Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457723 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »
I tend to think Windsor men (all sons of KG V & QM) were mentally weak. They attracted a bevy of strong women marring into the family. From Cookie to Wallis, Alice, Marina, Marie Christine, Diana and now Camilla. All of them are strong in their own way. ???

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2006, 03:58:49 AM »
I think Eric is absolutely right in that assessment.

Unfortunatley I did not see the documentary on the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother the other evening, but a Russian friend who watched it told me she now understands the Queen Mother's attitude to and behavior towards Wallis Simpson.    It was David she wanted to marry.   I understood this, but thought it was because he was then Prince of Wales as well as being infinitely more attractive than his younger brother.    The impression given was that she was genuinely in love with David and continued to love him.   So, although there were plenty other reasons to attribute her antipathy towards Wallis, fundamentally it was because she loved him and always loved him.

However reliable this explanation might be, it does answer many questions.

tsaria

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2006, 03:04:32 PM »
I loved the programme! Very nicely done. But the same old George V bashing  ::) and referring to Queen Mary as a "german princess" which isn't really accurate. They showed some lovely old photos and footage.

Interesting thought re Elizabeths' feelings for David. Though I think Elizabeths antipathy towards Wallis bolied down to a variety of reasons including Wallis making fun of her behind her back and suggesting style changes to her home!! No leo likes to hear that!! :D

As for Wallis I wouldn't be suprised if she wasn't a bit jealous of Elizabeths popularity, lineage and title, of which she craved.

Goodness, imagine if we had had "Queen Wallis" makes me shudder!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2006, 04:05:11 PM »
I loved the programme! Very nicely done. But the same old George V bashing  ::) and referring to Queen Mary as a "german princess" which isn't really accurate. They showed some lovely old photos and footage.

That thing about Queen Mary annoyed me too! Soooo many people get that wrong!  :P But I really enjoyed the programme, especially seeing the footage of the unveiling of the plaque to Queen Mary.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2006, 04:08:46 PM »
I agree! Very interesting seeing the royal family lined up. Princess May was the MOST English of Princesses :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »
If there had been a 'Queen Wallis' would the British Monarchy have survived into the 21st century?

tsaria

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »
Interesting question. I think "King Edward" would have done more damage. The first few months of his reign shows us he wasn't cut out for it. How on earth would he have handled the war? Not a patch on his brother and sister-in-law.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »
I don't usually defend David, but you never know, the war might have brought out the best in him. In the long term though, it wouldn't have been good for the monarchy.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2006, 08:34:44 PM »
Hi all,
I just finished reading this thread and enjoyed every post. I do enjoy discussions about this fascinating couple. Just a note of triva, Wallis Simpson was the first woman to be named "Person of the Year" by Time magazine.
I was wondering if some of you might list some of your favorite books about Wallis and David.
Tampa Bay,
I agree, Wallis was an American and lacked the "civility" of the Brittish.
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2006, 04:46:32 AM »
Hi Lexi. I really enjoyed "Battle Royal" by Kirsty McLeod very readable and interesting IMO. Also Charles Highams bio of Wallis was interesting if a bit dry in places. Phillip Ziegler's "King Edward VIII" is well written.
Iv'e not read Sarah Bradford's "The Reluctant King" yet but hear it's good! :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »
Hi Lexi. I really enjoyed "Battle Royal" by Kirsty McLeod very readable and interesting IMO. Also Charles Highams bio of Wallis was interesting if a bit dry in places. Phillip Ziegler's "King Edward VIII" is well written.
Iv'e not read Sarah Bradford's "The Reluctant King" yet but hear it's good! :)

[/quote
Eddieboy,
Thank you! I appreciate the book suggestions. I may be heading to the book store later today and can pick one up. I am fascinated by the whole Edward/Wallis saga. And watching Royals get their bonnets in a stir is always fun. (I mean no disrespect by that.)
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
I agree that Elisabeth was "in love" with David and like other girls from aristocratic backgrounds hoping to bag the Prince of Wales. However David was into married ladies only (even Wallis was married at the time). That was the reason she kept Bertie waiting until the third proposal (something that "Bertie & Elisabeth" failed to mention). Another reason for her apathy was Wallis lack of tact (She was very forward & direct (sins of being an American) and too showy (remember Hollywood glamour) for the English to stomach). Queen Mary almost at once branded her "an Andventuress" !  ::)

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2006, 10:22:03 PM »
I always get a kick reading any new posts about David and Wallis.   But the idea that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons was "in love" with David is a new one to me.  Maybe my reading has been limited, but I always thought that at least one reason she turned down Bertie's proposals was her distain for assuming a royal life...and all it entailed.   And this when he was second-in-line for the throne, so it seems a bit difficult to imagine that she entertained much desire to become David's wife at all.   Maybe she was intrigued by his free spirit, so unlike the stuffiness of the traditional royal family.  I've always believed her animosity towards Wallis stemmed from her being the official reason for David abdicating (a mere convenient excuse), and placing her and Bertie in a position neither was ready for or wanted.  All of which, she believed, lead to Bertie's early death.  Still,  the suggestion of love between her and David is an exciting "what if..'    I guess we'll never know for sure.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #298 on: November 26, 2006, 10:51:05 PM »
The 'in love' theory showed up in at least one bio (I'm not sure which one) but I wasn't aware that it was given any real credence.  ???
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2006, 03:59:17 AM »
I think she was...even when she thought about the days with David (who was with Thelma then) Elizabeth smiled and said "He was so much fun then...". Anyway who wasn't a little in love with David then ?  :P