak to her about this the next time he is in London.

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
I think that there is an interesting quote in W magazine this month.  It is the column written by Louise J. Esterhazy......she is picking the "style icons" of this generation, she says......."In the end, though, there is only one true icon of style:  none other than the Queen of England.  Why?  Because she has no style.....which is why she has it."

-----and to me that says it ALL.

Arleen

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »
I think that there is an interesting quote in W magazine this month.  It is the column written by Louise J. Esterhazy......she is picking the "style icons" of this generation, she says......."In the end, though, there is only one true icon of style:  none other than the Queen of England.  Why?  Because she has no style.....which is why she has it."

-----and to me that says it ALL.

Arleen

I love this column.  It is the first thing I read when I pick up the magazine.

Who else did the Countess name as an Icon of Fashion???  Inquiring Minds want to Know!!!

TampaBay

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2007, 02:46:41 PM »

Who else did the Countess name as an Icon of Fashion???  Inquiring Minds want to Know!!!

TampaBay

Oh i'm sure i'm included in there somewhere and I know for a fact Kimberly is.

The Queen looks wonderful in the above ensemble.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.