Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457749 times)

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »
Didn't Queen Mary leave them to the Duke in her will, as sort of a gesture of forgiveness, or something like that?

I'm not sure if this is the set or not but, yes, she did leave a pearl necklace to David to give to Wallis.

This might be the necklace.  But I have to wonder...what satisfaction could Wallis have had, wearing it?   Pearls are pearls, just seems a bit wierd to wear the jewels of someone who refused to see you.   

Speaking of illegitimate progeny, this photo nonsense purports to be David's son by a certain Vera Seely, of 1934.  From the book "King of Fools" by John Parker.   I have no proof, but I dismissed the book as just another Kitty Kelley-type smear rag in search of a cheap buck.   

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2006, 02:37:17 AM »
No, the funniest bit about that website is the picture section when they compare Queen Mary to a teenage boy!! Hilarious  ;D ;D ;D

Also check out "Elizabeths grandson (Johns first son)" in 1996 being compared to Prince Albert. To funny.  ;D
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2006, 02:39:45 AM »
No...For Wallis it must be somewhat satisfied to wear your mother-in-law's (How do you do) present. Leave it up to Queen Mary to present a peace offering in jewels (it was known that it is hard to get anything out of that old dragon). Anyway David must be mollified by this olive branch from his estranged family.  ;)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2006, 02:51:50 AM »
(it was known that it is hard to get anything out of that old dragon).

How so? Reference please Eric.

I don't think thats true, she was very generous with presents. Look at the recent auction of Princess Margarets belongings, quite a few lots had been presents from Queen Mary, including that lovely fan.

And Queen Mary was very generous when the QEII married. Maybe someone would like to list the presents she received from her generous Grandmother?

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:30 AM »
The fact that Queen Mary was known more as a pretator of goods than a giver of one. She was very generous to Elisabeth because she was the future Queen. The Queen Mum did not recieve as much from her mother-in-law was clearly evident. One must not forget that after buyind Czarina Marie's jewels, she did not pay Olga her share for many years (causing the poor woman to think that she was cheated of her inheitance). The present queen had to foot out the money to pay her grandmother's debt. That is how generous Queen mary was.  :(

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2006, 03:47:34 AM »

It wasn't that she "used to be a man", so much as they claim she had "androgen insensitivity syndrome", or testicular feminization.  It means someone is born looking female, but has an XY chromosome. 

And you know what though?  Even if she DID have it-which I highly doubt-she was a woman.  She identified as a woman, and that's all that matters-anything else would be her own damned business.

Again, Guinastasia -- do you have any solid evidence for this, or is it just your own personal opinion? 

Solid evidence for what?  That AIS actually exists?  Indeed it does.  That there were nasty rumors about her being intersexed and what not?  Face it, that is fact-there WERE such rumors.  Now, I personally do not believe them.  HOWEVER, my point is, even IF (note the IF) they were, in fact, true, would that really matter?  Would it be anyone else's business?  No.  And it wouldn't be grounds for treating her as some kind of freak. 
As far as the public should be concerned, Wallis was a woman, whether or not she had some kind of disorder (which I don't believe she did). 

I simply wondered what the opinion of serious scholars was.

I'm sorry, Guinastasia, I meant no offence.  I was not querying whether the medical condition you mentioned exists or not.  It's just that in quite a few books I've read on the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, I have never seen the stories you quote about David definitely being infertile and the one about Wallis having a chromosomal abnormality.  I am simply wondering whether these oddball stories should be repeated without a quoted source, that's all.     

Also, I don't see how the "serious scholars" here (whoever they may be!) would be able to provide any sort of opinion on health problems the Windsors may or may not have had without being able to examine genuine medical records pertaining to the couple.     

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »
Well, as far as the Duke is concerned, Wallis herself said he was infertile, and most people noted that he had very little body hair, AND the incidence of the mumps when he was going through puberty.

The rumors about Wallis, I think, were just repeated out of malice.

And I didn't mean scholars here-I just meant what various bios have said.

Anyways, here are some more attractive pictures of the Duchess.  While some of them might be retouched, I don't think the earlier ones are.  She looks almost like Queen Astrid of Belgium in one of them. 

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:15 AM »
The fact that Queen Mary was known more as a pretator of goods than a giver of one. She was very generous to Elisabeth because she was the future Queen. The Queen Mum did not recieve as much from her mother-in-law was clearly evident. One must not forget that after buyind Czarina Marie's jewels, she did not pay Olga her share for many years (causing the poor woman to think that she was cheated of her inheitance). The present queen had to foot out the money to pay her grandmother's debt. That is how generous Queen mary was.  :(

She gave large quantities of jewels to all her daughters-in-law. I don't have the Queen Mother's wedding issue, but the Gloucesters and Kent received many as wedding gifts--including such items as the Cambridge sapphires (Kents) and the turquoise sets that QM received from her own parents. There were numerous brooches and necklaces as well.

I suggest you read Lost Fortune of the Tsars--using actual records, rather than speculation, it puts to rest the rumors of the Empresses sale AND the confusion regarding Olga's inheritance.  >:(
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:34 AM »
The book mentioning Wallis' androgny syndrom is by Michael Bloch- The Duchess of Windsor. One of his 6 books about them ! I do have it after all, forgot all about it for some reason.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
I'd also like to state, for the record, that when I brought this up, I meant absolutely no insult either to the late Duchess, or to those who have AIS or some form of gender ambiguity. Some of the nicest people I know are transgendered, and I have the utmost respect for them.

I was simply curious as to what the general opinion was-whether or not there was actual evidence for the Duchess being AIS or if it was just gossip.

Now then, on to something completely different-I know the family did NOT want her to be an HRH, but could they have compromised and made her a Serene Highness, or even just plain Highness? 

And until we meet again,

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2006, 11:41:52 AM »

Now then, on to something completely different-I know the family did NOT want her to be an HRH, but could they have compromised and made her a Serene Highness, or even just plain Highness? 

Wallis and David would probably have seen this as a slap in the face.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »

I suggest you read Lost Fortune of the Tsars--using actual records, rather than speculation, it puts to rest the rumors of the Empresses sale AND the confusion regarding Olga's inheritance.  >:(

Exactly!! and a good book it it too, sadly I lost mine on a train :(

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »

Wallis and David would probably have seen this as a slap in the face.

That's a shame-they should have been more willing to compromise.  Especially after David failed to mention to the King and his ministers about his assets when they were working out his pension.

BTW, the emerald and turquoise necklace-where is it located-which museum has it, I mean?
And until we meet again,

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
Serene Highness is not a British style I believe. It is generally used for a reigning prince [& consort]
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »
Ah.  Well, is there such a thing as plain "Highness" then? 

And until we meet again,