Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3  (Read 231536 times)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3
« Reply #1005 on: June 26, 2011, 02:23:21 AM »
Hi,

Wonderful!! Lucien, I enjoyed reading a factual account of life with the Queen Mother and the Royals...
Thanks.

Larry

Thank you Larry and Royalwatcher!.. ;D
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 22, 2011, 04:49:03 AM »
Buckingham Palace just announced that the President of Turkey and Mrs.Gül will pay a State Visit to the UK in november.
Mr.and Mrs. Gül will stay at Buckingham Palace.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
Goodness, aren't those dates (Nov. 22-24) close to the traditional State Opening of Parliament?

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 10, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
Please sit down before watching - this is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen! Purest English :)
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmg7goFnTkI
Meine Kaiserin

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #1009 on: August 10, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
Hilarious !  Even HRH the Prince Phillip says (in German) at the end that it (the attempt of the "English" welcoming speech) was "very good," but he couldn't understand it at all !
                                           Regards,  AP.

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
Anyone up for some light hearted speculation (or perhaps someone will have some real facts)?

We "know" that there are vaults full of royal jewels in Buckingham palace, but what about the Queen's wardrobe?  Are there rooms full of old clothes or are they sorted out periodically?  I believe I once heard that there was a stair from the Queen's rooms up to Bobo McDonald's suite and most of her clothes were kept there.  True or false?  Also, I wonder if the Queen takes clothes from each of her homes to the next our if she maintains wardrobes at each location.  Trivial stuff perhaps but it is fun to speculate :-)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
There was a newspaper article a year or two ago which said that the Queen has had a lot of her clothes remodelled over the years - evening drsses converted into short dresses and the like.

Ann

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 17, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
An article in the Mail on Sunday in 1995 demonstrated that the Queen handed clothes on to Princess Margaret - a Hardy Amies green silk coat worn in 1977 reappeared on Margaret in 1995, and a blue chiffon dress seen on the Queen in 1981 was worn by Margaret in the same year (there was a suggestion that when Margaret went off the civil list in 1992 she became keener on recycling her sister's clothes) - and there were others.  Dunno what the Queen does now, although I've read that day outfits are actually sold though I can't recall exactly how or where - only that it is very, very discreetly done. 

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
A few exhibitions in recent years have exhibited evening gowns going back to the beginning of the Queens reign and one exhibited day clothes worn on common wealth tours. They must be stored and well looked after some where!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
My speculation is that the bulk HM's wardrobe is kept primarily at Windsor as that is her primary base and I've heard the storage vaults there are enormous (e.g., Royal Collection furniture, clothing, etc.). However, that's not to say that there aren't closets (actually rooms) full of clothes at Buck House because there are. With her household staff making all the necessary preparations for her time in Buck House and Windsor, they coordinate the ensembles needed. And, if they discover that an oversight was made, getting a dress/outfit to either Buck House or Windsor is a only a short drive down the M4 of about 30 min.

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »
I'm sorry if it has already been discussed in the forum, but I'd like to know if there was a reason why princess Elizabeth was named after her mother ... I mean, even in the remote probability she could one day become a queen, that would be after her mother, so it would be somehow strange, wouldn't it?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline DNAgenie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
Clemence wrote
I'd like to know if there was a reason why princess Elizabeth was named after her mother ... I mean, even in the remote probability she could one day become a queen, that would be after her mother, so it would be somehow strange, wouldn't it?

The British royal family has always believed in recycling family names so the Queen was christened Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.  Elizabeth after her mother, Alexandra after her great grandmother (wife of Edward VII), Mary after her grandmother (wife of George V).

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 21, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »
It is interesting that three of the Queen's children got names that were not in regular use. As far as I know, the Duke of York is the only Andrew there has ever been in our royal family (clearly after the Duke of Edinburgh's father). Anne was in use as a middle name but not as a first name, and Charles had pretty much fallen out of use (the only recent one at the time of his birth was Charles Edward, Duke of Coburg).

The Prince of Wales's sons were very conventionally named - Prince Harry's baptismal name is actually Henry, and he appears in the Court Circular as Prince Henry of Wales.

Ann

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 21, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Hi Ann,

I have always thought that way too - I was happy to see Charles and Anne and Andrew given those names.
I also am glad to see Louise and James used again.

Names I would like to see revived are:  Geoffrey, Eleanor, Charlotte and Adele!!

Larry

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 22, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
I'm sorry if it has already been discussed in the forum, but I'd like to know if there was a reason why princess Elizabeth was named after her mother ... I mean, even in the remote probability she could one day become a queen, that would be after her mother, so it would be somehow strange, wouldn't it?

At the time of Elizabeth's birth, her uncle David was only 32 years old and it would have probably unthinkable at the time that he would not marry and produce an heir.  Then again, the royals (and their courtiers) do like to plan for every possibility - so who knows?