Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457730 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »

The Duchess in the 1950's.

Camilla's necklace looks like something Wallis would wear.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
Judging from the above two pics, I think Camilla pulls it off better than Wallis.   The Duchess of Windsor dressed for attention.  In her own words, "I am nothing to look at.  I'm not a beautiful woman.  The least I can do is attempt to dress better than anyone else in the room."   

The Duchess of Cornwall, while not classically "beautiful," seems to have a confidence about her image that maybe Wallis lacked.  In all the pictures of her posted here, I've never viewed Camilla as anything but an elegant, and sometimes understated, consort to Charles.  Everyone has hits and misses now and then, and if she does, it seems that Camilla errs on the side of good taste.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »
I beg to differ. Wallis was deemed more of a clothes house and elegant woman, while Camilla seemed not very comfortable with elegant clothes. In fact she looked better in daywear than in pearls and designer gowns (unlike Princess Diana).  ???

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
I'm probably too biased and have read too much about Wallis to now think of her as "elegant."   Her clothing may have been, but I can think of many other adjectives to more accurately describe her, some flattering, some less so.    Fashion and jewelry were her passion, and on the surface, she worn them well.

I don't know enough about Camilla to judge her as critically as Wallis, so I probably shouldn't compare the two, to be fair.

But I like what I see so far.  :)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 05, 2007, 12:55:43 AM »
Indeed ! Wallis was elegant personalified in her clothes & jewels (a fashion icon like Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn and Diana Vreeland). Camilla was lovely in her natural looking dress and radiated a relaxed look. She does managed to look smart after much prep, however I doubt she would be the next clothes hourse for the House of Windsor.  ;)

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 05, 2007, 11:24:24 AM »

The Duchess in the 1950's.

Camilla's necklace looks like something Wallis would wear.

TampaBay

The necklace Wallis wears in that picture was part of her large collection of costume jewelry..

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 05, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »
Wally does looked glorious !  ;D

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 05, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
Well, each to their own, I guess, but I don't like this pose for Wallis at all - it doesn't suit her in my opinion - it's too "debutante".  She looks as immaculate as ever in it but is too mature for this style of photo and I don't think she looks particularly comfortable in it either.  ??? 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 06, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
I think Wallis has enough Pazzaz to pull this through.  ;D

Offline damaskrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
How wonderful to find there is still so much interest in the romance of the century! I hope you all have read Greg King's wonderful work "The uncommon life of The Duchess of Windsor" I can assure you all,whether you have great or even remote interest in this couple,this book makes fascinating reading.The photo's so generously provided are a real treat.I'm just hoping against all odds that caustic comments regarding this couple can be kept to a minimum.They were villified beyond reason during their lifetimes.Greg's book shows the other side of their story,while not sugar coating anything,his myriad sources  are  well researched. Thanks to all here who have contributed.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2007, 04:34:32 AM »
I think the Windsors does have postive aspects too. Too many tried to focus on their faults. As one said "Thank God for Wally to take him away, otherwise we will have a very contraversal king...instead of a very reliable one."... ;)

Offline damaskrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2007, 04:36:36 PM »
Great point Eric,He was controversial  for his time.A modern king,who would do away with the trappings of what he deemed an antiquated system.Not a popular stand.I too,have always been very surprised at how quick so many fall to that line of "she did us a favor"In truth,Edward the VIII was never given a chance,not only as king but in any other role of merit.It would have been in everyone's interest to let this man serve his country in some capacity,that would have allowed him to return .He died with England on his lipsThey allowed his corpse to return ,and thankfully allowed his wife to also be with him at Frogmore.I personally feel he was treated horribly,it grieves me that even today so many are so bitter. :'(

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2007, 10:03:11 PM »
Of course he had a chance, damaskrose - he was Prince of Wales for 25 years (and was very popular during that time).  He was king for less than one year and the consensus is that he didn't do a very good job during that short time.  Probably he did have talents and abilities but they were certainly not of a royal kind.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2007, 04:22:14 AM »
Grace - You have summed up the life and times of the former King Edward VIII perfectly... and oh, so diplomatically.

tsaria

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2007, 06:51:13 AM »
Like all the Windsor men (George V, George VI and Charles), the right wife for Edward VIII would have made him or broke him. 

David chose the right wife to "make" him but not the right wife to "to make" a successful King of England.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.