Author Topic: Aleksei's Epaulettes?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Aleksei's Epaulettes?
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:13:42 AM »
I have these labeled as belinging to Aleksei Nikolaevich:

Is that correct?

Also, these are unidentified, but they're in the same grouping in my files with much of Aleksei's other militaria. Could these also have belonged to the tsesarevich?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

David_Pritchard

Re: Aleksei's Epaulettes?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 06:58:22 PM »
I have been looking over dozens of photographs of Aleksei Nikolaievich in uniform and I have yet to find one of them bearing rank insignia like the epaulettes that you posted. I believe that Aleksei was officially listed as a cadet or maybe an ensign in some regiments but I doubt that he would have held the rank of lieutenant.

Someone on this forum should know the facts on this topic.

David

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:30:32 AM »
Alexey did have the rank of second lieutenant [podporuchik] in all regiments and military schools of which he was a colonel-in-chief. Several photos show him in various officer uniforms, although his everyday military-style costume was that of a soldier (corporal during WWI) or a sailor. The shoulder boards are those of a hussar regiment, with a typical zig-zag "hussar braid". I haven't seen any mention of Alexey's being appointed colonel-in-chief of one of hussar regiments.

Offline Patrokl

• Decendant of Navy and Cossacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:10:51 AM »
Epaulettes - 2nd Lieutenant in the Guards Regiment. There were several Guards regiments that wore the gold braid on red   
                  base cloth.

Shoulder Boards - 2nd Lieutenant in His Majesties Guard Hussar Regiment.

There were several of these epaulettes and shoulder boards issued at this rank to many officers. Attributing these items to Aleksei would be impossible unless there is museum provinaunce or documentation from the period. More then likely, it was a concocted dealers story given to up the value of these pieces and everyone knows that Russian dealers are good with their stories when it suits their pockets. These items are all original in great condition. The Aleksei story is skeptic.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, Patrokl.

For my purposes, it's not so important for me to know if Aleksei actually owned these particular epaulettes and shoulder boards. All I need to know is whether he would have worn epaulettes or shoulder boards identical to the ones pictured.
 :)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King