The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 30, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
460927 Posts in 8931 Topics by 14523 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Windsors (Moderators: grandduchessella, ChristineM, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author
Locked Topic Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 214775 times)
Reply #195
« on: August 20, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17230

View Profile

Yes...Wallis was touched by the visit and glad that the Duke was able to meet his niece before the end. I think it was also the first time Prince Charles met his grand-uncle (another Prince of Wales to boot !) !  Wink
Reply #196
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:08:59 PM »
Cunarder Offline
Always in Steerage, But in a Tux Posts: 29

View Profile

I haven't been posting that long here on this site, but I want to say that this thread has been my favorite, and have so enjoyed everyone pictures and comments.    I can't explain my fascination with this couple, and was amazed to discover that there is actually a Duke and Duchess of Windsor Society, based in nearby Palm Desert, California.   Of course I immediately joined! Grin Grin Grin

Mary, Countess of Harewood, and David, March 1953.

Wallis gyrating to the latest dance in 1968.  No doubt David was sitting this one out.

Wallis' last photo in 1979 or 1980.

This is how I choose to remember Wallis, in her last days as Mrs Simpson, in 5 Bryanston Court, flattered by the attention of the King, and about to have the world at her fingertips, so it seemed.   The second storey row of windows between the yellow arrows was the Simpson flat in Bryanston, on George St, London.    I took the picture in 2004, got a peek inside at the lobby and had a short friendly chat with the doorman inside, but afterward spent quite a few minutes outside gazing up at the windows, imagining Wallis parting the sheer curtains as a black limousine drives up, and a slight figure in a grey suit dashes to the front door.   "He's here" she announces to her dinner guests, as their romance begins.

I only missed it by some 70 years, but it's the closest I've come to David and Wallis.

Reply #197
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:03:03 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Nice...It is a good way to remember Mrs. Simpson. However the Duchess of Windsor began her life as Duchess in France (she end up dying there). I wonder what the place looks like now after Afayed sold the contents of the house. BTW Another place of prilgrimage for the Windsors will be the government house in the Bahamas.  Wink
Reply #198
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:26:13 AM »
Grace Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Wallis gyrating to the latest dance in 1968.  No doubt David was sitting this one out.

I think the dance was the "hully gully", in case anyone's interested.  Roll Eyes

I agree, Cunarder, they were a fascinating pair.
Reply #199
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:03:35 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yes The Duchess loves to dance. She once got out of a hospital bed to show the nurse how to dance the Cha-Cha. I also knew she liked doing the Charleston as well.  Wink
Reply #200
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:39:24 AM »
ChristineM Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I find your posting very touching, Cunarder.   I know exactly how you feel, although my particular passion is focused in a different direction - the last Romanov Family and the Alexander Palace, as I read your post, you echoed my own feelings and musings and described those beautifully.

I can agree the Duke and Duchess of Windsor make a colourful, fascinating couple, although she supplied 99 percent of the colour.   Their story contains all the essental ingredients of a really great, enduring romance.   Human love being stronger than a throne and all its glittering associations, seems a very tender quality.   However, I think it was very much more complicated than that.    Their marriage had to endure - but it endured on her terms.   At the end of the day, Wallis Simpson probably did Great Britain a great favour.   As I wrote before, a good Prince of Wales does not necessarily make a good king.   I think Wallis could have made a much better Queen Consort than David could ever have been a good king.   

Edward VIII's successor, George VI, was very much a 'milk and water' monarch.   (The fact that there are no threads here devoted to him, somehow indicates this).   However, he did provide a unifying force.   It was the virtue of family which won that day - very strong aspirational stuff.    Once again, it was the workings of a strong woman which made that reign succeed.   And, for the first time in a century we have a Queen Regnant and, as with Victoria, a large measure Queen Elizabeth II's success as a 21st century constitutional monarch, can be put down to the support of an imaginative, hard working, sometimes ridiculously outspoken, but always fiercely loyal, spouse.   One wonders, will history continue in this fashion? 

There is little doubt that in the UK, our understanding of the history taught about the period immediately before World War II, was strongly influenced by the attitudes of the ruling class.   I try to take the dispassionate view.   However, I still return to the conclusion - the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, yes, they appeared never to be dull, but given the timing, that is not what this country needed.   They would have been a disaster as monarchs.   There was a big enough enemy knocking on the door - Hitler and his Nazi Germany - without creating enemies within.    Rather than being a unifiying force in the face of impending invasion, I fear they would have, at the very best, divided the country.

But hey, life needs colour and romance and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor provided it in bucketfulls.

tsaria
Reply #201
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:24:56 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Me too...Thanks for providing the colour and romance to our lives (David & Wallis !).
Reply #202
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
Emperor of the Dominions Offline
Boyar

View Profile

I wonder if the Duke ever regretted his decision to marry, or if he remained completely besotted with Wallis until the end?

R.I.

God save the Queen !
Reply #203
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:27 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

No...I think he loved her till the end, even though the marriage did have its ups and downs (the Jimmy Donahue episode was one of those).  Wink
Reply #204
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »
aussiechick12 Offline
Graf
.Darling Diana. Posts: 375

View Profile WWW

Some pictures of the young Wallis:

1905:

1898:

"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com
Reply #205
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »
Leuchtenberg

No...I think he loved her till the end, even though the marriage did have its ups and downs (the Jimmy Donahue episode was one of those).  Wink

I agree with you there.  Don't know if Wallis loved him for sure or not.

And Jimmy Donahue....EEEEWWWW.  Now, that was a waste of skin!
Reply #206
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz
a site. Posts: 6652

View Profile

Jimmy Donahue was a carachter in his own right: spoiled, rich and vulgar. Still, I would liked to have watched him in action, staying well clear of him at the same time.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.
Reply #207
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:29:25 PM »
Leuchtenberg

Jimmy Donahue was a carachter in his own right: spoiled, rich and vulgar. Still, I would liked to have watched him in action, staying well clear of him at the same time.

I am sure that one particular sailor he picked up wishes he had done the same.   Cheesy
Reply #208
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz
a site. Posts: 6652

View Profile

I am sure you are right in that! However, that was not the sort of "action" I was thinking of.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.
Reply #209
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »
Grace Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I wonder if the Duke ever regretted his decision to marry, or if he remained completely besotted with Wallis until the end?

R.I.

It is said he adored Wallis with the same intensity until the day he died.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 96 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: