Author Topic: Books on Greek Royals  (Read 59726 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: The Inheritors of Alexander The Great
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
Congrats! I had bought a copy when it first came out, then foolishly sold it several years later. I eventually managed to get a replacement for $8 (!!!) because I guess the person selling it didn't realize what it was. Thank God for the internet!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »

my price was very expensive. but 100 dollars less then the other sellers, so its was so-so price, but my father buy  half it of it with me, so i clearly only spent under 100, it was worth it, i remember five years ago i brow it from a library and loved it. I can't wait for my copy to come in the mail. :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Okay--you're making me feel really old! LOL When I bought the book in college in was brand new.  ;)

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:10 PM »
Lol, well i'm quite old too, i'm 20, I have been a member of this forum for about six years.

Thats cool :-)

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now its all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
Re: Books on Greek Royals
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Translated using Google Chrome Default translator..

"The palace in Greece
  Richly illustrated study recounts the building of the old political regime
Nikos Vatopoulos

Think what impression did the Athenians and visitors to the city building the Palace, the current parliament, when launched in 1843. With money lent Louis of Bavaria, A (father, Otto, and that Greece had decades to repay), the palace was designed by Friedrich von Gaertner, the major architects of the neoclassical Munich was a very long building in a desert. Few Greeks think now that if Athens has a parliament building these standards, this is due to Ludwig of Bavaria.

The architect Maro Kardamitsi-Adami leads us to a rather inaccessible world of the 19th century. The same dire researcher of the history of Athens man who dares to suggest stops and looks towards the city, stating that he brings owl with its new study on the "Palace" in Greece, but organizes our knowledge and invites us to see with another look at a piece of history. In fact do much more.

Unfulfilled plans
Because, while researching the archives of George kept at the National History Museum, unfolds not only the building of political dynasties in Greece (both on and on Othon George), but brings to light many unfulfilled plans of buildings. All that knowledge is located in a perfect album titled 'Palace in Greece, "adopted by the house" Melissa "and the National History Museum (great photos of George Yerolymbou).

What struck me in the research of Maro Kardamitsi-Adami is calm, mature and comprehensive approach to a matter in which Greece had so far emerged that apparently cymose attitude towards our society in history. Is the situation as the Tatoi is an open question that has been delayed, which requires to be offered in Greece (as in all European countries) information about what existed before.

Indeed, this publication seeks cut from that side, because not only has spectacular building of the current Parliament and the Presidential Palace (built by Schiller as a residence successor), the Mon Repos, the Achillion, the Queen and the Tower Tatoi, structures that exist to date (regardless if you do not know the inside), but raises all the unfulfilled plans for the building was never built.

As bourgeois villas
As aptly pointed out by Maro Kardamitsi-Adami, kings in Greece were aware that the country was poor, so not sexy built palaces. What in the palaces of Greece is called for other countries bourgeois villas. However, all have their history, their contribution to shaping a fixed architectural environment and serve as a mirror together, European style aesthetic of the period 1840-1914.

Numerous files were used for the publication. For the first time the proposals of L. Lange on Otto's palace, the proposal of Christian Hansen for Vacation palaces of King George, his plans for the Chiller now the Presidential Palace, the proposal of E. Piat for Royal Pavilion in Piraeus, plans for the palace was planned in Tripoli, etc. It is an aesthetic delight.

Maro Kardamitsi-Adami, "Palaces in Greece." Ed. National History Museum and "Melissa."

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline edtash

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:44 AM »
Royal Hellenic Dynasty is a marvelous book I treasure. I first got the Greek version and was overjoyed when the English version was published by Eurohistory.com a great decision and a great piece of work!!

Eddie
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:00:04 AM by Alixz »

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »
There is a new book out about the Royal Family of Greece: The Greek Royal Family from the collection of Anastasios G. Capa
Its from King George I until the fall of the Hellenic dynasty.

The book is available through: www.hoogstraten.nl

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
ΔΕΛΤΙΟ ΤΥΠΟΥ

Ημερολόγιο Πρίγκιπος Νικολάου
1909-1912
επιμέλεια Κώστας Μ. Σταματόπουλος

Διαστάσεις: 16 x 24
Σελίδες: 656
Τιμή: 25 ευρώ
ISBN: 978.960. 9513.04.3

Κυκλοφόρησε από τις εκδόσεις Φερενίκη το βιβλίο Ημερολόγιο Πρίγκιπος Νικολάου 1909-1912 σε επιμέλεια Κώστα Μ. Σταματόπουλου.
Όπως σημειώνει στον πρόλογό του ο επιμελητής της εκδόσεως, το Ημερολόγιο του Πρίγκιπος Νικολάου (1872-1938) είναι το μόνο τέτοιο κείμενο που διαθέτουμε μέχρι στιγμής από μέλος της δυναστείας του Γεωργίου Α και αποτελεί πρώτης τάξεως πηγή, επιτρέπουσα την εισχώρηση στα ενδότερα των Ανακτόρων και της βασιλικής οικογένειας, προκειμένου να αντιληφθούμε το τι συνέβαινε σε έναν χώρο για τον οποίο σχεδόν ό,τι γνωρίζουμε είναι από δεύτερο χέρι. Το Ημερολόγιο αφηγείται στη λεπτομέρειά της, μία κομβική περίοδο πολύπλευρης κρίσης, θανάσιμων εθνικών απειλών και ραγδαίων προσαρμογών, διαστάσεις της οποίας έντονα θυμίζουν τη δική μας, σε βαθμό μάλιστα αποθάρρυνσης, καθ ότι η περιγραφή της Ελλάδας του 1909/1910, μηδενίζει ως προς πολλά τον αιώνα που μεσολάβησε.
         Επίσης, δίνει τη δυνατότητα της γνωριμίας με έναν συμπαθέστατο άνθρωπο, τον βασιλόπαιδα Νικόλαο, συγκινητικό στην προσπάθειά του να μην αδικήσει την αντίπερα πλευρά, και να φθάσει όσο πιο κοντά γίνεται στην αλήθεια, με αφοπλιστική ειλικρίνεια και τιμιότητα.

Εκδόσεις Φερενίκη
Σπευσίππου 26-28, Αθήνα 10675
Τηλ. 210-7220043
Φαξ: 210-7220170
Email: fereniki@fereniki.com

the above is about a presentation of a new book on the diaries of prince nikolaos of greece, which will take place in hotel plaza, syntagma sq., athens, greece in march 10th, 2011 at 19.00

Αγαπητοί φίλοι,
>
> Ο κ. Κώστας Σταματόπουλος, Ιστορικός και συγγραφέας του Χρονικού του Τατοίου θα χαρεί πολύ να παρευρεθούμε στην παρουσίαση του νέου του βιβλίου "Ημερολόγιο Πρίγκιπος Νικολάου 1909-1912" που κυκλοφόρησε από τις εκδόσεις Φερενίκη.
>
> Η παρουσίαση θα λάβει χώρα στο ξενοδοχείο Plaza (Πλατεία Συντάγματος) στις 10 Μαρτίου και ώρα 1900.
>
> Θα σας αποστείλω σύντομα και τη σχετική πρόσκληση εκ μέρους του.
>
> Σας επισυνάπτω σχετικό δελτίο τύπου.
>
> Θα χαρώ πολύ να σας συναντήσω.
>
> Με φιλικούς χαιρετισμούς,
> Βασίλης Κουτσαβλής
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now its all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »
There is a new book out about the Royal Family of Greece: The Greek Royal Family from the collection of Anastasios G. Capa
Its from King George I until the fall of the Hellenic dynasty.

The book is available through: www.hoogstraten.nl

I just ordered that book a few days ago, and i cant wait to get it in the mail. I tell you all about it when i get it. Luckily i know how to read names in Greek and that my boyfriend is Greek (he reads and speaks Greek). :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
I have to say,I already have it and was displeased.  I don't recall one new photo,the book wasn't large (ala a coffee-table book) and the photo quality was poor. I actually regretted purchasing (very rare) esp at the price. :  (

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
GrandDuchess Ella-  thank you for an inside :)

Off topic but i found this very strange about my boyfriend. He Greek and has a lot of Greek pride! but he doesnt know ANY history of Greece which I studied for about seven years. And i asked him if he wants to know any but he said no, which i find strange.

I have a feeling he'll well not help me translate the book, maybe if there is any letter and such i can ask his mother (whom is from Greece) to help me out and maybe any new info well be a joy to you all. :)

Eric - yes. that book is great. but my favorite is  The Life Story of Princess Marina by Grace Ellison. the book has a lot of great photos (though small and poor quality ) of a small Marina and  many with her sisters Olga and Elisabeth.

books that i have about the Greek Royal family:

1. For Love of A King – Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia – 1956

2.   The Royal House of Greece- Air Vic Marshal Arthur Gould Lee- 1948

3.   My Fifty Years – HRH Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark (forward by Arturo E. Beeche)- 2006

4.   Memoirs- HRH Prince Christopher of Greece & Denmark – 1938

5.   Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece – Hugo Vickers- 2000

6.   Princess Alice – Toni Breidel- 2006 (Texted in  Greek)

7.  Marina –Sophia Watson – 1994

8.  HRH Princess Marina Duchess of Kent – J Wentworth Day- 1962

9. The Life Story of Princess Marina – Grace Ellison –1934

10.  Princess Marina her life and times – Stella King – 1969

11.   Intimate Life Story of HRH the Duchess of Kent – Baroness Helena Von der Horen- 1937

12. Royal Romances, Prince George and Princess Marina – Marshall Cavendish – 1991

13. Helen, Portrait of a Queen –Radu Princpe de Hohenzollern Veringen – 2007 (Texted in both English and Romanian)

14.   The Inheritors of Alexander the Great – G. Nicholas Tantzos -1986

15.   The Royal Hellenic Dynasty – HRH Prince Michael of Greece, Mrs. Helen Helmis Markesinis and Arturo E. Beeche – 2007

16.   The Royal House of Greece – HRH Prince Michael of Kent and Alan Palmer – 1990

17. Royal Destiny- E.E.P. Tisdall -1955
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:58:06 PM by Mandie, the Gothic Empress »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
Yes. I think your boyfriend must be born after King Constantine II left Greece. The ruling party did all they could to spray paint the Royal Family from their history...

I have all that and...

1. The Empress Frederick writes to Sophie (letters) edited by Arthur Gould Lee
2, Princess Marie Bonaparte (story of Princess George of Greece) by Ceila Bertin.
3. The Queen Mother Helen of Romania by Arthur Gould Lee.
4. A Romanov Diary by Grand Duchess George of Russia (Princess Marie of Greece).

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Yep, my boyfriend was born in 1984. But his mother lived in Greece until she was a pre-teenager. She remembers walking to school and seeing army tanks in the streets, she was terrified. Also her classmates, whom she went to school with in Greece, were killed after she came to America. They were protesting against the Government.

but also my boyfriend doesnt even know Ancient Greek legends and etc..that part is the strangest.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
I guess that depends on what level of education he got and what school he went to. Not an expert on Greek school curriculum...