Author Topic: Duke Max and Duchess Ludovica (née Princess of Bavaria) in Bavaria - Empress Elisabeth's parents  (Read 113424 times)

Rani

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
I think that is the death Ludovika. What do you mean?

Francesco II., Ludovica's son-in-law, gave the order for this marbel statue which was most probably done by Mr. Rümann in May 1892.

Once this statue was located in the chapel of the Herzog Max Palais. Today you can see the same statue in the ducal crypt at Tegernsee. Maybe the statue was brought from Munich to Tegernsee or the statue at the crypt is just a copy ...
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Rani

I think that is the death Ludovika. What do you mean?

Francesco II., Ludovica's son-in-law, gave the order for this marbel statue which was most probably done by Mr. Rümann in May 1892.

Once this statue was located in the chapel of the Herzog Max Palais. Today you can see the same statue in the ducal crypt at Tegernsee. Maybe the statue was brought from Munich to Tegernsee or the statue at the crypt is just a copy ...

Francisco was nice. Even if he were not a great king. He was a family human being. And that´s great.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Ludovika was in love of Prince D. Miguel of Bragança, gr.grand-father of D.Duarte.
A convict absolutist, the Prince had been involved in a few rebellions against his father King D.João VI, a fair constitutional monarch.
In his plots he was supported by his mother, the infamous Queen Joaquina-Carlota of Spain.
D.Miguel was exiled and lived, among other places, in Vienna.
I suppose, it was there that he first met Ludovika.
Then after D.João VI's death (1826) the Prince returned to Portugal and he was appointed Regent in behalf of his 7 year old niece D.Maria da Glória, whom he should marry in due time.
Instead, in 1828 D.Miguel proclaimed himself King and ruled effectively as an absolute monarch until 1834 when the brotherly civil war ended and he had to leave again for exile.

By then Ludovika had been married to Duke Max in Bavaria.
Apparently her father King Maximilian I didn't approve Ludovika's infatuation and married her swiftly to her cousin.
Later, the two families were to be joined in marriage in several occasions:
Ludovika's son Carl-Theodore married D.Miguel's daughter Infanta D.Maria José.
Ludovika's grand-daughter Elizabeth (Nene's daughter) would marry D.Miguel's son, D.Miguel (II) Duke of Bragança.

Does anybody know if in definitive exile, D.Miguel kept any contact with Ludovika ?
He lived mostly in Bavaria in Kleinheubach, a fief of his in-laws family, the Princes of Loewenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, the eldest line of the Wittelsbach family.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

By then Ludovika had been married to Duke Max in Bavaria.
Apparently her father King Maximilian I didn't approve Ludovika's infatuation and married her swiftly to her cousin.

Well, Duke Max and Princess Ludovica had known each other since their early childhood. Duke Wilhelm (Max's grandfather) and King Max I. (Ludovica's father) were close friends and political partners. It was their plan to upvalue the new branch of the Dukes in Bavaria by a marriage between Max and a daughter of Max I. Wilhelm didn't care about the name of this princess. Max I. chose his youngest and favourite daughter Caroline, called Ni, to be the future wife of his godson Max in Bavaria. But Caroline died in 1821, so the next available princess had to take her place: Ludovica. Wilhelm wrote Eh bien, il épousera Louison. Their marriage was settled in 1825, but the official engagement was two years later in December 1827.
Ludovica met Miguel for the first time at Vienna in 1826, when she visited her sister Archduchess Sophie. By this time, she had already been Duke Max in Bavaria's unofficial bride. The love of Ludovica and Miguel never had a chance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 02:09:58 PM by MarieCharlotte »

Elisabeth

Rani

This was on ebay. Ludovika in 1860 with her grandchildren. No names of them.
They could be:

Marie Louise Wallersee (1858)
Louise Mathilde Taxis (1859)
Elisabeth Taxis (1860)
Did I forget a grandchild?

I don´t think that Gisela (1856) and Rudolf (1858) are on the picture.
The new-born in her hands could be Elisabeth. The child left to her Louise and the other Marie. ???
Thanks for replies.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:41:18 PM by Rani »

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
In my opinion this cdv doesn't show Ludovica. I also wrote to the seller and told him about my doubts. He answered that the girls are Luisa and Elisabeth of Thurn und Taxis and a daughter of Empress Sisi - e.g. it has to be Gisela. He also informed me that this cdv once belonged to Princess Wiltrud, a daughter of Ludwig III. of Bavaria.

However, this woman is definitely NOT Ludovica.

By the way: He didn't want to send me a bigger version ... Guess why ...

Elisabeth

Offline synnadene

• Boyar
  • Maria Annunziata 1843-1871
    • View Profile

I agree, Marie. In ca. 1860 Ludovica was already much older then the lady on the picture. Although the seller made a good business with 56 Euros (!!). I can imagine the buyer, what an expert :-))

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
I also saw that CDV on e-bay and had doubts as well. The woman doesn't look like Ludovica at all. She could be a nanny for example though I am not sure. I am not sure about the little girls either, and even if the CDV belonged to Princess Wiltrud that didn't mean it portrayed Royalties.

Rani

The girls could be Ludovikas grandchildren, but it´s a pity that are no pictures of Ludovika as a young woman.

Rani

Busts of Ludovika and her sister Marie

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Young Duchess Ludovika with children

The pics about dead Ludovika are a little bit scary.
Russia cannot be grasped with the mind, or measured in feet and inches, for she has a special character: In Russia one can only believe. ~Fyodor Tyutchev.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

Elisabeth

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Haven’t you got some pics about young Duchess Ludovika? I remember one painting that I saw years ago on Wikipedia of young Ludovika (she looked very pretty) but I didn’t save it, I tried to search it again even in other places but I couldn’t find it, Perhaps you’ve seen it before. :-) Please if you see it post it, You always post wonderful and interesting things. :-)
Russia cannot be grasped with the mind, or measured in feet and inches, for she has a special character: In Russia one can only believe. ~Fyodor Tyutchev.

Rani

http://www.boltz-auktionen.de/zuschlaege.html

On this site there is a painting of Ludovika and one of her daughters. Which daughter could it be? There is no year or a bigger version.