Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457736 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #330 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
They were "highly placed" non-royals though -- Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott were not simply girls off the street.  They were "well bred" titled young British ladies.  Wallis was twice-divorced "with two husbands living" and was a rather brash American lady who either had no idea, or chose to ignore, protocols surrounding the royal family.

In the last photo Cunarder has posted, for the first time I can see a resemblance between the Duke and his father King George V -- something about the eyes.  :o 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:24:57 PM by Grace »

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 16, 2006, 06:18:27 PM »
I don't think anyone questions the divorced part.

I've read that Marina refered to Alice & Elizabeth as those "common scot girls", so to some they were'nt that highly placed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:22:25 PM by Keith »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2006, 07:04:45 PM »
Well, they probably were 'common' to someone whose mother was an Imperial Highness. They were still many steps up the ladder from Wallis though--the daughter of a Duke (Buccleuch) and an Earl (Strathmore).

Here's a photograph of the couple by the famed photographer Philippe Halsmann. He had a tradition of getting subjects to jump for him--they were later compiled into the Jump Book. Of all the men who jumped for Mr. Halsman, the Duke was the only male to remove his shoes.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

s66405h

« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
Here’s a link to the cover of Time in 1937 for

Wallis Warfield Simpson, Woman of the Year
http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19370104,00.html

and the link to the article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,762329,00.html

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 17, 2006, 05:53:51 AM »
The Prime Minister provoked the entire crisis, which otherwise might never have arisen as a crisis, by making publicly in the House of Commons the first official statement that King Edward was actually resolved to marry Mrs. Simpson (TIME, Dec. 14). This fact had been ascertained as a "scoop" personally by William Randolph Hearst, but had it not been made official. Edward VIII might simply have done nothing until after he was crowned May 12, and then (Mrs. Simpson having meanwhile obtained her absolute divorce on April 27), His Majesty had only to marry her and she would have been Queen.

I think the highlighted quote above from 1937 Time Magazine Woman of the Year Story backs up the point I have made along; The D & D of Windsor were not that smart.

OR

Edward did not want to be KING.

I sticky by my hypothesis; The D & D of Windsor were not that smart.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #335 on: December 17, 2006, 08:15:25 AM »
Well, even if Edward had waited till after his coronation, he would still have had to announce his intention to marry to his Cabinet, wouldn't he? And even if Wallis was divorced from Ernest Simpson by then it wouldn't have made much difference - it would still have provoked a constitutional crises. I certainly agree with you though, TB - they weren't smart at all.

And Grace, I see what you mean - I can see the resemblance too!  :o
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

s66405h

« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »
So who are the smart English Royals of the 20th Century?  My vote goes to King Edward VII and Queen Elizabeth II then King George V in that order.  Queen Victoria was barely into that century and I think too emotional to be smart.  But what do I know?  I live in the US.  Queen Elizabeth is the only British Monarch alive in my lifetime.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »
Depends on your definition of smart - intelligent, or 'savvy'?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2006, 05:49:28 PM »
Edward VII had more intelligence than he was ever given credit for during his life time.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

s66405h

« Reply #339 on: December 17, 2006, 06:15:14 PM »
Maybe a combination of intelligence and savy both!

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2006, 06:15:45 PM »
Well, even if Edward had waited till after his coronation, he would still have had to announce his intention to marry to his Cabinet, wouldn't he? And even if Wallis was divorced from Ernest Simpson by then it wouldn't have made much difference - it would still have provoked a constitutional crises. I certainly agree with you though, TB - they weren't smart at all.

And Grace, I see what you mean - I can see the resemblance too!  :o

Prince Lieven,
Could you please explain for me what type of constitutional crisis it would have provoked? Thank you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2006, 06:25:13 PM »

Wallis visits David's grave at Frogmore in 1973, with Mountbatten and the Duke of Kent.

I thought there was only a mausoleum at Frogmore, but are there other burial plots like David's (and now Wallis') as well?

Does anyone have a photo of either or both inscriptions?   I would love to be able to see them.  Thanks.  :)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2006, 07:29:55 PM »
Edward VII had more intelligence than he was ever given credit for during his life time.

TampaBay
Perhaps there was a reason for that ? The man was a bimbo, Wallis had the only smarts in that family.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2006, 07:44:41 PM »
Sir Robert, Lord Hall

I was refering to Edward VII husband of Queen Aleandra not Edward VIII Duke of Windsor husband of Wallis!

TampaBay

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
Oh dearie me, I am so sorry. The topic of this thread led me astray into sloppy reading.
 Of course EVII was pretty sharp cookie, if a sodden philanderer of the highest degree.
Yet, my assessment of the Windsor pair remains, pond scum of the gene pool.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.