Author Topic: Duke Max and Duchess Ludovica (née Princess of Bavaria) in Bavaria - Empress Elisabeth's parents  (Read 115382 times)

Offline Kaiserin Sissi

• I Love Sissi and Franz Josef
    • View Profile
    • Site de l'Association Elisabeth Impératrice d'Autriche - Reine de Hongrie (Sissi)
Does anybody have infos and maybe pictures about the mother of Maximilien in Bayern ( the father of Sissi) and did he have brothers and sisters ?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
I guess she was the only child from her father's first (and both) marriages.

http://genealogia.netopia.pt/pessoas/pes_show.php?id=126734

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
We have already discussed about Amalie d'Arenberg, Maximilian's mother. No one in this discussion board has ever seen a portrait of Amalie. There must be one or two in the castle of Landshut in Bavaria. Maybe I have time to go there one day.

Maximilian didn't have any siblings. His parents went seperate ways soon after his birth. Besides that, Amalie wasn't in good health. Maybe she hadn't survived another birth. It's a pity that they couldn't see each other regularly in the last years of her life since Maximilian was educated in Munich and Amalie lived in Bamberg. Anyway, Maximilian was very close to his mother and suffered a lot when she died.

Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Marie Valerie

• Graf
  • Erzherzogin von Österreich (1868-1924)
    • View Profile
I'm looking for pics ONLY with Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria on it, especially before she was married to Duke Max.

Please help!

Agneschen

There was no photography back then. You will only find portraits/drawings of young Ludovika.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
There aren't many portraits known to the public which were painted before 1828 (marriage to Max).

I have some paintings showing young Ludovica, her siblings and her parents. But I definitely have photographs of the duchess in older age. I'll post them tomorrow.

Elisabeth

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yeah, the dog was called Bummerl.  :D

Elisabeth

Offline Daniela

• Boyar
  • Castle Rihenberk
    • View Profile
I've read many times that Max had a lot of illegitimate children. Can someone tell about them and also about their mothers. I presume that Max had more than one lover. :P

Daniela
Izberi svojo ljubezen, in ljubi svoj izbor!

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Can anybody name some special ones of Max´illeg. children, if he had some? Are they known? My knowledge of the Wittelsbach family is not the best, but I would be interested. Are there pictures of them? Did Sisi have a contact to the other children of Max, who were not from the marriage with her mother?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
I think it's only a rumour that Max had so many illegitimate children. In my books I've only read about two daughters, but their names were not mentioned. Max had contact to these daughters. In spite of his children by Ludovica, his two daughters could enter their father's room whenever they wanted to. Besides, Max had dinner with them every day.

One of these daughters became a nun. Albert of T&T, Helene's son, told the author Sexau that the other daughter was very tall, but ugly. He met her once in Munich.

I guess that Ludovica's children knew their half-sisters as they were daily guests in the Maxpalais in Munich. It is also said that Marie Queen of Naples brought her half-sisters to Duke Max after he had died.

Elisabeth

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Don't know how much of you are interested but I found a portrait of Duchess Amalie's(Sissi's grandmother) step-mother,Duchess Elisabeth von Arenberg,born Princess Shakhovskoy...

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Marc, have you ever seen a portrait von Amalie Arenberg? I'm desperately searching for it.  :(

Elisabeth

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Me too,but I have never seen it-not even black or white one!  :'(

Rani

I think that is the death Ludovika. What do you mean?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:24:16 PM by MarieCharlotte »