Author Topic: Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals  (Read 67245 times)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Sandringham
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 03:25:49 PM »
A view of the church, inside are some beautiful marble portrait plaques to Edward Vlls siblings, Vicky, Affie, Alice and Leopold. The one of Vicky was particularly nice. They have also just erected one to the Queen Mother.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the house behind this wall is Park House, Princess Dianas childhood home. According to Annie Edwards the young Diana would walk through this entrance to visit her brothers grave.

Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 03:30:11 PM »
A few carriages..

And this is the car that Princess Anne was travelling in when she was involved in the attempted kidnap on the Mall in London. Apparently the kidnapper yanked her out of it after she refused to get out!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 05:55:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing these pictures, they're super. I think in Queen Mary's Photo Album, there is a picture of George V in a row boat on the lake taken shortly after they were married.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »
You are welcome Keith. Imagine when Bertie has his brush with typhoid and there is the funny story of how some of the royal family saw Queen Victoria coming and they all ran off!! I wonder where abouts that was  ;D

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »
A view of the church, inside are some beautiful marble portrait plaques to Edward Vlls siblings, Vicky, Affie, Alice and Leopold. The one of Vicky was particularly nice. They have also just erected one to the Queen Mother.

Is this the one of Vicky at Sandringham?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
The front...imagine the carriages rolling up with the distinguished guests? There's a photo in the museum of the Wales princesses standing out here with a carriage and Charlotte K. looking out of the window on the right of the entrance.

Is this the one?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »
Yes those are the ones!!! I love that one of Vicky. The QV one is lovely too!!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Appleton House
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 08:37:31 PM »
I wonder if photos of the inside survive ? It would ne nice to see the interiors (if just in photos).  ::)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:34 AM »
GD Ella, is that picture of Vickys memorial from a book? Come to think of it the one in Sandringham Church has Vicky facing the other way and it is more grand but very similar. Their is a similar one of Fritz facing Vickys. Alices one is nice to but not as grand and hers is next to one of Leopold. Queen Marys one is also lovely.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »
Great shots, Eddieboy...thanks so much sharing.   Are there any grace & favour apartments at Sandringham, or has it always been exclusive for the monarch?     I know that Charlotte Knollys & Dighton Probyn lived there with Alexandra, just wondering if any other residents were, or are, afforded the priviledge.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 12:01:17 PM »
You are welcome! I am sure their are as on the way we passed quite a few cottages which I believe might well be grace are favour. Also correct me if i'm wrong but I believe York Cottage was turned into grace and favour apartments?? Either that or offices?

EDIT: Actually I think it was turned into apartments for those working on the estate??

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
in 1922 when HRH The Duchess of ALbany died, CLaremont should have naturally passed to HRH Charles, Duke of Coburg, and I understand why it didn't pass to him b/c he was stripped of his british titles under the Titles deprivation Act passed when HM George V also changed the name of the Dynasty etc...etc... 

Supposedly Parliement dissalowed his inheriting the property and it went up to public auction and then ended up beingbought by Sir. William Corry, Director of the Cunnard line.

What I don't understand is why Coundn't Helen (duchess of albany) have left the home to Alice  I mean CHarles was in Germany, rich in his own right, and Alice was in england and an active member of the Royal Family.   What stopped Alice from getting Claremont?   

Also ANyone know what type of settlement HRH Alice Duchess of Albany lived off of when Queen Victoria Died?  We've all heard about the problems that HRH the Duchess of KEnt faced after the death of her husband, what was different with the Duchess of Albany??

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 12:55:14 PM »

The Duchess of Albany sold Claremont several months before her death.

in 1922 when HRH The Duchess of ALbany died, CLaremont should have naturally passed to HRH Charles, Duke of Coburg, and I understand why it didn't pass to him b/c he was stripped of his british titles under the Titles deprivation Act passed when HM George V also changed the name of the Dynasty etc...etc... 

Supposedly Parliement dissalowed his inheriting the property and it went up to public auction and then ended up beingbought by Sir. William Corry, Director of the Cunnard line.

What I don't understand is why Coundn't Helen (duchess of albany) have left the home to Alice  I mean CHarles was in Germany, rich in his own right, and Alice was in england and an active member of the Royal Family.   What stopped Alice from getting Claremont?   

Also ANyone know what type of settlement HRH Alice Duchess of Albany lived off of when Queen Victoria Died?  We've all heard about the problems that HRH the Duchess of KEnt faced after the death of her husband, what was different with the Duchess of Albany??
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »
According to Alice's memoirs, in 1917 for financial reasons Helen leased Claremont and when it was eventually sold she moved into Clock House at Kensington Palace. That was her home at the time of her death.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »
Very INteresting.. So Helen moved into Clock house first.  I know that Princess Alice ended up in Clock House eventually.. Very interesting indeed.

Was ALice able to Remove all Posessions from The estated b efore they sold it??