Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457733 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #375 on: January 01, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »
Pardon me, a newbie, but I'm going to take this thread in another direction.  Reading over the thread I run into this:

This can't be a necklace!!! It cries kokoshnik doesn't it?  Being the strong-willed, fashion savy person she was, I'm sure Wallis wore this kokoshnik-style.  Is there such a picture in existence?  I doubt it.  Probably used it as a play bauble to make the pugs lunge.

It is a necklace!!! If you study photos of Wallis, you will see she favored bib necklaces and chunky choker necklaces.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 01, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »
Pardon me, a newbie, but I'm going to take this thread in another direction.  Reading over the thread I run into this:

Please go ahead and do so.  I am dying to get into further discussion about the style of Wallis!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Alix of Wales had Panache

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 01, 2007, 03:06:21 PM »
Seeing this picture, the respect I had forWallis's style sense went considerably up.  Thank you kindly,
CountessKate.

Of course only with a dress lacking distractive patterns could a necklace like that appear snazzy.  All I kept thinking of was yuck!

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 01, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
Wallis 's clothes were usually very simple to prove an effective background for her stupendous jewels....

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 01, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
CountessKate,
I love that photo of Wallis! She was quite striking.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 01, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
JMO, but the parsley and ketchup bib necklace would have made a far better sun visor than necklace. 

Just think how fabulous Wallis would have looked playing tennis in the South of France wearing a shortened version of her monkey or lobster dress with a ruby, emerald and gold visor.  It begins to conjure a rather gruesome image at first, but I think she may have been able to pull it off.  ;) ;D :o :P 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2007, 05:24:04 AM »
EE,

Keep'em coming!!! 

TampaBay

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »

RN

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »

I've always wondered if the photographer intended any symbolism with the wire "loop" in this photo.

This was taken while she was still Mrs Simpson, but involved with the King.  Sort of remind's one of a hangman's noose, doesn't it?

Wallis and David in their apartment at the Waldorf, New York.  From the televised interview with Edward R. Murrow. Neither came across as particularly comfortable in this interview.  Wallis, especially, with her high-pitched and rather loud voice.  The most awkward part of it to watch was Murrow's question "have either of you ever thought of what MIGHT have been.?"  A reference of course to the abdication.   They both looked at each other in silence, David folded his hands on his knees and pitched forward, stumbling a few times before the words came to him.  "Well, Mr Murrow, <clears his throat> I think you must be referring to the events of 19 hundred and 36.  Well I must say most emphatically that the answer is no."   Wallis, during his lengthy response, mimicked his position, hands on knees, and pitched forward to stare at the floor.
It was obvious to see her discomfort, that she knew the question had come out of nowhere, landed in David's lap, and even though he was talking, that the eyes of the world were concentrating on her. Murrow changed the subject, and Wallis gave a demonstation of her skill of playing ball and jacks.     It was one interview I'm sure they both regretted granting.

Sometimes it's better not to be King.  :)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »
Very interesting, Cunarder.  The Murrow interview comes across as very awkward indeed.  Edward seems to have mistaken the question "have either of you ever thought of what MIGHT have been?" for a suggestion that he was not happy with his decision, when everybody knew he was.  Even so, if, as he claimed, he never even thought about the enormous event of his abdication, I'm afraid it doesn't say a great deal about him as an individual with any depth.  I don't know why he even granted interviews, unless he just wanted to talk about his garden or his latest cravat...

Honestly, it was a good thing he went, in my opinion.  :(

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
I agree...

Love the bib necklace too !  ;)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »
I've always wondered if the photographer intended any symbolism with the wire "loop" in this photo.
This was taken while she was still Mrs Simpson, but involved with the King.  Sort of remind's one of a hangman's noose, doesn't it?

Oh, how very macabre.  I prefer to think of it as a representation of the old Vaudeville cane that would hook the performers off the stage before they out wore their welcome.  :P 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
A letter to the Editor in Time magazine from someone who was not a fan of the Duke:

Posted Monday, Mar. 8, 1937
Edward & Emeralds

Sirs:

While I greatly enjoy reading your weekly pungent comments, I must be allowed to tell you that some of your conclusions are utterly and entirely wrong. ... At least 95% of the British Empire are utterly disgusted with Edward VIII. . . . He allowed himself to be shown tied to his mistress' apron strings in public and was absolutely at her feet, not only in his private life but was influenced by her in public affairs, especially foreign politics. His behaviour to his mother, Queen Mary, is notoriously bad and was instigated by Mrs. Simpson. His professions of great concern for the unemployed which were used by his clique of cronies, headed by Esmond Harmsworth, as the weapon to upset the Government were rather insincere when compared with the facts. He gave 10, ($50) on his Welsh visit, for the unemployed. On the other hand, he dismissed hundreds of employees at Balmoral & Sandringham, and sold off everything on these properties which was salable, and with the money thus saved and raised, he bought priceless emeralds for Mrs. Simpson. These emeralds were the property of Queen Alexandra who left them to Princess Victoria, who in turn sold them to Garrard's of Bond Street, where King Edward bought them. . . .

You must remember he cost the British nation a lot of money and they do not choose to see their money go into the pockets of Mrs. Simpson. Foreign newspaper correspondents, especially Americans, have the habit of mixing entirely too much with their own kind, and instead of getting the point of view of the man in the street, they absorb each other's impressions. Inevitably they tend to make a hero of the man or woman who gives them news and this is a great error. . . .

While I am an American citizen, I have many relations in England, and am in touch with British reactions very closely. My brother is a member of the Reform Club of London, where naturally he meets many of the most prominent British politicians. As to the emeralds, I should have added that Garrard's the jewelers who bought them from Princess Victoria, sent them to Cartier's in Paris, and it was actually Cartier's who made the sale, on behalf of Garrard's to King Edward. As I said before, these stones are very large and magnificent, but have many flaws. The lady who gave me this information, is a personal friend of Queen Mary and members of the Royal Family, but I cannot tell you her name.

May I suggest to you that the lady who will be very much in the eye of society, if not the public, will be the Hon. Mrs. Ronald Greville, a very rich lady, who has always been very much with the new King & Queen (indeed their honeymoon was spent at Polesden Lacey, her country house) and who is supposed to have named the Queen as her eventual heiress.

E. A. L. BENNETT Paris, France

[I posted the part about the emerald jewels in the Windsor Jewels section but this is the whole letter.] He did, it seems, let go many servants on those 2 named properties (and during the Depression), in marked contrast to his father and grandfather who were much-loved stewards. GV was even referred to in many tributes as the 'Squire of Sandringham'.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
Interesting letter. I notice the writer is from Paris.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
Yes ! An American in Paris.  ;)