Author Topic: Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals  (Read 67244 times)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Country Homes (Estates) of British Royals
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
You will find that the Claremont sale was discussed in the press for the time - ie the Times.  Helen also did sell some items - and those auctions are also mention in the news media for 1922. 
Very INteresting.. So Helen moved into Clock house first.  I know that Princess Alice ended up in Clock House eventually.. Very interesting indeed.

Was ALice able to Remove all Posessions from The estated b efore they sold it??

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »
The Atlhone's purchased Brantridge Park after WWI. Helen Albany lived there during the summer and the Athlone's in the winter. Even if Helen owned Claremont at the time of her death, Alice & family already had a residence.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »
So when exactly did the Athlones take up residence in Clock House?  and Did they sell Brantridge park before he took up Governor General (post of ) Canada?

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm not sure when they moved into Clock House. I know they still owned Brantridge Park during WWII, as Princess Beatrice was living there at the time of her death in October 1944.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »
Accodring to Theo Aronson's book on Alice, they gave up Brantridge Park around the time of their return from Canada in 1946. They moved into Clock House probably late 1922 or early 1923 after Helen's death.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 01:36:55 PM »
In 1940,  Lord Athlone put Brantridge Park up for rent - and the tenants were the Carisbrookes and Princess Beatrice.  By 1947, the house was owned by the Lawson family.  It has been sold several times since then and is now available for times shares  
I'm not sure when they moved into Clock House. I know they still owned Brantridge Park during WWII, as Princess Beatrice was living there at the time of her death in October 1944.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:19:48 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks Marlene.

I always thought the Athlone's lent Beatrice Brantridge during WWII. Didn't realize it was rented to the Carisbrooke's and Beatrice.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
The Athlones put an advert in the Times to rent the estate - most likely they made arrangements with the Carisbrookes - in fact Brantridge is listed as their home when Lady Iris married for the first time. It was probably safer for Beatrice to be outside of London during the war

Thanks Marlene.

I always thought the Athlone's lent Beatrice Brantridge during WWII. Didn't realize it was rented to the Carisbrooke's and Beatrice.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 05:31:18 PM »

The Duchess of Albany sold Claremont several months before her death.

in 1922 when HRH The Duchess of ALbany died, CLaremont should have naturally passed to HRH Charles, Duke of Coburg, and I understand why it didn't pass to him b/c he was stripped of his british titles under the Titles deprivation Act passed when HM George V also changed the name of the Dynasty etc...etc... 

Supposedly Parliement dissalowed his inheriting the property and it went up to public auction and then ended up beingbought by Sir. William Corry, Director of the Cunnard line.

What I don't understand is why Coundn't Helen (duchess of albany) have left the home to Alice  I mean CHarles was in Germany, rich in his own right, and Alice was in england and an active member of the Royal Family.   What stopped Alice from getting Claremont?   

Also ANyone know what type of settlement HRH Alice Duchess of Albany lived off of when Queen Victoria Died?  We've all heard about the problems that HRH the Duchess of KEnt faced after the death of her husband, what was different with the Duchess of Albany??

According to the New York Times, the house was bought after the death of the owner, Clive, for Pss Charlotte upon her marriage to Prince Leopold (afterwards Leopold I of the Belgians). Leopold would later transfer his rights to his niece, Victoria. It was one of the homes of the exile King Louis Philippe (Leopold's father-in-law) before being given to Prince Leopold. During WW1, she gave up part of the house to use for wounded officers. After Helen leased it out, it apparently was a girl's school.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 05:35:58 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Sandringham
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
Hello Eddieboy,

So if I have understood you visited Sandringham house. Can you try to answer my question?

Can you tell me the exact sequence of the rooms you visited? I mean, the first room you saw must have been the Saloon, then maybe you visited the little drawing room with the portraits of Alexandra's Parents...then how did you get to the Lobby room? Did you see the staircase?

Thanks for your help! :)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 03:11:24 PM »
Hi gleb, of course. Let me try and remember. You enter through the main entrance (where Princess Alice and Alexandra met QV when she arrived at Sandringham on 29 November 1871 when Bertie was ill with typhoid). I cant remember the exact names of the rooms as don't have the guide book with me but you turn left into the main hall:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12254/12254-h/images/illus252.jpg

Then you go through that door on the right of the picture, turn right and walk down a small hall with all manner of weapons on the walls. Then turn left into the small drawing room with the paintings of Alexandras parents and where I think im right in saying the Queen does her Christmas speech.

Then it's on to the long room (drawing room?) with a fireplace at each end (some pictures exist of Alix and her daughters in front of one) and at the other end is the large and lovely picture of Alix painted in about 1892 holding the small cameo of Eddy. As well as two nice paintings of Maud and Toria. This room has Alixs collection of minature animals.

If my memory serves me correctly it's then onto the Dining Room and then though their, through a door in the corner and you are into a gun room with all the old guns (you can see a stair case through some glass panelled doors). Then following the passage past the paintings of George and Eddy as teenagers and the lovely one of Alix dresses in balck with a little dog. Their are also some lovely bronzes of Berties horse Persimon and gifts from Marie Feodorovna. It's a long corridor and then arrive in the ball room and then out into the garden.

I think thats about right. It really is a lovely house.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »
Hi Eddie,

Thanks a lot for your help! :) you have been very helpful to me.

One more question: can you remember which door of the dining room leads to the gun lobby? the one nearer to the long white white drawing room or the other one (near the fireplace)?

Thanks again!

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
My pleasure gleb. You enter the dining room through the white door and the fireplace is on the left. The other door is in the corner next to the screens and leads to the gun lobby.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »

^York Cottage is used for offices now.  Not apartments

You are welcome! I am sure their are as on the way we passed quite a few cottages which I believe might well be grace are favour. Also correct me if i'm wrong but I believe York Cottage was turned into grace and favour apartments?? Either that or offices?

EDIT: Actually I think it was turned into apartments for those working on the estate??

Offline boffer

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »
Yes i remember there was once a programme where York Cottage was breifly toured ..... and it was amazing from when showing pictures of the rooms in use to how they are now with the desks and other office "what nots" it stuck me how very small the rooms actually were.
"There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors - a noble motto, "I serve". " - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.