Author Topic: Houses of Hesse - branches and titles  (Read 66894 times)

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Houses of Hesse - branches and titles
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2006, 03:12:20 PM »
In Switzerland they don't use the ▀ at all, which makes life a lot easier!  :)

Liechtenstein neither! ;D
It┤s only used in Germany and Austria and nowadays you can nearly always use "ss" when in former times you had to use "▀".

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2006, 04:42:17 PM »
Many of the "Hesse-Others" as you call them  :D did only exist for few years. These splinter lines were founded because of lack of money.

The first Landgraf of Hessen-Darmstadt, Georg I, had two sons who got Landgravedoms of their own: Hessen-Braubach and Hessen-Butzbach.
Later they were joined by Hessen Homburg (which existed, like Hessen-Kassel, the eldest of the 4 "main-lines", until 1866 as independant states).

Hesse-Kassel produced Hessen-Philipsthal, Hessen-Philipsthal-Barchfeld, Hessen-Rumpenheim, Hessen-Eschwege etc etc.

As for Hesse-Darmstadt/Hesse and the Rhine: the Landgraf Ludwig X of Hesse Darmstadt had to join the Rhine-Alliance of Napoleon in 1806 and was created HRH Ludwig I Grand Duke of Hesse. In 1816 he was able to add the Rhine area to his Grand Duchy and so the title was extended Hesse AND THE RHINE.
So since 1816 the titles are Royal Highness for Grand Ducke/Duchess and Hereditary Grand Duke/Duchess; Grand Ducal Highness for the princes and princesses.
For the family members in England and Russia they were generally "the Darmstadts"

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:44:21 PM by Thomas_Hesse »
Meine Kaiserin

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »
Hope you don't mind me pointing out a minor correction.

Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig married Princess Eleonore "Onor" of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich, Solms-Braunfels is another branch from the House of Solms.

You may find my Web Page at: http://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymond/German_Kingdoms.htm , scroll down to Hesse-Cassel and Hesse-Darmstadt of some interest as a it gives some background to the Hesse (House of Brabant).

Allan Raymond

TB:

That makes sense.  I saw that evolution as a result of Prince Alexander of Hesse-Darmstadt's morganatic marriage to Countess Julia von Hauke.

According to a few sources, this is the evolution of the Hesse by Rhine family: Ernest Louis Charles Albert William (de: Ernst Ludwig Karl Albert Wilhelm), (25 November 1868-9 October 1937) was the last Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine from 1892 until his abdication in 1918. His nickname was Ernie.  Despite allegation from his first wife Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, that he was gay, he married Princess Eleonore of Solms-Braunfels, with whom he had two sons:  George Donatus of Hesse (1906-1937), who married Princess Cecilie of Greece (sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh), and had three children (2 boys and a girl).   The other son Louis of Hesse (1908-1968) married Margaret Campbell Geddes, with no issue. He adopted Prince Maurice of Hesse-Kassel as his heir.

Louis succeeded George in 1937 when he and his family died in a tragic plane crash en route to the UK.  His surviving daughter of age three was adopted by family members and dies a few years later of meningitis.

And so ends the Hesse-Darmstadt family.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
Yes,linnea is right.There is also a family Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld.The present head is Prince Wilhelm Chlodwig who is the son of Prince wilhelm Ernst von Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld and Princess Marianne of Prussia!

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »
Why is the title "by Rhine?" Is it a historical reference to the fact that Hesse is near the Rhine?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »
They were the branch of the Hesse family who lived "bie Rhein", by the Rhine.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2007, 08:39:24 AM »
The Landgrafen of Hessen-Darmstadt were created Grand Dukes of Hesse (Gro▀herz÷ge von Hessen) in 1806 after being forced to join Napoleon Ist's Rhine Alliance.
After Napoleons army had been defeated in 1815
their territory was enlarged to the western part, including cities near to the Rhine river, such as Mainz, Lorsch, Worms etc. Thats why the title was changed in "Hesse and the Rhine" (Hessen und bei Rhein)
Meine Kaiserin

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »
No, Ernst Ludwig was the last Grand Duke. The present head of the house is Prince Moritz of the Hesse-Kassel branch. The Hesse by the Rhine (Darmstadt) branch died out in the male line with the death of Prince Ludwig.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
Yes...Ernie's younger son and husband of Peg Hesse. Although he did not use the title of Grand Duke after WW I.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Neither did his elder brother--who was the hereditary Grand Duke.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
Indeed. In that context, the last Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine was of course Ernie.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
and Ernie was stilll known as the Grossherzog even after 1918 - and for the next 19 years.  Actually Moritz is the Landgrave.

No, Ernst Ludwig was the last Grand Duke. The present head of the house is Prince Moritz of the Hesse-Kassel branch. The Hesse by the Rhine (Darmstadt) branch died out in the male line with the death of Prince Ludwig.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
Moritz is still known by his title of Langrave or just a curtesy address ?

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »
The title "Landgraf" is out of courtesy - all the members of the hessian family have to bear the titles "Prince/ss and Landgraf/in of Hesse" in their passports so as to enable Moritz to officially hold the title Landgraf as the head of his family.
It seems that - like in Austria - all titles were abolished in 1918 (the head of the former royal bavarian house is just "Duke of Bavaria")
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
Yes. They put their title as last names too.