Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457739 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2006, 04:12:05 AM »
The 'in love' theory showed up in at least one bio (I'm not sure which one) but I wasn't aware that it was given any real credence.  ???

Royal Feud, Royal Marriages, The Royals and The Rise and Fall of the House of Windsor.

As time goes on the "in-love with David" is gaimimg more credence.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2006, 08:43:50 AM »
But most of those books were pretty tabloidy--has it appeared in any of the more serious biographies of either Elizabeth or Edward VIII?

Being a 'little in love' isn't unlikely given his youthful charm and good looks but in love enough to be so bitter and petty (in some opinions) for decades afterwards? I don't know.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »
I know the D&D of W were interviewed for the "Royal Feud" book.

The Rise and Fall of the House of Windsor was not really a tabloid book though it did quote tabloid gossip in the chapter "House of Windsor & The Press".

The "in love" concept was discussed but not in the context of it being true or false.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2006, 02:48:32 PM »
Wallis was many things but common and vulgar were not two of them.

TampaBay

Oh TB, I think she was. Referring to Elizabeth and Queen Mary as "iced veined bitches" is common. And appearing at balls in ultra viloet dresses is rather vulgar IMO :)

There was a quote from the Queen Mother referencing their vulgarity:

In a letter dated Aug 14, 1940, the Queen Mother (referencing the Windsors then en route to the Bahamas to take up the post of Governor), was extremely irritated about some cables that George VI had received from Walter Monckton that dealt with the Duke's attempts to retrieve some items from his home (in occupied France, mind you) to take them to Nassau. She wrote to Monckton that their preoccupation with such, while Britain was fighting for its survival, was distasteful. She said: "For sheer vulgarity it is hard to beat and though it made us laugh, one's mind went automatically from pink sheets to our poor people spending nights in little tin shelters, and then going to work in the morning."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »

She wrote to Monckton that their preoccupation with such, while Britain was fighting for its survival, was distasteful.

To true!  ::)

Was that the same occasion that Wallis requested her swim suit?? Apparently it was dubbed "Cleopatras whim". Unbelievable!! :D
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »

As time goes on the "in-love with David" is gaimimg more credence.

TampaBay

Credence?   Or is it just myth becoming reality through repetition?i

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »
Quite possibly, Janet, acceptance through suggestion and all that.  :D

As Eric's already said, most young women of the day were in love with David to a degree -- he was blonde, blue eyed and the Prince of Wales!

Apart from a certain sense of fun, I don't think Elizabeth and David had much in common.  Elizabeth may have been fantasising about being Princess of Wales, though, more than any genuine love she felt for David.  It certainly appears also that she was not really in love with Bertie when she accepted his proposal -- had she not refused him at least once previously?

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2006, 07:28:47 PM »
-- had she not refused him at least once previously?

Supposedly it was the third proposal from him that she accepted.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »
Yes...Indeed it was the third. When George V open the flood gates to allow the aristocratic girl into intermarry with the Royal Family, Queen Mary had eyed Lady Elisabeth Bowes-Lyon as one of those being "suitable". It would not be too much for Elisabeth to hope for the top (Like Lady Diana Spencer years later). And yes, David was one with the idol looks (Blond and blue-eyed--the type that is still popluar today...eg. Beckham). However Elisabeth was a sensible girl and accepted the one that came for her. She evidently enjoyed David's company and visits to the Fort enthrolled her. That is before Wallis entered into the picture.

As for Wallis's extragence, I don't think she could be blamed. She wasn't even in Britian ! How can she share or understand the situation there  (not to mention the fact that she was rejected there). As far as she was considered, she was only living up her life as the consort of a royal-in-exile. The greater blame should be David. He was the one who saw the hardship and cried "Something should be done about the hardship of the miners in Britian !". Had the exile had enbittered him to forget his country ? Anyway Elisabeth was not living in poverty (she got more dress coupons) and Windsor Castle was laden with the luxury of food.

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »

This post seemed more appropriate in the D&D of Windsor thread rather than continue in the Queen Mary Pt 3 thread.

I'm not sure if this is the same safari outfit referenced by boffer and RN in that thread, but this one was offered in the Sotheby's auction, estimated opening bid $1500-2000.   Circa 1925.

As David described it:
When in East Africa I designed a special type of safari shorts.  These were made of thick khaki drill, which could be worn long, in the bush, to protect the knees from long grasses and thorny underbrush, or could be buttoned up above the knee for the sake of coolness on the march in more open country.  (A Family Album p.86)

Seems like a very sensible innovation, but I'm wondering whether it was one his father approved of.  Not that it mattered much to David.  ;D

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2006, 08:58:55 PM »
It is going to the auction as of now ?  ???

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »

I don't know whether the outfit sold at the Sept 16 1997 Sotheby's auction, or if it's the one referred to in the previous QM Pt 3 thread.   I would guess David had several in his wardrobe.   Here's a rather fuzzy shot of him in Uganda, 1928, in the center, standing, with the cane.  He's not wearing his "designer shorts" as shown in the previous photo above. 

Closeup of the Sotheby's outfit, with the customized shorts.

I am not a collector...if fact I've been pruning down my "stuff" for the past few years.  I enjoy seeing photos of what's in public and private collections, wonderful websites like this, and admiring them as such.   But if I WERE a collector of memorabilia, something like this doll would be fascinating to have.   It's a chimney-sweep figure, made by Queen Mary, then Princess of Wales, and given to David as a child.  He kept this doll by his bedside until he died.   Such an incredibly personal item...when I think about it, too personal and private really for me to consider, but what a fantastic historical item, and the intimate connections and stories probably behind it.  It was seen still in David's bedroom, on his nightstand, after the Windsor Villa's restoration by Mohammed Al Fayed, shown on the "Edward on Edward" video produced in 1996..  It was offered (for $800-1200!) on the Sotheby's auction at the same time as the safari outfit in 1997.   For me, this type of item would be worth more than a closet full of the Windsor's finery.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2006, 11:27:37 PM »
Absolutely Cunarder--that would be the kind of item I'd love to get.

While it's just a single item, I think it helps to flesh out a bit of the mother/son relationship. I don't think I've ever read,in bios of either person, that Queen Mary made toys for any of her children, let alone that EVIII would've held onto such an item for his entire life. It's such a contrast to some of the bitter statements he made about his mother as well as showing a softer, more traditionally maternal side of Queen Mary. I would think that an anecdote such as this would be as important as any of the angry statements that EVIII made that are so endlessly repeated.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:13 AM »
Yes, I believe Queen Mary also started an album for each of her children, recording all their milestones in growth etc.  This is another example that she was not an uncaring mother as she has at times been portrayed.  I wonder if these were eventually given to each child and what has happened to them since.  ???